Sign in to follow this  
CWood21

QB Expectations

18 posts in this topic

Bobby816    3
8 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

It's all about getting Hackenberg confident and comfortable. Once that happens, I'm confident he'll develop into a good QB.

Although he did nothing spectacular, there were signs of immense progress from where he was a year ago. The biggest question has been his ability to execute consistently in the short-rhythm passing game (mainly due to his poor mechanics and holding onto the ball), but what I saw yesterday was a sign that he has significantly improved that area of his game. His mechanics looked clean, the ball came out of his hand quickly and cleanly, and he was accurate on all 21 of his attempts within 10 yards (2 were dropped, another was a well defended PD). It appeared that down/distance/situation didn't come into play as much as it normally would because it was all about getting him reps in the WCO. If he can continue to be accurate, maintain rhythm, and make a few big throws a game his confidence will skyrocket which will allow him to start truly realizing his potential. 

I expect the Jets to get him about 100-120 throws this preseason, let him be the backup for a few weeks and take over as starter thereafter. It's the right method. Good first step in an ongoing development.

I feel like the Jes didn't want him to go downfield. That his job Saturday was to be accurate in the short passes in the WCO. He answered the call. I think we open the playbook more and more for him as the season goes on. 

Rockice_8    0

I don't know if Hack will be the franchise guy or not but despite the easy game plan they had for him game one there is signs of progress.  We are finally doing things right in this organization with development.  Can't honestly remember the last time we did it right like this so it's refreshing.

I hope for the bet with Hack this season and beyond but we also need to be in position to get a star QB should one be available.

I'm not giving up on Hack by drafting one next year but I'm also not ready to put blind faith that he will continually and is the future either.  You are rarely in position to draft stud QB's just look at how easily we missed out on Mariota/Winston or Manning.  When the time comes to don't waste it, you take the talented QB and develop them both.  Wouldn't be the worst thing if they both developed together and both turned out good.  

rickyt31    7

I have to say I do like the plan they had for Hack. This should be a confidence booster for him. Especially when I heard that he was supposed to go deep on a few plays but he checked down after the Titans took it away. He didn't score, but he didn't blow the game. I saw about 3 drops that game so his numbers would have been a little better. I'm not crowning him or anything, but he and the coaching staff did well. Called timeouts when things didn't go right before the snap instead of forcing it. If it was up to me, I wouldn't start Hack until ASJ returned.