Anyone ever write a book?

PrplChilPill

59 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I did, almost 4 years ago. It was pretty meh.....but I'm trying again this coming month. I'd love if any of you have ever done this to read your advice. Here is what I'm up to.....

https://mikesixel.com/category/writing/

I started to a couple years back, just to see if I could (no experience whatsoever), fully expecting it to suck.  It didn't take long at all before I got too distracted with other things, but I hope to one day either complete what I started or start and complete another one.  

20 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I did, almost 4 years ago. It was pretty meh.....but I'm trying again this coming month. I'd love if any of you have ever done this to read your advice. Here is what I'm up to.....

https://mikesixel.com/category/writing/

I mean, what kind of advice are you looking for? If it’s how to publish, a lot of published writers tslk about the industry in their Youtube channels (Brandon Sanderson for instance).

If it’s how to write, my advice would be just finish. Your first book will be garbage, but you can only get practice by writing. Accept that even a good book will be crap on first draft, finish it, and let it sit for a while. Then go back and read it, with an eye towards editing. Highlight or note what you like and wgat you don’t, find your strengths and weaknesses, then write to them. Try different things, different ways of coming up with ideas, write out of sequence, write from an outline, write with no outline, etc.

If the goal isn’t publishing, then you should just learn what you’re good at and what makes you happy to write.

• Like 2