Cam Newton as a player

DingoLadd

Is Cam overrated or underrated?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cam overrated or underrated?

This is coming from a former Panthers fan (and I do still root for them as long as they arent playing the Rams):

Cam Newton's biggest failing is consistency. In almost every aspect of his game. He had the potential to be one of the best to ever play. But he just couldnt ever find the consistency the greats find and maintain. 

I use past tense because if he hasnt found it by now, my guess is he never will. He will play out the rest of his career as one of those frustrating, maddening players that constantly show you what they're capable of, but never play to that capability with any consistency.

He is a good quarterback. I think that 8-14 range is accurate. Higher when he is on. But I think, career wise, he is in that 8-14 range. Certainly better than average. For the most part good. But only occasionally elite.

When discussing this season's issues, I think a lot of people aren't aware that Cam wasn't even throwing the football in practices except on Friday's for the first three weeks of the season. His arm was basically dead. Even now, Rivera says Cam's reps this offseason/season combined probably amount to completing training camp. I don't really know why we were playing him. I guess healthy Derek Anderson is as bad as unhealthy Cam. I dunno. Honestly I don't think I've ever seen Cam as bad as I did in weeks 1 and 3. Just horrid. Even with a clean pocket he was throwing terrible passes. Lacked zip as well. But then he practiced every day leading up to the New England game and looked great. Probably not in sync with the offense if you aren't throwing the ball every day. Or maybe the Patriots defense is just *that* bad. We'll see how he does against Detroit. Still need to see him go deep a few times and not be wildly inaccurate on those throws. Thankfully with CMC he has a reliable dumpoff option now if he isn't comfortable with heaving it. Also it helps the offense when Cam runs a few times. Keep defenses honest. I don't like how Rivera and Shula seem to be trying to stop that. If you take his legs away you're just hampering him. At least he's been sliding a lot so far this year. And thus ends my rambling thoughts on Cam Newton.

11 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

I will never get that "15-1 is a fluke" I could get it if the panthers choked in the playoffs or Cam wasn't actually good that season. But he was the MVP, legitimately played like a top 5 QB the entire year, won 2 playoff games and almost won a SB. 

How is that a fluke? what more does he need to prove? 

It’s a fluke because he, nor the Panthers as a team, (or rather, offense) have come close to proving that 2015 was anything of the norm. If Sam Bradford wins an MVP, I’d call it a fluke until he was consistently playing at a high level. 

His legs are about the only consistent part of his game.

7 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

He went 15-1, did not play like a top 5 QB, won 2 playoff games on the back of his defense and opponents being stupid, and got curbstomped in the SB.

It was a fluke because that Panthers team got handed games/fortunate bounces/caught teams at bad times.

It was a fluke because as good as that Panthers defense was, the offense was not.  The OL somehow didn't get exposed until the SB against the Broncos pass rush, and teams were somehow too stupid to know that Cam couldn't drive down the field in a 10+ play drive and that the Panthers relied on deep bombs, so teams played cover one or cover zero and let Ted Ginn and company just run free downfield for big plays.

I don't know why it took so long for teams to realize Cam is an elite athlete, scrub QB and just play their safeties back, but the next season the OL played to its level and teams stopped giving away deep bombs for free.  He's gotten by, by being such a great athlete, but now his athleticism is sapped and he can't lean on his running, and now you see the results.  He's not a passer.

Off the top of my head

Brady, Rodgers

Brees

Ryan

Stafford, Wilson, Cousins, Carr, Ben, Smith

Goff, Taylor, Watson, Wentz, Prescott, Mariota

Dalton, Keenum, Winston, Rivers, Newton

I have 16 guys I'd take over Newton, and a couple more that are about the same tier.

Yet how many of those players have 15-1 seasons, an MVP award and an appearance in the superbowl? Don't get me wrong Cam has his flaws but I'll take those over the flaws of some of those players...Especially Dalton, Mariota, Wentz,Watson, Goff, Smith, Winston. Since they're all unproven or have had next to no post-season success. 

13 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Yet how many of those players have 15-1 seasons, an MVP award and an appearance in the superbowl? Don't get me wrong Cam has his flaws but I'll take those over the flaws of some of those players...Especially Dalton, Mariota, Wentz,Watson, Goff, Smith, Winston. Since they're all unproven or have had next to no post-season success. 

Yeah I get taking Newton over the unproven quarterbacks and Dalton even though most of the time Dalton is better but the times when he isn't seems to be the most important times. Still, bringing up the one really good season by Cam and the only season where he had a 90 passer rating in his 7 year career as your argument as to why he is better than other quarterbacks isn't really a great point. It would be like saying Matt Ryan is the best QB in the league because of last year ignoring what he has been over his career which is more a top 10 QB than even top 5. One year doesn't change that much. Would you take Flacco over all of those guys?

22 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

People seem to forget that losing teams in the SB usually stink the following year, so putting down Newton for following that script seems ridiculous to me.

IMO, he is clearly a top 10 QB and as those above him retire, he could easily become a top 5 QB. Stats aside, he is a winner and that is all that matters.

"Stats aside, he is a winner" sounds like the way you'd describe Eli Manning or some other guy with non-elite and sometimes awful stats who has actually won a Super Bowl

Newton has never won a Super Bowl and looked quite bad in his one appearance. Labeling him a "winner" is a bit much

6 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Anyone who says he would take Case Keenum is on the same level as Cam Newton needs his head examined. Case Keenum is a terrible, terrible QB.

While I agree with the bolded, I dont think Keenum is terrible....much less terrible x2.   He isnt starting caliber, but he is an okay backup for a game here and there.  Id take him over Landry Jones.   Not saying much, I know, but I think too many people are unrealistic about QBs in this league and regularly label average QBs as "bad" and bad starters/decent backups as "garbage".    

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

While I agree with the bolded, I dont think Keenum is terrible....much less terrible x2.   He isnt starting caliber, but he is an okay backup for a game here and there.  Id take him over Landry Jones.   Not saying much, I know, but I think too many people are unrealistic about QBs in this league and regularly label average QBs as "bad" and bad starters/decent backups as "garbage".    

Fair enough. I just mean as far as starting QBs go, he is terrible. And anyone putting him in that top 20 range for QBs... just... what????

I know there was absolutely nothing going for Rams QBs last season, but watching that guy and his linguine arm try and move the chains was brutal. 

Archived