Evaluating the defense heading into the bye week

naptownskinsfan

Lets look at some snap counts:

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-was-6.php 

DT: Jon Allen has played the most total snaps, but only because Payne missed the first two weeks of the season.  Daron Payne has been playing more snaps than Allen since his return.  Pre-injury, Ioannidis was playing on approximately half of all defensive snaps.  It looks like to replace him, we've done a combination of increasing Settle, Chase Young and Kerrigan's snaps.  So Settle isn't getting all of Ioannidis snaps.  I actually think that is a smart plan. 

DE: Chase Young missed a game, but the last two games he's had the most defensive snaps along the DLine of anyone not named Payne.  As mentioned, Kerrigan has seen his snaps go up since Ioannidis went down.  Sweat has been pretty consistently only playing around 70% of defensive snaps, I wonder why that is?  I could argue he's been our best pass rusher.  

LB: Until he was ejected Jon Bostic had been playing 100% of all defensive snaps.  I would guess that's because he calls the defensive plays and adjustments, but he isn't talented enough to be playing that many snaps.  A lot of people complained that Cole Holcomb hasn't been playing, but since returning from injury he's played approximately 70% of snaps, which basically completely usurped Shaun Dion Hamilton and Thomas Davis' snaps.  Kevin Pierre Lewis started playing nearly 100% of snaps, but has dropped to around 70% consistently.  I would guess from the snap counts we've been playing a lot of nickel with only 2 linebackers on the field since Week 3.  

CB: Since returning from injury Kendall Fuller essentially plays all snaps.  Darby was too until Moreau returned from injury, and it looks like Moreau spells him for around 20-30% of snaps per game.  Moreland's snap counts are all over the place, but he's been around 60-80% the past two weeks, which is where I suspect some of those linebackers snaps are going.  

S: The first 4 weeks Collins and Apke were practically playing all snaps.  After Apke got benched in Week 5, Deshazor Everett is the one who saw his snaps increase, not Curl.  Once Collins went down Curl came in last week.  

I don't see a lot of questionable decisions here.  The snap counts look good to me.  Only criticism would be maybe give Sweat more snaps and reduce Anderson's.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

I didn’t really realize how much we missed Cole Holcomb until he played on Sunday. He was great. 

I think we have a good defense, but it’s not great. Next offseason - either in the draft or in FA - we need to upgrade the LB & safety positions if we want to have a top 10 D that creeps towards being regarded as one of the best in the NFL.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2020 at 7:40 AM, RSkinGM said:

Apparently C Y is playing great ! I'm still waiting to see The Predator, Superman, Generational , Game Changer, Can't Miss player as advertised . 

I agree...

I know he's just a rookie, but I'm expecting more from him than I'm getting.

In fact, the guy who's playing like the can't miss, generational superman stud is not Chase Young. It's been Montez Sweat.

Sweat had 7 sacks as a rookie. (More than Dexter Manley his rookie season even though it wasn't recorded then)

Who knows what Sweat is going to get this year. Absolutely worth trading up for this beast.

Chase Young has 2 1/2 sacks I believe and has been dinged up. Hopefully this bye week will help his hammy issues.

Young needs to step it up, imo. I know he's been good vs the run & disruptive. Which is good.

But I want to see sacks, forced fumbles, etc. Game changing type plays.

Because I thought that's what generational can't miss Pass rushing DE's are supposed to do.

I want to see Reggie White out there....

Not Renaldo Wynn...

Sorry, my expectations are high...😜

• Like 1

Chase Young gets double teamed, just watch the game. It’s not just about sacks, Chase is more complete. You can see it when you watch. He constantly beats double teams in the run game, he gets pressure on the QB through double teams a great example is his pressure which caused Daniel Jones to throw the int which Kendall Fuller got.

You could argue and I will, that the attention that’s given to Chase has helped free up Sweat and Kerrigan when they’re in the game to make more plays. Let’s not forget that the game & a half that Chase missed Sweat & Kerrigan didn’t do much and those were probably our worst 6 quarters as a defense this year.

I think it’s pretty ridiculous to act like Chase Young’s season is over or something after just 5.5 games played... He does have a forced fumble, it was recovered by Ryan Kerrigan and Kerrigan almost scored on the play after recovering it.

Do we not remember that Sweat had 2 sacks the first half of last year and then 5 sacks the second half of the year and Sweat played every game?

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1