Parsons vs...

Hunter2_1

He's a great player but not a guy I'm mortgaging my franchise for.  Character concerns have been a question for him at times even leading up to before he enrolled at PSU.  He has two good years of film but is not the perfect prospect.  Personally, I wouldn't take the guy top 10.  Too many questions and at a position you don't necessarily have to take super high.  He has a lot of potential though. 

As for the question at hand, I have him right there with those names you mentioned.  He's nowhere near as clean of a prospect as a Devin White or a Roquan coming out. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Remember that one time where Ohio St. had to stop recruiting him and let him go to Penn St. because he walked onto the Gameday set for the Ohio St. vs. Oklahoma game

Good times

And then after the game he told the truth and said that Dwayne Haskins should have been playing over JTB.  Basically he pissed off the locker room of current players at the time and they didn't want him on the team. 

On 10/29/2020 at 4:56 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Didn't realise he had a character concerns. I'm over here smitten because we desperately need a fast LB, but we don't desperately need a diva.

Yeah, that's a label I don't feel comfortable placing on him, none of that stuff was when he was in a PSU uniform. 

Kind of reminds me of Ryan Shazier meaning he as an elite athlete and Defensive End as a high school prospect but turned into an a damned good linebacker. Basically, he is an elite athlete, with elite eyes who takes elite angles. I can easily see him being a Kuechly type of impact as a backer with LEGIT pass rush ability. 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, that's a label I don't feel comfortable placing on him, none of that stuff was when he was in a PSU uniform. 

Kind of reminds me of Ryan Shazier meaning he as an elite athlete and Defensive End as a high school prospect but turned into an a damned good linebacker. Basically, he is an elite athlete, with elite eyes who takes elite angles. I can easily see him being a Kuechly type of impact as a backer with added pass rush ability. 

Sounds as good as I was expecting. Sounds absolutely perfect for us, but I'm not sure if we'll be in range. Might be just outside of it. He's top 5, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Sounds as good as I was expecting. Sounds absolutely perfect for us, but I'm not sure if we'll be in range. Might be just outside of it. He's top 5, right?

Definitely a top 5 player, with his skillset, instincts and athleticism. But of course QB inflation will always push guys down so he may be right out side of it

41 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Personally, i'd have some reservations about taking a guy top 10 who hasn't had live game reps in over a year.  This is a crucial time in development, and not getting those game reps will hurt.  To what extent we can't know, but it's definitely an issue.

I think that maybe the case with fringe players but with guys who have enough film and will test off the charts like him and say a guy like Gregory Rosseau wont affect that much, scouts see what they need to see. Now im definitely with you on the premise because it's true in a lot of cases but with Parsons, his impact and film he already has is evident. The worst that could happen is he slide to 7 or so which would be a huge win for whoever that is that takes him

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, Jeezla said:

Best MLB prospect since Kuechley, but not in Kuechley/P Willis tier. I would take him over Bush/White/Roquan/LVE/Mosley/Hightower/McKinney.

Pretty solid assessment, but I think he CAN be on the top tier.   Maybe not as a prospect, but I think he can reach that level in the NFL.  The talent is there.

From what I saw last year I was smitten with Patrick Queen (glad my team took him) until I watched Micah Parsons.

I don’t know about character and all that, but on physicality, athleticism, and instincts... he’s the best prospect I’ve seen since Patrick Willis. I don’t know if I paid enough attention to his coverage though, but if it checks out, he’s a AP level LB talent, while I projected Queen to be PB level.

I questioned Queens sure tackling ability, his tackle strength, and his zone coverage instincts... those concerns have all shown up in the pros in one way or another. I don’t anticipate at least two of those concerns to plague Parsons at the next level. But after over a year off from football, we’ll see. That’s a lot of time for a player to lose that edge.