The Pats QB situation

Apparition

You're certainly right there.. but I look at it from the perspective of: 

• Team can get out of QB contract next season, not expensive deal if they even wanted to trade the player
  • Coach publicly criticizing QB showing that he isn't "his guy" 
  • New GM being hired which has no attachment to current QB
  • Elite level prospect potentially being available to them in the draft 

They certainly do have a lot of needs.. but I think it's highly likely that they take a QB. IF for some reason they do not take a QB, it is likely they are open to trading down and a QB needy team like 49ers / Denver / Patriots could move up to get their guy if he is still available. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

grim...

The sad thing is I can actually see Stidham as the starting QB in 2021, Take a trip back to the last time the Patriots were bad in 2000 the Patriots offense was 22nd in total yards, 19th passing yards, 26th in scoring offense, and finished 5-11. People begged Belichick to start some one else at QB (Michael Bishop was the name most asked for but there was a guy named Brady that played 1 game 1-3 6yrds) but Bill wouldn't start anyone other than Bledsoe. 

So here's the thing, the odds of the Patriots getting one of the top three QBs is basically zero. The odds if getting QB 4 is slim and would possibly be consider a reach at 15. The is also the fact that taking QB 4 doesn't fix enough problems. If the Patriots address other needs at 15 then QB 4 and QB 5 are likely not there with the next pick and may cost too much to trade up for.

So that leads to signing other QBs. I don't see the Lions getting rid of Stafford because even if they draft a QB they need a bridge. Jimmy G coming back to the Patriots: based on what Shanahan has said lately it doesn't seem that he has completely given up plus he cost more than what he is worth. Fitzpatrick: seems possible but he can be Fitztragic to often and with Tua struggling the Dolphins will likely try to keep him around. 

So who does that leave? 

3 hours ago, jofos said:

I don't think he sucks but he was/is certainly over rated.

Jarret Stidham will be the Patriots starting QB in 2021.

If Stidham couldn’t beat out 2020 cam newton even when the games were meaningless he stinks 

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I'm not convinced that Stidham will even be on the roster opening day next season.. I think we will see an entirely new QB room. 

I'd be real happy with a young, veteran QB and two rookies.. I doubt BB does that but I really want as many cracks at finding the next guy as possible. If they don't get a first round QB I think Ridder from Cincinnati could be really interesting if he comes out this season. He seems like a guy who could be a mid to high first round pick next season if he comes back and gets a bit more experience.. coming out this season as a second round pick would be a big win for the Pats. 

I say all this with the assumption at minimum 4 QBs get drafted before 15..by the time the combine rolls around I think it will be 5 with Mac Jones dazzling teams in his interviews

• Jacksonville - Lawrence 100%
  • Jets - Fields / Wilson 99%
  • Miami / Atlanta / Detroit -> Wild card QB of Fields / Wilson .. 50/50 one of those 3 teams take a QB (Depends if they fall in love with Wilson/Fields)
  • Carolina -> 100% taking a QB .. Teddy a disappointment .. they are going to want a new QB this season. They could try to push Trey Lance as the new Cam to re-energize the fan base?
  • Denver -> 60% chance of a QB.. Elway just resigned.. new GM could easily fire the coach and go after a new QB.. Lance / Jones / Trask could easily fill that spot for them.. they have very talented WR.. a good RB.. top OL would already be gone.. QB is a good option for them
  • San Francisco -> 50% chance.. I have a strange feeling they are going to fall in love with Mac Jones .. given all the weapons they have, they are going to be looking for someone who is accurate, durable and doesn't turn over the ball. They have so many YAC monsters on that team that they could make Jones look really good
  • Minnesota -> 5%.. I put this at 5% only because I think so many QBs will be taken ahead of them.. they could easily go nuts and decide they love Trask and plan to sit him behind Cousins for a year.. who knows 

I may just be being pessimistic but I think this could be the most QBs taken in the first round in over a decade .. so many guys project to at least being mid level starters .. and SOOO many teams have a need for a QB.. given how many QBs in the last few years have been able to just hop right in and play.. teams are going to be much more inclined to dumb their current QB and go for a cheaper option assuming they will be able to get similar production.

Possibly, but I got it.. will they go QB;

Jacksonville - Yes

New York - Yes

Miami - No, but possibly...

Carolina - No

Denver - Possible, but I smell a trade out here

San Fran - No

Minnesota - No

So 2 maybe 3....this is pretty promising. Am I missing a QB needy team?

12 hours ago, jofos said:

2000 and 2001 Brady couldn't beat Bledsoe ...

any way read the second post.

Did I miss Bledsoe's 2000 and 2001 seasons? Were they arguably one of the worst seasons put together by a starting QB? 

