QB Expectations

CWood21

8 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

It's all about getting Hackenberg confident and comfortable. Once that happens, I'm confident he'll develop into a good QB.

Although he did nothing spectacular, there were signs of immense progress from where he was a year ago. The biggest question has been his ability to execute consistently in the short-rhythm passing game (mainly due to his poor mechanics and holding onto the ball), but what I saw yesterday was a sign that he has significantly improved that area of his game. His mechanics looked clean, the ball came out of his hand quickly and cleanly, and he was accurate on all 21 of his attempts within 10 yards (2 were dropped, another was a well defended PD). It appeared that down/distance/situation didn't come into play as much as it normally would because it was all about getting him reps in the WCO. If he can continue to be accurate, maintain rhythm, and make a few big throws a game his confidence will skyrocket which will allow him to start truly realizing his potential. 

I expect the Jets to get him about 100-120 throws this preseason, let him be the backup for a few weeks and take over as starter thereafter. It's the right method. Good first step in an ongoing development.

I feel like the Jes didn't want him to go downfield. That his job Saturday was to be accurate in the short passes in the WCO. He answered the call. I think we open the playbook more and more for him as the season goes on. 

I don't know if Hack will be the franchise guy or not but despite the easy game plan they had for him game one there is signs of progress.  We are finally doing things right in this organization with development.  Can't honestly remember the last time we did it right like this so it's refreshing.

I hope for the bet with Hack this season and beyond but we also need to be in position to get a star QB should one be available.

I'm not giving up on Hack by drafting one next year but I'm also not ready to put blind faith that he will continually and is the future either.  You are rarely in position to draft stud QB's just look at how easily we missed out on Mariota/Winston or Manning.  When the time comes to don't waste it, you take the talented QB and develop them both.  Wouldn't be the worst thing if they both developed together and both turned out good.  

I have to say I do like the plan they had for Hack. This should be a confidence booster for him. Especially when I heard that he was supposed to go deep on a few plays but he checked down after the Titans took it away. He didn't score, but he didn't blow the game. I saw about 3 drops that game so his numbers would have been a little better. I'm not crowning him or anything, but he and the coaching staff did well. Called timeouts when things didn't go right before the snap instead of forcing it. If it was up to me, I wouldn't start Hack until ASJ returned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 0:41 PM, rickyt31 said:

I have to say I do like the plan they had for Hack. This should be a confidence booster for him. Especially when I heard that he was supposed to go deep on a few plays but he checked down after the Titans took it away. He didn't score, but he didn't blow the game. I saw about 3 drops that game so his numbers would have been a little better. I'm not crowning him or anything, but he and the coaching staff did well. Called timeouts when things didn't go right before the snap instead of forcing it. If it was up to me, I wouldn't start Hack until ASJ returned.

Many are down on Hackenberg right now, and for good reason, but I fully agree with you. My contention is that they miscalculated when they decided to move forward with McCown instead of Jay Cutler. Cutler is the type of QB that would've clearly kept the starting job for most of the season (barring injury) and the clear expectation would've been that Hack/Petty were working for the #2 job. Make fun of Cutler all you want, but I think the development of the team around the QB and the "plan" to gradually develop Hackenberg would've gone more smoothly with an entrenched starter. That said, the team decided to go another direction and for many reasons you can't blame them - they no longer have the luxury to wait a full year before re-evaluating Hackenberg/Petty as they once thought they would, and it is clear that they need to figure out what they have in the both of them by the end of this season. 

Hackenberg isn't ready, and in an ideal world he isn't starting games in 2017. He's 22 years old, which would make him the 2nd youngest starter in the NFL (DeShone Kizer 1st). I'd much rather see the Jets play out the season, see where their record stands, continue to build the roster (and take a QB if he's a slam dunk), then figure out what you have with a better supporting cast. Unfortunately that won't happen and Hack will probably start games this year. For the sake of the organization, let's hope he improves tremendously over the next few months. 

