Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pastor Dillon

The Texans young talent

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'd argue that Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman would be upgrades. If Dan Quinn is a potential option at DC, Sherman would be a lock to join us on the account he and Quinn were key figures in the Legion of Boom.

They're older, sure. They'll command a bunch of money, yes (this is where the David Johnson savings come in). But that sort of veteran leadership is valuable in a rebuilding situation.

We can’t possibly get the money to sign one of them unless we are creating other holes elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We can’t possibly get the money to sign one of them unless we are creating other holes elsewhere. 

David Johnson alone makes enough to cover the $9.5aav Sherman will command. You'd need to free up another $2mm to get Peterson and his $14aav.

The money is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ET80 said:

David Johnson alone makes enough to cover the $9.5aav Sherman will command. You'd need to free up another $2mm to get Peterson and his $14aav.

The money is there.

We are already 11.4 million over the cap for next year. We have to cut guys like Johnson just to get under the cap. 

Edited by Pastor Dillon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We are already 11.4 million over the cap for next year

This is an estimate on what cap figures will be next year - much like other years, I think the drop is a bit overestimated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 1:23 PM, ET80 said:

I'm calling him Jacky McJackass.

Actually - Billy McButtchin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is an estimate on what cap figures will be next year - much like other years, I think the drop is a bit overestimated.

if they are overestimated, then we are going to be even further in the hole 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

if they are overestimated, then we are going to be even further in the hole 

The DROP in cap is overestimated. Not the figures.

Truth is, I see the cap staying exactly where it is - the owners make the money on TV contracts moreso than ticket sales, so it isn't as if they're really losing anything in terms of operating capital.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The DROP in cap is overestimated. Not the figures.

Truth is, I see the cap staying exactly where it is - the owners make the money on TV contracts moreso than ticket sales, so it isn't as if they're really losing anything in terms of operating capital.

I forgot where I saw the stat / #'s, but I saw years ago that 95% or so of NFL teams would make a profit just off of NFL TV deals - even if not 1 person showed up for a game in-person.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2020 at 12:58 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Will Fuller - still technically on his rookie deal, he is definitely a starting level WR who is going to be looking to make some money this off season. 

So, I'm thinking we're overestimating Fuller's value.

If you were to find a comparison for Fuller, it would probably be Carolina WR Robby Anderson - has impeccable speed, can take the top off of any defense, has a bit of an injury history (not AS bad as Fuller). Anderson has a checkered off-the-field history, something you don't really have to worry about when you're talking about Fuller.

Anderson signed a 2/$20mm ($8mm gtd) deal this past off-season. This is what market value looks like for a speedy WR with injury history and no 1,000 season under his belt. 

I'd love to see a 3/$33mm ($14mm gtd) deal for Fuller - that's absolutely a manageable deal for all parties involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 8:22 PM, ET80 said:

So, I'm thinking we're overestimating Fuller's value.

If you were to find a comparison for Fuller, it would probably be Carolina WR Robby Anderson - has impeccable speed, can take the top off of any defense, has a bit of an injury history (not AS bad as Fuller). Anderson has a checkered off-the-field history, something you don't really have to worry about when you're talking about Fuller.

Anderson signed a 2/$20mm ($8mm gtd) deal this past off-season. This is what market value looks like for a speedy WR with injury history and no 1,000 season under his belt. 

I'd love to see a 3/$33mm ($14mm gtd) deal for Fuller - that's absolutely a manageable deal for all parties involved.

I hope this is correct. That’s why I would slap the transition tag on him and let him go get a deal somewhere that we have the ability to match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I hope this is correct. That’s why I would slap the transition tag on him and let him go get a deal somewhere that we have the ability to match. 

One of the GB fans (the incredible @Shanedorf) said that during the trade speculations, GB discussed what an extension looks like - Fuller's agents used guys like Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas and Amari Cooper as benchmarks, and are aiming for $18mm+ a year.

If this is the price of admission... go ahead and count me out. For that sort of money, I want absolutely nothing to do with Will Fuller. I'll deal with a lifetime of Jacoby Jones' and Kevin Walter-types before I give Fuller $18mm/yr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So - with Whitney Mercilius and Jacob Martin in Covid protocols, we're going to see a lot of Jonathan Greenard this Sunday.

I think he's going to make us question why he isn't getting much PT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ET80 said:

So - with Whitney Mercilius and Jacob Martin in Covid protocols, we're going to see a lot of Jonathan Greenard this Sunday.

I think he's going to make us question why he isn't getting much PT.

I was just coming here to ask if anyone thought Greenard would get some PT this week. We are also without Dylan Cole and of course McKinney is out for the season. Linebacker is super thin.
 

The jags are really bad. the season is basically over. There’s no reason Blacklock and Greenard and John Reid don’t play over 50% of our snaps this week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I was just coming here to ask if anyone thought Greenard would get some PT this week. We are also without Dylan Cole and of course McKinney is out for the season. Linebacker is super thin.
 

The jags are really bad. the season is basically over. There’s no reason Blacklock and Greenard and John Reid don’t play over 50% of our snaps this week 

Ya I could see us playing a good chunk of 4/3 this Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Ya I could see us playing a good chunk of 4/3 this Sunday. 

Yeah, I see a lot of four man nickel with Cunningham and Scarlett. Given that we're playing a run oriented offense with a rookie QB who is going to throw his first pass in the NFL this Sunday, I don't see the need outside of "we don't play rookies".

Bill O'Brien might be unemployed, but his stench still wafes through NRG through his hand picked staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...