The Pats QB situation

Apparition

This is a weird draft.

There are 2 great players that could be (based on mocks) had at the 10th spot.  Micah Parsons LB, Penn State and Ja'Marr Chase WR, LSU. 

You could also trade down and end up with,  Nick Bolton LB, Missouri ,  DeVonte Smith WR, Alabama,  and   Rondale Moore WR, Purdue.

I look at Moore as the next Tyreek Hill. I wouldn't be surprised if the the Chiefs end up with Moore which will piss me off, just like them getting friggin Clyde Edwards-
Helaire

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Honestly I think they have lowkey started rebuilding. IMO you always start in the trenches, first with OL then with DL. This draft should be heavy on DL and LB IMO

I agree. but you also have Cap next YR. You can fill those needs and still take Chase in the 1st RD. This is coming from a guy that hates WR in the 1st RD.  IMO Chase gives more on offense than catches.  He's a game changer and he create mismatches for other offensive players. IMO he is PRO ready with zero faults.

PS  I can't take it anymore. Get a WR. PPPPPPPPPPlLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🥵

If Cam can't turn it around and Stidham doesn't inspire confidence, one name I'd consider as a stopgap is Matthew Stafford. He's been a consistently fringe top-10 QB over the past few years, and would IMO be a strong fit for the Pats. If the Lions go into a full rebuild, there's a good chance he won't be in their plans. 

Edited by Starless
  • Like 2

If Stid looks like a viable QB it also means that somehow he was able to produce with the putrid pass-catching options available right now. So WR becomes less of a need and they can focus on shoring up the lines on both sides of the ball. I haven't been able to follow college football recently, so I have no idea whether the talent is there to fill their needs through the draft, so I'm just throwing up ideas.

Offense:

• Keep Thuney and draft/trade/sign for depth on the OL: at least a swing tackle and an IOL who can adequately replace Andrews if he's injured again and provide depth at G.
  • Push the offense towards running the ball and controlling the clock: get a big bodied WR who can make contested catches outside and in the red zone and can run-block. Draft RB depth and ignore the TE position hoping that the rookies will emerge and be reliable short-intermediate range targets (thatsaboldstrategycotton).

Defense:

• The main focus of the draft and the first two picks ought to come here.
  • IDL and LB with the first two picks in a coverage backer/run stuffer or interior rusher/thumper (main strengths) combo (too specific? maybe).
  • Hope and pray the secondary can last one more year / earlier draft picks (Williams, Dugger) start panning out and draft DB depth if the capital is still there. 10 picks seems nice and can provide some wiggle room.

The only way Stidham does well is if those around him perform.. Harry is a bust and Edelman is done.. so I'll assume that means the Rookie TE's get better towards the end of the season leaving that position no longer a need. I would really want to see Gunnar in the slot more often to see if he can also be an Edelman replacement which would really help moving forward. 

Thuney is gone but this team has proven they can find quality OL late in the draft so that's not a concern imo. 

Top Needs would be: WR / IDL / LB / RB ..... oh and kicker smh

James White and Burkhead are free agents.. assuming Harris is the answer that still leaves a hole at RB. 

This would also depend on Free Agency.. i could certainly see them going after a couple WR in Free Agency then push for a Defense heavy draft to make this defense as fast as possible. The secondary even without Gilmore can be great .. and if they can stop the run they will be dominant. 

Edited by Crimmage

16 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Honestly I think they have lowkey started rebuilding. IMO you always start in the trenches, first with OL then with DL. This draft should be heavy on DL and LB IMO

I think so too. It seemed like Bill was managing to rebuild AND be relevant at the same time, but the latter part looks less likely now.

So, your scenario @Starless puts us in solid top 10 territory, I think?

1. IF one of those top 3 QBs are there, you probably take one. He can still sit behind Cam if Cam comes back, if not - there's a QB comp between Stid and the new one. Hopefully for QBOTF. If we are 6-10, I can't see any other scenario other than that we have a QB issue. I'm not as high on Fields and Lance as others though....

2. A template for what we need will  be there for both the LB and WR position. I want Parsons bad....one of Chase or Waddle will be there, and apparently they are set to be elite WRs. So one of these if available

3. A trade down, the WR class is deep. 

• Like 1

1. I think the team trades Thuney and Gilmore if they do lose at Buffalo to get more draft picks

2. I would pass on the QB either way. The Patriots will need to go through a full rebuild and first build up the team with major upgrades at defensive line, linebacker, wide receiver and tight end.

3. What we should do is bolster those positions through FA and in the draft if possible get the BPA at other positions that have not been addressed yet. I would expect us to draft between 8-12, so I think we will look really, really hard at Parsons, Penn State.

15 hours ago, LD696 said:

Keep Thuney

That would be a luxury they can't afford. They have IMO quality guards with out him. Mason and  Michael Onwenu. I love Thuney, however you need the money elsewhere.

get a big bodied WR who can make contested catches outside and in the red zone and can run-block.

Heck no.  I hate this profile on a WR they are useless in today's game. I want a guy with speed and exposition off the line. The Dez Bryant type of WR a dinosaur in today's game. The key to D.K. Metcalf game is speed and explosion ,not size.   These Big WR are the type BB has mostly picked through the years.

KC WR are the way to go. You don't see some big slow guy, you see speed and more speed.

• The main focus of the draft and the first two picks ought to come here.
  • IDL and LB with the first two picks in a coverage backer/run stuffer or interior rusher/thumper (main strengths) combo (too specific? maybe).

I agree with this overall however if Parsons is not there they have to trade down if they are drafting for defense. IMO the 10th pick is to high for a (Parsons Drafted higher) defensive player. I would still take Chase WR, if he still on the board.

Edited by m haynes

Two QB I like in this draft

1. Kyle Trask, QB, Florida

2. Zach Wilson*, QB, BYU

Hunter mentioned it earlier.

I have major concerns with Justin Fields  Ohio State. 

1. Ohio State Product.

2. Can he read the field and go through his progressions. Does a OS QB ever have progressions?????

3. Pocket presences.  I watched tape and this is a major issue IMO. 

4. How can he not succeed, when he has 4 second to sit in the pocket.

QB I don't like at all,  who have been mentioned as Pats draft pick

1. Jamie Newman  Georgia/WF

2. Brock Purdy  Iowa State

3. Tanner Morgan  Minnesota

4. K.J. Costello   Mississippi State

PS  I hope I spelled some of the words I used correctly.  🥵

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SBLIII said:

1. I think the team trades Thuney and Gilmore if they do lose at Buffalo to get more draft picks

2. I would pass on the QB either way. The Patriots will need to go through a full rebuild and first build up the team with major upgrades at defensive line, linebacker, wide receiver and tight end.

3. What we should do is bolster those positions through FA and in the draft if possible get the BPA at other positions that have not been addressed yet. I would expect us to draft between 8-12, so I think we will look really, really hard at Parsons, Penn State.

Agree with all this. Except, I think Parson will be gone by 8. People are calling him the next Keuchly (I don't, but...).