Sign in to follow this  
ET80

Oh my God! We're having a fire... sale!!!

24 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

If we really have an eye to the future and are going all in on the offense, we have to trade Roby by the deadline for anything. His cap hit in a trade is not much. We would save enough money to basically sign our entire rookie class. 

I'm back and forth on this - on one hand, Roby could land some picks for us, good picks that could go over well.

On the other hand - Roby might be miscast as a #1 CB, but he could be a very high end #2 CB for us. His contract isn't prohibitive short or long term; If a FA such as Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman were to come over as a #1 CB, Roby would be a very nice compliment on the other side, a guy who can shift inside to a slot CB to let Gaeron Conley play the nickel boundary in 2021. 

There is a lot of moving parts in the "keep Roby" scenario, so that's why it's unlikely. But, it's a workable scenario to try to jump start a secondary next season.

It would be similar to when Kareem Jackson went from a #1 to a #2 when Jonathan Joseph arrived - not only did Joseph turn into a top tier 1, but Kareem found his mojo covering guys on the other side. Roby is good, he's got some big moments; He's not elite, but he's closer to elite than he is expendable.

• Like 1

I’m not a cap expert but I think I’ve found enough websites to figure out the potential savings for next season for trades 

Mercilus saves us around 7 million for next year 

Roby saves us 9 million for next year 

Cunningham saves us 2 million next year

No other trades save us any money next year that we couldn’t get by simply cutting the player 

24 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Cunningham saves us 2 million next year

I feel like this is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Cunningham is having a bad season, yes. But he's a damn fine player, we've seen him operate at a very high level over the past few years. His funk is probably moreso due to Anthony Weaver's inability to be a good DC combined with the loss of DJ Reader. Get him a good scheme, get him some good NT/DT play and he's back to a playable standard IMO.

A $2mm savings is nothing given the calibur of player he is when he's playing well; You're not finding an adequate replacement for double that $2mm savings, so why trade him unless you're getting a 1/2 round pick?

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

No other trades save us any money next year that we couldn’t get by simply cutting the player 

Nick Martin doesn't save us anything? I'm showing he's got a $8.75m cap hit with a $2.5m dead cap figure - that's a $6.25m savings. 

Edit: Nevermind, you specifically said trading over cutting. Daylight savings, can't read.

I think we can all agree that Martin is a guy who can be upgraded - heck, Zach Fulton might be that upgrade. We already have Fulton's replacement in Max Scharping, so give it a go.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Nick Martin doesn't save us anything? I'm showing he's got a $8.75m cap hit with a $2.5m dead cap figure - that's a $6.25m savings. 

Edit: Nevermind, you specifically said trading over cutting. Daylight savings, can't read.

I think we can all agree that Martin is a guy who can be upgraded - heck, Zach Fulton might be that upgrade. We already have Fulton's replacement in Max Scharping, so give it a go.

I 100% disagree with getting rid of Martin. He’s not a financial liability and we have no way of upgrading the position. He’s serviceable 

unless we go with a system where the center makes the reads. Then He might not be able to handle it 

Edited by Pastor Dillon

The browns are having a potentially playoff season for the first time in forever. With OBJ going down for the season, they should offer us a 3rd for cooks and see if we take it. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I 100% disagree with getting rid of Martin. He’s not a financial liability and we have no way of upgrading the position. He’s serviceable 

He's the 4th highest paid C in the NFL. Is he the 4th best C in the NFL? I'd say that's an emphatic NO. He might not even be top 10.

Traditionally, you can find reasonable replacements (read: Not an UPGRADE, but a lateral pickup) in the mid rounds, one that'll come in at a much lower price.

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

He's the 4th highest paid C in the NFL. Is he the 4th best C in the NFL? I'd say that's an emphatic NO. He might not even be top 10.

Traditionally, you can find reasonable replacements (read: Not an UPGRADE, but a lateral pickup) in the mid rounds, one that'll come in at a much lower price.

Yeah but we don’t have the draft capitol to use a 3rd or 4th round pick for a center. I’ve always disagreed with you about Martin though, you’ve never liked him. I wouldn’t go messing with his spot when we have totally liabilities like Fulton out there. 

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Yeah but we don’t have the draft capitol to use a 3rd or 4th round pick for a center. 

I'm not even saying that high - 5th round onwards works for me. You're not upgrading but I also don't think you're downgrading either.

I’ve always disagreed with you about Martin though, you’ve never liked him. 

I liked him when he was drafted and gave him benefit when he was on his rookie deal - he was hurt a lot coming up. I liked him better than Ben Jones, if that means anything. That 2nd contract changed the math for me, though.

I wouldn’t go messing with his spot when we have totally liabilities like Fulton out there. 

I don't necessarily disagree with this - but continuity along the line was supposed to be a strength THIS year, and it hasn't really been for the most part.

I think Martin is the quintessential "tough, smart, dependable" guy who was overpaid and overrated by Billy McButtchin. New regime needs to purge those guys.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm not even saying that high - 5th round onwards works for me. You're not upgrading but I also don't think you're downgrading either.

I liked him when he was drafted and gave him benefit when he was on his rookie deal - he was hurt a lot coming up. I liked him better than Ben Jones, if that means anything. That 2nd contract changed the math for me, though.

I don't necessarily disagree with this - but continuity along the line was supposed to be a strength THIS year, and it hasn't really been for the most part.

I think Martin is the quintessential "tough, smart, dependable" guy who was overpaid and overrated by Billy McButtchin. New regime needs to purge those guys.

you want to take our line and put a 5th round rookie at the center spot? no way. If Schapring could play center, then maybe I move Martin, I know he worked out there a lot this season

So much for that.