11 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Hackenberg is never going to amount to anything for the Jets. It was a bad pick. We need to just swallow it

The problem is, we have had to SWALLOW to many first & second round draft pick over the last 15 years. How much longer will it take Woody Johnson to realize that his GM, Head coach & that useless defensive coordinator. what ever his name is has to go. If this past draft isn't proof Mac is a total buffoon, what will it take?  The Jets are in worst shape now, than they were when Macc took over the team three years ago. I don't know who the starting QB will be this year, but who ever the QB  is, that joke of a O line will get them killed.

BREAKING NEWS  !!!!

Now that McCown, has been named opening day starter, the minute the Jets sign him the first words out of my mouth was " it will be Fitz all over again ". This so called competition for QB was a farce right from the start. 

Absolutely, I agree, sure it makes us look like jerks, but it must be done. When Macc brought in Decker & Marshall in his first preseason camp , they became one of the best or ever the best receiving corps in the NFL. that year. But since then it has been one disasters move or draft pick after another. Somebody has to wake up Woody, maybe the press or the Media can get thru to him.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The problem is, we have had to SWALLOW to many first & second round draft pick over the last 15 years. How much longer will it take Woody Johnson to realize that his GM, Head coach & that useless defensive coordinator. what ever his name is has to go. If this past draft isn't proof Mac is a total buffoon, what will it take?  The Jets are in worst shape now, than they were when Macc took over the team three years ago. I don't know who the starting QB will be this year, but who ever the QB  is, that joke of a O line will get them killed.

BREAKING NEWS  !!!!

Now that McCown, has been named opening day starter, the minute the Jets sign him the first words out of my mouth was " it will be Fitz all over again ". This so called competition for QB was a farce right from the start. 

Fans have had to swallow a lot of bad 1st and 2nd round picks but Hack is really the only pick that Macc has made in the first 2 rounds that was considered a bad pick. Smith didn't work out but you couldn't have predicted freak injuries like he had. If anything he was a great selection to bring in and stretch the field for Geno, just bad luck.

McCown will not start all season the way Fritz did. He will start so we can evaluate the rest of the team around the QB position. I don't see him playing more than 6-8 games for us. If the coaching staff decides without a shadow of a doubt that Petty and Hack are not legit options moving forward and McCown is still the best option then you can't make the switch. There are 50 other players fighting for contracts/careers to play a young QB. If they believe that either QB can be developed then yes you need to play them to figure out if either could be the guy beyond this year.

McCown isn't as good as Fitz. So we don't have to worry about a repeat.

It's now set in stone that we'll be drafting a QB next year. So that's all I'm focused on at this point. Unless the ground game shows up, I don't see us hitting 5 wins. Would be great if ASJ, Shell, Anderson, Stewart, and Hansen can prove to be good enough to lock in their roles so we can have a developing surrounding ready for the next QB. At this point, I feel like I'm asking for too much.

9 hours ago, doumeyer said:

BREAKING NEWS  !!!!

I know we are all frustrated, and I probably agree with you about cleaning house. But, how was the QB competition a farce? Hackenberg has started two games and has looked abysmal. At this point, it might take a Sean Payton-type offensive whisperer just to develop him into a decent backup in the NFL. We can say a lot of things about management and the coaching staff, but Hackenberg got his shot. He is either completely unprepared for playing in the NFL right now or nowhere near NFL QB material, period. The truth lies probably somewhere in between.

McCown won the job because Hackenberg wet the bed and Petty hurt his knee. Petty looked good for one half against backups in a blowout game, but has been inconsistent throughout his time as a Jet. He is a decent backup option, but nothing more imo.

If we want to develop the likes of McGuire, Seferian-Jenkins, Leggett, Anderson, Stewart, Hansen, Peake et al, McCown is our best bet for this year. Heck, even the O line should be better because McCown is going to sense the pressure from his blind side and not turn his back completely to the oncoming rusher. Hackenberg has a good arm but has zero touch and no clue about the nuances of the QB position. 

