QB Expectations

CWood21

16 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Blame Bowles all you want, this isnt on him not even close. I hate hearing "gives us the best chance to win" but the reality is that Bowles is in a no win situation right now. Mac on the other hand has been terrible.

I agree about Bowles. If he wins 5 games with the roster vs this schedule, he's my coach of the year. We're not an appealing destination for good coaches with options, so I don't see many options that I would jump on. Bowles shouldn't get fired unless we're just getting blown out by everyone or an experienced coach shows interest.  I've defended Macc for a while, but I really can't say much about him. I just know his plan better work within the next 2 years. Get the QB and spend the next 2 years building around.

8 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Josh Mccown is a lot better than you think . He's one of those guys tho that shadowed by terrible teams and is always injured other wise he was good for the browns when needed to.

Lol well it looks like he could be on another terrible team and yesterday's injury (when he had to sit for a play) might be a foreshadow of the injury to eventually come. I hope I'm wrong but Petty's string of injuries might indicate he's on the same path.

While Petty has at least shown signs that he can play, Hackenberg still looks like a project.

I listened to most of yesterday's game and again Hackenberg passes were mostly within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. The announcers said something like he's playing in a telephone box, 3 step drop, 5 yard slant. Unlike the first preseason game where he was at least accurate, this time not so much. According to PFF he was 10 for 20 when faced with a clear pocket. Completing only 50% when throwing with no pressure and only 5 yards downfield is terrible. Maybe that anonymous coach was right, and Hack "couldn't hit the ocean".

On 9/1/2017 at 5:13 AM, Rich51 said:

Lol well it looks like he could be on another terrible team and yesterday's injury (when he had to sit for a play) might be a foreshadow of the injury to eventually come. I hope I'm wrong but Petty's string of injuries might indicate he's on the same path.

While Petty has at least shown signs that he can play, Hackenberg still looks like a project.

I listened to most of yesterday's game and again Hackenberg passes were mostly within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. The announcers said something like he's playing in a telephone box, 3 step drop, 5 yard slant. Unlike the first preseason game where he was at least accurate, this time not so much. According to PFF he was 10 for 20 when faced with a clear pocket. Completing only 50% when throwing with no pressure and only 5 yards downfield is terrible. Maybe that anonymous coach was right, and Hack "couldn't hit the ocean".

Atleast you have two options you either have a winning season or a top 5 first round pick .

who knows maybe the jets surprise people . The DL is still very good .Hack needs experience  just like Kirk cousins needed it , cousins didn't click until that big comeback against Tampa bay, he finally got in rhythm and balled out .

I love the options we'll have after the season. 

Scenario 1

We are the worst team in the NFL and get the #1 pick (top QB)

Roll into FA and use $80M to bring in OL/Weapons

use draft picks to boost OL/Weapons since we won't need to trade up for a QB

Scenario 2

We land a top 10 pick, trade our draft class to move up into the top 3 picks to take our QB of the future

Use $80M on offense (emphasis on OL because we won't have the draft picks to use on that area if we need to trade up)

Scenario 3

We somehow land 6-8 wins with McCown as QB, this would mean we balled out and likely wouldn't need OL or WR help

$80M in FA goes to Kirk Cousins to be our QB of the future

Since we no longer need to trade up we sit back and go BPA in the draft with all our picks

Scenario 4

McCown gets hurt, Petty/Hack come in and play well enough to convince us they COULD the QB of the future but still have a top 10 pick

$80M gets used on on OL/Weapons

We don't trade up, instead we sit back and let a QB fall to our pick to hedge our bets. This allows us to keep all our picks and still add a lot of talent to the team

Scenario 5

Hack/Petty some how ball out and we land a pick 15-25, surprisingly are contending for playoff spot

Spend $80M on OL/WR

draft BPA

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I was cheering big time for Hack all TC and PS. Fact is he didn't play good enough to deserve to play. Question is... once the season is over for us in a month do we go to Petty or Hack to finish out the season?!?!

I have to think a healthy Petty is the clear No. 2 right now. I also would not be against bringing in a free agent from the outside if we lose McCown and Petty at some point.

RGIII was worked out very early in the off-season. I would think he'd be an option for us at some point.

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Fair or unfair, I think Hackenberg will get more starts than Petty this year (unless Petty gets an opportunity and balls out). The organization seems committed to figuring out what they have in him. 

I don't know. I think the preseason told a very real tale about who Hackenberg is. Right now, he is not an NFL QB.

I would not be surprised if he went back into a box with moth balls until they decide what to do with him next summer.

20 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The only QB I want is Josh Rosen, so far he is the top QB in college. That kid can play ask Texas A & M.

Too much can happen between now and draft day. Let's wait and see how things shape up. Just look at what has already happened since training camp began: Hackenberg has been a complete dud; Petty had one spectacular preseason performance; Lamar Jackson did what Lamar Jackson does; Francois tore his knee up and is now out for the season; and Rosen's virtuoso comeback performance.

There will be more.

6 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Too much can happen between now and draft day. Let's wait and see how things shape up. Just look at what has already happened since training camp began: Hackenberg has been a complete dud; Petty had one spectacular preseason performance; Lamar Jackson did what Lamar Jackson does; Francois tore his knee up and is now out for the season; and Rosen's virtuoso comeback performance.

There will be more.

Virtuoso, I like it, great description of chosen one Rosen

Archived