O line

dll2000

NFL has an O line problem or too many teams do.  

It doesn’t start with NFL, but the problem is making the game difficult to watch.   I get that scoring is setting records which would seem to negate my argument, but I think that is due to lack of holding calls and excessive penalties on defenses giving free first downs and chunk yardage and confusing defenses on how they are allowed to play football play to play.  This also makes game hard to watch.   Unless you just watch Red Zone channel and don’t care about nuance or strategy then everything is hunky dory.  

We aren’t getting a good product.  Been too much monkeying with the basics of nature of game.  

Back to O line problem.   Problem with O line starts in little league.   Coaches do not put good athletes on O line.   Best big men at every level go to defense, left overs go to O line with a few exceptions like Iowa.   I coached middle school and little league for around 13 seasons give or take.   Every single season I got crap from parents and often coaches for putting good athletes on the O line.  

The result of this is there are 2nd team DL on College teams that could be starting NFL O linemen athletic wise, but lack the years of skills necessary.   O linemen is highly skilled position.   Listen to ex-Browns HOFer (forgetting his name) speak on the position on latest PFF podcast and everything that goes into being good at the position.   He himself was an ex-TE that Wisconsin changed.   NFL is not set up to transition DL to OL because they lack the quality practice reps to do so.   

To watch Jets, Giants, Cowboys, Bears, etc. play with extreme sub par O lines is just not fun.   There isn’t enough depth at position.   NFL needs to develop a farm system or some way to increase quality of play with an aim at perhaps transitioning D line/TE to O line.  

I would actually put more of the blame on the FO and coaches in the NFL.   It’s generally the same teams that struggle with OL issues.     Quit throwing your rookies into the fire right away,   Maybe actually develop them before throwing them against veteran DL’s.   Why do you think they’re are so many starters across the league that are late round/udfa’s.    Bring in veterans and bring those young guys up to speed slowly. 

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

Ryan Tannehill with Miami's o-line: 58 sacks in a 16-game season. Labeled by pundits as a ho-hum QB. 

Ryan Tannehill with Tennessee's o-line: 7 sacks through 6 games. Suddenly accepted as a very good QB. 

There's also the minor issue of Derrick Henry.

OL is the most important offensive unit.

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

Ryan Tannehill with Miami's o-line: 58 sacks in a 16-game season. Labeled by pundits as a ho-hum QB. 

Ryan Tannehill with Tennessee's o-line: 7 sacks through 6 games. Suddenly accepted as a very good QB. 

How many QBs 'suck' because of situation and many are 'good'?   We'll never know for sure.

I do know that Rodgers was playing better than any QB in league and Tampa Bay physically beat crap out of him and he suddenly looked like a hot garbage rookie.

Makes you think.