The Texans young talent

Pastor Dillon

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I didn’t realize that Hanson was a former 4th round pick. I thought he was a Undrafted guy. He’s obviously not lived up to his drafting but people don’t take you in round 4 without some potential. Perhaps Sunday wasn’t a one off performance and Hanson and Coutee can be long term solutions at WR. We may end up going into next year with Cooks/Cobb/Coutee/Hanson as our 4 WRs. 

good thing is that we have 4 more games to evaluate both of them. I’d like to see some of Coulter now that the playoffs are actually out of the picture. 

I think this quote from DW4 on Chad says it all:

“When I went to Georgia, when I went to Miami, went to California, everywhere I went, Chad was always there,” Watson said.” I’m very confident in him and what he can do for us to help us out, and he showed it today. He’s going to make big-time catches, and he’s going to be ready and prepared, and that’s what he was.”

• Like 2

Been thinking about roster construction and complementary football and all that noise... i think our top priority should be to fix our RB room this offseason. 1, it should be an easier fix than some of our other problems and 2, we have to keep the defense off the field if we want any kind of chance at all. I think I was reading somewhere that we're like 32 in the running offense. I dont know who we can bring in but I wish we had found a way to keep Carlos Hyde on the roster lol

1 hour ago, tab said:

Been thinking about roster construction and complementary football and all that noise... i think our top priority should be to fix our RB room this offseason. 1, it should be an easier fix than some of our other problems and 2, we have to keep the defense off the field if we want any kind of chance at all. I think I was reading somewhere that we're like 32 in the running offense. I dont know who we can bring in but I wish we had found a way to keep Carlos Hyde on the roster lol

People are mocking guys such as Chuba Hubbard and and Najee Harris to use with our 3rd round pick - which is great to me, I don't think we'll find the level of playmakers we need on defense in the 3rd round. A RB in the 3rd, however - that's a solid starter/contributor for 2-4 years.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2020 at 12:10 PM, ET80 said:

People are mocking guys such as Chuba Hubbard and and Najee Harris to use with our 3rd round pick - which is great to me, I don't think we'll find the level of playmakers we need on defense in the 3rd round. A RB in the 3rd, however - that's a solid starter/contributor for 2-4 years.

I think Chubba Hubbard is going in the second honestly he's such an electric talent.

I think a real good GM and a real good DC could make this defense better, the issue is honestly just the scheme. I do want RB fixed though because we need to give DW a break sometimes and if Tim Kelly is gonna keep running the ball we need someone reliable.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Drained said:

I think Chubba Hubbard is going in the second honestly he's such an electric talent.

I think a real good GM and a real good DC could make this defense better, the issue is honestly just the scheme. I do want RB fixed though because we need to give DW a break sometimes and if Tim Kelly is gonna keep running the ball we need someone reliable.

Tim Kelly is ggggooonnnneeeeee at the end of this year... I could see him as an OC or HC in college... or a position coach in NFL... but Texans' OC next year?  No way

• Like 1

Chuba in the third would be a gift. Kamara, Kareem Hunt, James Conner, Kenyan Drake, David Montgomery, and Devin Singletary were all drafted in the 3rd in recent years. Draft a RB in the 3rd, pair him up with a vet he can learn from, and restructure Duke's contract. 

I thought this until I looked up the top 15-20 rushers in the nfl and nearly everyone of them was a 1st or 2nd round pick. It’s actually rare, not impossible, to get a long term starter at RB in the 3rd round or later. 

16 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Chuba in the third would be a gift. Kamara, Kareem Hunt, James Conner, Kenyan Drake, David Montgomery, and Devin Singletary were all drafted in the 3rd in recent years. Draft a RB in the 3rd, pair him up with a vet he can learn from, and restructure Duke's contract. 

Kareem hunt is the only one of those guys to post 1,000 yards rushing. 

Let's take a look at the data. So far this year, there are only 5 RBs in the top 20 in rushing yards that were drafted in the first round (Zeke, Gordon, Josh Jacobs, Edwards-Helaire, Gurley). Of those 5 RBs, 3 of them are averaging less than 3.9 yards per carry (Zeke, Jacobs, Gurley). If we look further into the top 20 RBs this year, 5 were drafted in the first round, 6 were drafted in the second, and 9 were in the 3rd or later. Just to show that I;'m not skewing the stats in my favor, the next 5 RBs ranked 21-25 were all drafted 3rd round or later. 

Let's take a look at the RBs I listed in which I only went back 5 years total. Kamara is going to hit 6,000 yards receiving/rushing by end of season for his career by his 4th season in the NFL. James Conner fell short of 1,000 by 27 yards last year. Drake is on pace for over 1,000 despite missing a game and this is his first full year as a starter. He's also 8th in the NFL in rushing ahead of every 1st rounder except for Josh Jacobs, who has 44 more carries but only 59 more yards. Montgomery has over 2,100 yards receiving/rushing in his first 2 seasons combined. The fact is you can find a great RB in the 3rd round or later and 1,000 yards doesn't matter like it used to because everyone in the NFL has moved to committees for the most part. If you want to increase your odds, trade up into the middle of the second, but drafting a RB in the 1st round is a waste. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Kareem hunt is the only one of those guys to post 1,000 yards rushing. 

But I think you'd be missing on a lot by judging these guys by their 1,000 campaigns - nobody cares Alvin Kamara has yet to cross the 1,000 barrier, he's a force of nature in the run and pass game.

As @LORK88 said, there's a trend of the top 20 guys who are getting to the top by sheer volume - getting a RB to 1,000 with a ypc that's less than 4.0 is more a function of volume, not effectiveness. 

• Like 1