Week 8 GDT - Seattle Seahawks vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

And one could counter that with Jimmy's 5-0 record in 2017 as a starter and 6-0 record overall after he joined the team. The team was 1-11 with the same rag-tag roster before Jimmy's arrival.

That is true, but we haven't seen that Jimmy since... Even last year, something was off. It's like he has to learn how to play QB again from the waist down.

34 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

And one could counter that with Jimmy's 5-0 record in 2017 as a starter and 6-0 record overall after he joined the team. The team was 1-11 with the same rag-tag roster before Jimmy's arrival.

I sometimes feel like 2017 was just a horrible thing for him...people put waaaaaaaay too much emphasis on it. I get that team was horrible and was hurt, so for him to pull out 5-0 is just insane, but the Jags game in particular is the one that people really put too much emphasis on. I feel like people were basing the entirety of their opinion of him on that game and that stretch.  

You can argue that in 2017 he was basically the same exact thing he is now. He had some great stats that you have to wonder (now) aren't the byproduct of the system for an average starting quarterback. People didn't have tape on him. When you think about things,  he threw 5 ints in 5 games and had several others dropped (3 more). So he could have had 8 INTS in 5 games, which is just atrocious when you consider he threw the ball fewer than 200 times. He beat a bad Bears team. He beat a bad Texans team who was horrific defensively coming down the stretch.  He beat a mediocre Titans team (though admittedly, i believe that they made the playoffs) who was bad defensively. He beat a Rams team I believe playing its backups. It was impressive, no doubt...but you can also see some cracks in it when you really look back. I think the expectations were just set too high. The next year, he came back and he was bad but people just blew it off. Then he came in last season and was very mediocre for half the season and people blew it off as the injury and he got better down the stretch against some teams. The NO game was huge. Then he looked back in the playoffs and people just sort of blew that off too because it made sense that the game plan was what it was against Minnesota and Green Bay. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm actually going the other way. It's getting a vet QB for this SB window and then drafting one to be the future with a reloaded roster down the line. 

I'm only ok with this if we trade for Stafford. Best option out there will be Winston in FA. But I feel like if we go get a vet it'll be Kirk Cousins. Id rather roll with Zack Wilson then Kirk. Sam Darnold is also another option but id rather get him and have him compete with Jimmy for the starting Job.

Edited by 49erurtaza

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I sometimes feel like 2017 was just a horrible thing for him...people put waaaaaaaay too much emphasis on it. I get that team was horrible and was hurt, so for him to pull out 5-0 is just insane, but the Jags game in particular is the one that people really put too much emphasis on. I feel like people were basing the entirety of their opinion on him. 

You can argue that in 2017 he was basically the same exact thing he is now. He had some great stats that you have to wonder (now) aren't the byproduct of the system for an average starting quarterback. People didn't have tape on him. When you think about things,  he threw 5 ints in 5 games and had several others dropped (3 more). So he could have had 8 INTS in 5 games, which is just atrocious when you consider he threw the ball fewer than 200 times. He beat a bad Bears team. He beat a bad Texans team who was horrific defensively coming down the stretch.  He beat a mediocre Titans team (though admittedly, i believe that they made the playoffs) who was bad defensively. He beat a Rams team I believe playing its backups. It was impressive, no doubt...but you can also see some cracks in it when you really look back. I think the expectations were just set too high. The next year, he came back and he was bad but people just blew it off. Then he came in last season and was very mediocre for half the season and people blew it off as the injury and he got better down the stretch against some teams. The NO game was huge. Then he looked back in the playoffs and people just sort of blew that off too because it made sense that the game plan was what it was against Minnesota and Green Bay. 

You make valid points. But my thing with Jimmy in 2017 isn't so much the wins. That's the end result. But it was how he looked.

He he great pocket presence. He had moxy and a confident kind of swagger to his play. Coming in at the last seconds of that Hawks game and scoring that TD off a scramble drill...those are the things I feel like are missing from him. The ints were definitely a prelude of things to come but for a guy who knew very little of the offense, he just had a steadying presence in the pocket that you felt could only be magnified over time. Unfortunately it seems to have regressed. Even his footwork, which has always been piss-poor, looked better then. 

38 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I can concede that point. But again, at what point do you say you've seen enough from Jimmy and move on? I mean he's only been healthy for five quarters this season and four of those he wasn't great. But with a unusual off-season, I can say he was knocking off some rust during the AZ game. So really, isn't it a bit premature to already be talking about moving on from Jimmy?

Where were all these people saying he's hurt during the Patriots game?? No one said **** about the ankle because he had good footwork and good fundamentals. The ball looked good coming out of his hands. 

Maybe he had a set back during the week? But he was not sharp yesterday no matter how you slice it. His footwork was horrible and I really believe that's not injury related. He is incredibly inconsistent with his footwork and it causes inconsistencies with his throws. It's been that way for years at this point. 

This off-season I was hoping he would fix his footwork. I get that last year he was recovering from acl injury so you can't work on that stuff as much. It doesn't appear he has improved in any measurable way since last year. It's cliche but if you aren't getting better, you are getting worse 

It's 100% mental with him. He was late on his timing and this is a timing based offense. Guys are open every week and he doesn't see them. He doesn't have any feel for pressure, and doesn't have good footwork in a clean pocket. 

We didn't restructure him but instead chose to restructure guys like Ford, Kwon, and richburg. What does that tell you? It tells you he isn't going to be our QB next season. 

• Like 1