Week 8 GDT - Seattle Seahawks vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

38 minutes ago, John232 said:

So who are the players we can move on from to give us room this off-season / draft capital?

Anyone who is a pending free agent that still plays well. 

That being said, no way the team sells anyone. They should, but they won't

Some observations from this game. 

1. Jimmy needs to sit until he's fully healthy. His intermediate and deep passes look worse than backup caliber right now. He’s clearly not able to plant on his back leg and defenses give his arm no respect. And quite honestly, we'll never see the 2017 Jimmy return even if his ankle is healthy. He looks scared to move in the pocket and take hits and he doesn't plant his back leg so his passes have no velocity. He doesn't even go through his reads as well anymore. Time to draft a QB again.

2. The O-Line is garbage, PFF ratings be damned. 

3. Pettis needs to be cut or traded yesterday, he is a net negative being on the roster. 

4. Defense isn't great either but I'm willing to let that go due to so many players being out.

5. If we can't run, we can't win.

6. This team is strange, would not be surprised if the Niners beat the Packers this Thursday. 

• Like 1

There is chatter from fans elsewhere regarding this tweet, and maybe there is either some animosity developing between Jimmy and Kyle and/or Kyle is just starting to run out of patience having to cater his offense to Jimmy's shortcomings as a passer. I do wonder how much of the decision to get Jimmy from the Patriots was on Lynch compared to Kyle. I'd like to think that John made sure Kyle wanted this to be a guy that Kyle wanted, but with everything starting to snowball I can't help but wonder. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

There is chatter from fans elsewhere regarding this tweet, and maybe there is either some animosity developing between Jimmy and Kyle and/or Kyle is just starting to run out of patience having to cater his offense to Jimmy's shortcomings as a passer. I do wonder how much of the decision to get Jimmy from the Patriots was on Lynch compared to Kyle. I'd like to think that John made sure Kyle wanted this to be a guy that Kyle wanted, but with everything starting to snowball I can't help but wonder. 

There is no decision that gets made without Kyle's approval. It is no secret that Kyle had his eyes set on Cousins and was a little depressed after trading for Jimmy knowing that possibility was gone. 

As for the ankle, it has already been leaked that folks in the organization are questioning the severity of the high ankle sprain. This was right after the Dolphins game and before the Rams game.

It’s clear though that Jimmy just isn't consistently driving the ball off his plant foot. If he's not comfortable doing that, then he shouldn't be playing period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I just think Shanny is frustrated by the QB situation in general. His starter is hurt so he can't call a game the way he would prefer, trying to mask his gimpy ankle. And if he plays his back-ups, he's still handicapped so he's stilll ****ed essentially.

But he has no one to blame but himself. He choose not to bring in a vet to even challenge Mullens or Beat Hard for consecutive years. And you're only one hit away in this league from relying on your back up to win you multiple games. 

As far as Jimmy's play, I don't know if its the ACL or what but he looks like a shell of his former self in the pocket. Even before the high ankle sprain, he looks totally oblivious to pressure and how to manipulate the pocket. During that 5 game stretch in 2017, that was one of the things I raved about with him. He just seemed such much more poised and intuitive when facing pressure. He was calm and decisive and just looked much more in command. Idk what happened to him mentally but its like he has PTSD from the ACL. Like he thought he was invincible beforehand and getting injured made him realize he's just as fragile as everyone else. Idk...its weird.

Jimmy may be walking down a road where he doesn't recover mentally. That's my fear. It's happened time and time again with quality starters. Bulger, Delhomme, Schaub, Everett, etc. 

In any case he shouldn't be playing. Something is just not right with the guy, and playing musical chairs at QB is just not gonna cut it. I'm guessing receivers are already starting to get frustrated too. They had to have been a little happy when Mullens came in, and there was a spark. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

The seahawks were missing half their secondary... we should have pushed the ball downfield a few times. Sure, the pass rush was in Jimmy's face, but if we connect on only one deep shot, maybe they tweak their approach and send out more people to cover, instead of blitzing every other play. Or you know, maybe we get one of these DPIs the rest of the league get because they do throw deep from time to time. Bad game plan. I don't know why we had more inside running than in any other game this year. Sure, the seahawks have the LBs to run down the stretch plays, but I'm sure we could have still managed to get that amazing 2 yards per run average while running to our strength, while being able to run the playaction off of it. Kyle overthought this game plan. We played to the seahawks' strengths, as if that would catch them off guard.

I know we allowed 37 points, but I don't blame the defense. Well, other than the pass rush not getting home, I think the rest of the D managed as well as they could have. Even if we had just had Dee Ford in there, I think we make a few more defensive stops. But these guys aren't getting home. Hyder is solid for the most part, but Arnstrong is being played at DE way too much. We miss the inside explosion that forces the one on ones outside. Our pass rush was sealed off most of the game. Not much a back end can do when that happens. Moseley allowed over 100 yards to Metcalf, but anyone would have, when Russell can drop the ball as accurately as he does. And he does because he had no one in his face all game. 

16 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Jimmy may be walking down a road where he doesn't recover mentally. That's my fear. It's happened time and time again with quality starters. Bulger, Delhomme, Schaub, Everett, etc. 

In any case he shouldn't be playing. Something is just not right with the guy, and playing musical chairs at QB is just gonna cut it. I'm guessing receivers are already starting to get frustrated too. They had to have been a little happy when Mullens came in, and there was a spark. 

There’s always going to be a spark when a back up comes in and the defense is playing soft. We saw it with Beathard against Philly. The key will be doing it against GB and NO. 

As far as Jimmy shouldn't be playing? He won't be returning until after the bye week if I had to guess. 

Mullens time for at least the next two weeks.  

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

Shanny & Lynch have done a good job constructing the roster, but idk, i'm not too happy with how they handled the QB position.

First, we pass on Mahomes & Watson in '17 because Shanny is deadset on Cousins.

Then, we pass on Brady this offseason which is starting to look like a mistake as well. Brady wanted to come here, and we could have probably traded Jimmy G for a 2nd round pick easily, if not more. 

And weve held onto Mullens & Beathard too long. Beathard is not worthy of a roster spot, Mullens is ok but but only in short stretches. 

Looking at the young QB's from the 2018-2010 draft. We never had a chance to draft Murray, Burrow, or Herbert,  but i wonder if somehow they were available, if we would have pulled the trigger. Lamar Jackson would have been interesting, but i can't fault us for passing on him. None of the other QB's particularly impress me (yet)

IDK, i see 2 things happening this offseason. i forsee Shanny trading for Matt Ryan or Matt Stafford to bridge the gap, or keeping Jimmy G & trading for Darnold as a reclamation project. I don't really see us trying to get that 10-15 year guy in the draft. Look at Shanny's career as an OC; i think outside of RG3 & Cousins, has he ever started with a young/rookie QB? It's always been veterans; Matt Schaub, Matt Ryan, Brian Hoyer, etc