Rumor: Jets looking to trade DT Quinnen WIlliams?

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't get this.  It's like, what do potential first overall picks think will happen?  The team picking first overall will be a good team? 

It's not the on-field talent, it's the FO and ownership that's raising eyebrows. Trading the #3 overall pick after 1.5 seasons? It's not a performance issue, either - Williams isn't a bad player. What's the end game with this decision.

John Elway didn't hold out from the Colts because the Colts had a lack of good players. Same with Eli. Both held out because Jim Irsay Sr/Dean Spanish were not good owners when it came to building a contender.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't get this.  It's like, what do potential first overall picks think will happen?  The team picking first overall will be a good team? 

Bengals, Cardinals, Browns, Browns, Rams, Buccaneers, Texans, Chiefs, Colts, Panthers, Rams, Lions, Dolphins, Raiders, Texans, Niners, Chargers, Bengals, Texans, Falcons, Browns, Browns, Colts.

All of those teams picked first overall because they were really, really, really bad. 

The Jets are currently with a bad staff.  Gase and Douglas should both be fired.  If that happens, what makes the Jets any different from any other team that could draft him?

They've got a franchise left tackle and if they were to draft Lawrence, they'd have draft capital from losing badly this year, trading Williams, likely trading Darnold...

No first overall pick goes to a good team loaded with talent.  If they were a good team loaded with talent, they wouldn't be picking first overall. 

When the organization itself is clearly dysfunctional, that's the issue. 

Just now, Danger said:

You guys already march out Payne and Allen. Is two 1st round pick DT's from Alabama not good enough for you?

The Greek is out for the year & I believe it's a contract year for him. I have no idea if they plan to bring him back.

He'll probably cost more, than we will want to spend. 

Trading for Q. Williams still on his rookie contract would be ideal in maintaining our D-line as a strength.

JDL rotates his D-line pretty often, keeping them fresh.

Obviously, we need to spend resources at other positions of need, but keeping the D-line a strength would be nice to see.

Either way, I doubt the Jets trade Williams.

But if they are seriously considering offers?

I would definitely sniff around.

I wonder if there’s any character concerns or perhaps this is a culture move. Minkah was traded as a culture move, even though he was highly talented. Minkah didn’t believe in the Dolphins and Douglas might be trying to build some sort of locker room culture for his new HC.

Or perhaps there’s some sort of medical concern that we don’t know about?

If it’s a Minkah situation I’d love for the Ravens to make a move. Set the defense up for years to come along the DI. I doubt we can trade for a a good WR anyway, might as well just build the front 7 to have tons of guys to throw at Mahomes and Big Ben.

54 minutes ago, Danger said:

When the organization itself is clearly dysfunctional, that's the issue. 

I'm sure the same could have been said for the Bengals, Cards, and Browns before: perennial losers with an image problem who still drafted the #1 projected QB. If the Jets remove Gase, I'm sure that will help things a ton.

7 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I'm sure the same could have been said for the Bengals, Cards, and Browns before: perennial losers with an image problem who still drafted the #1 projected QB. If the Jets remove Gase, I'm sure that will help things a ton.

Sure, if they get rid of both Gase and Douglas.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Sure, if they get rid of both Gase and Douglas.

A year ago, Douglas was widely considered to be a prized GM candidate - some would argue too good for the Jets job. His first draft, by all accounts, was very well received. 

Firing Douglas after 1.5yrs would launch this organization into a whole new stratosphere of dysfunction.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, August4th said:

was he like a top 3-5 pick just last yr? what did Jet fans do to deserve this?

Doesn't surprise me.  He hasn't lived up to his draft status.   I was personally never sold him before the draft.  I thought Jeffrey Simmons and Dexter Lawrence were significantly better prospects.

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

A year ago, Douglas was widely considered to be a prized GM candidate - some would argue too good for the Jets job. His first draft, by all accounts, was very well received. 

Firing Douglas after 1.5yrs would launch this organization into a whole new stratosphere of dysfunction.

Agreed. Even if they trade Williams saying they should get rid of Douglas makes even less sense than the organization wanting to trade Williams for a 2nd round pick.