If there would be a team interested in Hackenberg right now, I'd like to think we'd be at least receptive to the idea of trading him. He is worse than Sanchez and worse than Geno Smith. Maybe we can land a center, an outside pass rusher or an offensive tackle for him. 

I don't think I can watch another game with No. 5 under center. 

8 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I know we are all frustrated, and I probably agree with you about cleaning house. But, how was the QB competition a farce? Hackenberg has started two games and has looked abysmal. At this point, it might take a Sean Payton-type offensive whisperer just to develop him into a decent backup in the NFL. We can say a lot of things about management and the coaching staff, but Hackenberg got his shot. He is either completely unprepared for playing in the NFL right now or nowhere near NFL QB material, period. The truth lies probably somewhere in between.

McCown won the job because Hackenberg wet the bed and Petty hurt his knee. Petty looked good for one half against backups in a blowout game, but has been inconsistent throughout his time as a Jet. He is a decent backup option, but nothing more imo.

If we want to develop the likes of McGuire, Seferian-Jenkins, Leggett, Anderson, Stewart, Hansen, Peake et al, McCown is our best bet for this year. Heck, even the O line should be better because McCown is going to sense the pressure from his blind side and not turn his back completely to the oncoming rusher. Hackenberg has a good arm but has zero touch and no clue about the nuances of the QB position. 

If there would be a team interested in Hackenberg right now, I'd like to think we'd be at least receptive to the idea of trading him. He is worse than Sanchez and worse than Geno Smith. Maybe we can land a center, an outside pass rusher or an offensive tackle for him. 

I don't think I can watch another game with No. 5 under center. 

Just yesterday, Bowles did it again, he said an I quote " McCown gives the Jets the best chance to win" How many times the past two years has toilet Bowles said the same except thing about Fitz. McCown, has a life time two wins & twenty losses as a starting QB with a QB rating of 75.  Bowles refuse to answer the question, what is the point of playing Mc Cown a 39 year old lousy QB.. It is to the point right now that I want Macc & toilet Bowles head on a stick. WE MUST GO IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION. 

7 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Just yesterday, Bowles did it again, he said an I quote " McCown gives the Jets the best chance to win" How many times the past two years has toilet Bowles said the same except thing about Fitz. McCown, has a life time two wins & twenty losses as a starting QB with a QB rating of 75.  Bowles refuse to answer the question, what is the point of playing Mc Cown a 39 year old lousy QB.. It is to the point right now that I want Macc & toilet Bowles head on a stick. WE MUST GO IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION. 

It may be a very tough quote to accept, but he's right. Josh McCown DOES give us the best chance to win. Again, we don't have to tank the season. We will lose plenty of games even if we try our hardest this season.

The young players who will be here in 2018 (hopefully!) need to learn how to win. They cannot become completely discouraged because the QB handpicked by the GM to be the starter has no clue how to play the game. 

We might start the season with just two players over 30, McCown and McLendon. That is a positive thing. 

We are trying to lose.  Not sure how you can evaluate the HC or even the GM when his goal is to put a team of young players on the field in hopes to lose.  There is plenty to criticize Mac about but this year is not one of them.  Hack was a flat out bad pick and one he likely deserves to be hammered for.  Does that pick make him an awful GM, maybe?  We need a franchise QB in the worst way, they make or break GM's careers.  Mac is doing the right thing by tanking so we can all sit here and complain about the lack of players at different positions but it's a waste of time.  We could have kept B-Marshall and Decker, could have went all in on Trumaine Johnson and drafted OJ Howard to make a run at the playoffs but we all know that ends with 8-8 and the 17th pick in the draft.  Enough of the revolving door where we are good for 1-2 years and suck for 4-5.  We need stability and that's what Mac is going for.

Lets just hope our search for a QB ends after this season.  

Archived