Week 8 GDT: Giants vs Brady-eers, MNF

y*so*blu

three straight games blowing an 11 point lead, and it's really not the defense's fault.. we're not a good defense by any means but they're battling and keeping us in games. jones constantly puts them in difficult situations. and then everyone gives jones credit for the final drive but he threw 3-4 near-picks.. slayton bailed him out on the 4th down play early in the drive and then he finally made a good throw or two but it's fools gold. this man has to get better and soon. he is totally overwhelmed back there

At risk of overreacting to Lemieux's debut, I would leave him at LG for the rest of the season and transition Hernandez over to RG. I have a feeling the Thomas-Hernandez duo is an issue, especially calling out assignments. Lemieux may not be better at that over an extended period of time but we have to figure that out. If he holds up well at LG and Hernandez performs better at RG, you're solving two problems with one. Add in if it helps Thomas in pass protection more, it's a no brainer.

It may fail, but even if it does, we're back at the same point we are right now. Might as well figure out what we have. 

Edited by GMENNATION

Can't really defend Danny for last night. The picks were on him, overthrows, more then a few times he missed wide open big plays. It was a bad night and he shoulders much of the blame for the L. I still see some magic there though. He's got so much talent and can get the offense moving but then the bad play happens. He's soo much like young Eli it's scary. Obviously much more athletic but we really did draft Eli 2.0.

First 2 seasons:

Eli: 23GS, 30TD, 29INT, 4,805Yds, 65QBR
Jones: 20GS, 29TD, 19INT, 4,437Yds, 83QBR

I remember so many of us on this forum being fed up with Eli so early on as well. It just takes time for these guys to develop. He had zero offseason to learn a new offensive scheme. He's mostly had a turnstile at Oline, he lost his top weapon. He'll get there. They have to stick with him. There is too much equity wrapped up in that pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Can't really defend Danny for last night. The picks were on him, overthrows, more then a few times he missed wide open big plays. It was a bad night and he shoulders much of the blame for the L. I still see some magic there though. He's got so much talent and can get the offense moving but then the bad play happens. He's soo much like young Eli it's scary. Obviously much more athletic but we really did draft Eli 2.0.

First 2 seasons:

Eli: 23GS, 30TD, 29INT, 4,805Yds, 65QBR
Jones: 20GS, 29TD, 19INT, 4,437Yds, 83QBR

I remember so many of us on this forum being fed up with Eli so early on as well. It just takes time for these guys to develop. He had zero offseason to learn a new offensive scheme. He's mostly had a turnstile at Oline, he lost his top weapon. He'll get there. They have to stick with him. There is too much equity wrapped up in that pick

While the numbers there tilt ever so slightly in Jones favor, this is not the NFL of 2006 (Eli's 2nd yr). The game is a win now or else mentality. This coaching staff is all new while Eli had 2 yrs under Coughlin at that point. The coaching staff remained intact for Eli while here its all new coaches for Jones. The GM is more than likely going to change after this season is over and that in lies the ultimate consequence for Jones. Does that new GM and the new coaching staff (which i think this coaching staff has looked great by all means, and has shown they are improving alot of other aspects of this team) think DJ has shown he can pilot this offense. I think for the betterment of this team going forward that we already are looking past Jones. He would good for trade bait possibly or keep him as our backup. 

• Like 1

Go back and look at the forum archive after Eli's 2nd season. We were all talking the same. It's growing pains. Young QB's have to experience it. It's painful for us the fans but you have to be patient. To give up on this kid now would be such a huge loss to draft equity. Give him another round of talent, draft a receiving weapon, more Oline talent, and give him some protection. He will progress. Reign in those turnovers and he's playing at a level that will win games. 

10 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

This thing where people are continuously and needlessly trying to force these parallels between Jones and Eli is annoying. There are a couple of other reasons why people may want to hold on to some semblance of hope but these comparisons to Eli are not it.

Right? Both first round draft picks given the reigns to teams devoid of talent who both struggled with turnovers, inaccuracy, decision making, and reading defenses their first two seasons and had the fanbase turn on them. I mean other then that... totally forced parallels.

Bottom line, if the Giants are bad enough to be in a position to draft in the top two spots then they should grab another QB.  If after Eli's 2nd season the Giants were picking top two I would have wanted them to take someone else.  We can compare Eli to Jones I guess, but it's two different leagues.  Look at how Eli was compared to the average NFL starter, versus look at Jones now versus the average NFL starter.  Not only that, if you look at Eli's career stats without knowing who it was you'd think average QB who hung around for a while.  He caught fire for two postseasons, I don't think we should try to find another clone of that...we already got lightning to strike twice with him.

Jones has 8 games to try and turn it around, that's close to 30 games to show what he has.  Maybe we don't need him to win, but show us that he can go a whole game without making multiple bonehead plays, and maybe show us he can do it more than once.  He's turned it over in all but one of his games, and even that game he fumbled.  My guess is that he's turned it over multiple times in more than half of his games but I really don't feel like checking that.  Some people knock his arm or his accuracy, I don't know, I'm not a great scout for this kind of stuff...but I don't see anything physically about him like arm strength or accuracy that worries me.  But the decision making and awareness....it worries me a lot, and it seems to be getting worse not better.

• Like 1

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

Except the league that Eli came into is a completely different league than the one Jones’ in. You can literally use these same explanations for nearly every failed QB prospect. .

Eli played his entire career after the 2004 rule changes...

Unless you can predict that Jones is gonna lead us to two SBs then these comparisons are futile

Sure he can. To say I can't compare Eli's 1st two seasons to Jones because Eli went on to win SB's is quite daft...

Edited by Shockwave

Imagine being in the NFL in 2020 and having more interceptions than TDs with every rule in place which favours for that to not even be possible for a competent starting QB. His accuracy issues are probably the least of my issues with him funnily enough. If we are comparing him to Eli, I’d say he’s more accurate. 

If your response to Daniel Jones’ struggle is “well Eli had similar struggles and look what he achieved” or something along those lines I think it’s just grasping at straws. Its just an unwillingness to accept what is right in front on you.  

• Like 2