Stidham is not the answer. Not sure BB could have made that anymore clear this year.

This draft will tell us what is the goal for each team. The goal is to win the SB and have a QB for the long haul to get you there. I can't believe anyone would take the route of building a team than go find your QB. IMO that's not the way you do it in today's football. Look at history its tells all.  Pats fans haven't you been watching the NFL last 20 years. Team with a QB wins, without one you are done.  Every week with Brady we knew we would win. There 's only a few in 20 years that fans had the same feeling. Rodgers,Manning, Brees. That's it. ( Please I'm not here to turn this into other QB's did the same for their teams. EX Wilson  )

The 1st 4 teams in the draft should take QBs, if they don't there idiots!!!!

Matter of fact everyone up to the Pats should take a QB except Bengals !

Teams this year that want a chance at a future SB.  TAKES A QB!!!  None of these teams have one for different reason talent and to old for the long haul.

Just look at the list and ask, can they reach the SB. It's easy its yes or no. If the thought build around them comes into you head, stop!

Small example  Dallas. Ask the question. Y/N. Prescott bring you to the SB? Heck no, and he wants 500 million!

Last   Just look at all the Teams before the Pats, and ask yourself can they win the SB with there current QB.  If you answer yes, your fired as my GM!😁 Remember you will have to beat Mahomes, Herbert, Josh Allen and Borrows down the road. Good luck!!!

Forgot  Build around QB means you have to hit on all of your draft choices and you have 3/4 years to do it. Roster turnover, cap reasons and FA lost. Spinning Wheel!

Edited by m haynes

The 49ers are the biggest threat imo.. if they get a great QB who is durable they can go on a run. 

That team is really good when everyone is healthy. You don't need an overly complex offense for a young QB to be successful. All of their RBs are solid.. and they have 2-3 WR who are YAC monsters.. not the mention Kittle. 

If they grab a QB in the first.. they can focus on defense the rest of the draft and be stacked ( assuming OL is good.. idk anything about their OL)

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Did I miss Bledsoe's 2000 and 2001 seasons? Were they arguably one of the worst seasons put together by a starting QB? 

Stidham is not the answer. Not sure BB could have made that anymore clear this year.

Bledsoe started all 16 games in 2000 and started the first two of 2001. Brady would have never started had it not been for the Bledsoe injury. I never said Stidham was or is the answer just I don't think the Patriots reach for a QB in the draft or sign some guy that is a long term starter.

31 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

The 49ers are the biggest threat imo.. if they get a great QB who is durable they can go on a run. 

That team is really good when everyone is healthy. You don't need an overly complex offense for a young QB to be successful. All of their RBs are solid.. and they have 2-3 WR who are YAC monsters.. not the mention Kittle. 

If they grab a QB in the first.. they can focus on defense the rest of the draft and be stacked ( assuming OL is good.. idk anything about their OL)

Exactly. This team doesn't have to build. They need a QB without they are on the spinning wheel.

ADDED  Great surrounding cast and they still can't get there without a QB. Tick Tick TicK

Edited by m haynes

On 1/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, jofos said:

The sad thing is I can actually see Stidham as the starting QB in 2021, Take a trip back to the last time the Patriots were bad in 2000 the Patriots offense was 22nd in total yards, 19th passing yards, 26th in scoring offense, and finished 5-11. People begged Belichick to start some one else at QB (Michael Bishop was the name most asked for but there was a guy named Brady that played 1 game 1-3 6yrds) but Bill wouldn't start anyone other than Bledsoe. 

So here's the thing, the odds of the Patriots getting one of the top three QBs is basically zero. The odds if getting QB 4 is slim and would possibly be consider a reach at 15. The is also the fact that taking QB 4 doesn't fix enough problems. If the Patriots address other needs at 15 then QB 4 and QB 5 are likely not there with the next pick and may cost too much to trade up for.

So that leads to signing other QBs. I don't see the Lions getting rid of Stafford because even if they draft a QB they need a bridge. Jimmy G coming back to the Patriots: based on what Shanahan has said lately it doesn't seem that he has completely given up plus he cost more than what he is worth. Fitzpatrick: seems possible but he can be Fitztragic to often and with Tua struggling the Dolphins will likely try to keep him around. 

So who does that leave? 

I agree, I think it's likely we go into the season like this

1. Newton

=1. Stidham (Camp battle)

3. drafted QB in later rounds;  Purdy or Ehlinger for example

Jimmy too expensive. I think Staff stays. Darnold out of reach. Dak stays.

• Like 1

There isn't much logic behind overdrafting a QB, overpaying a QB or moving up while giving up future assets.

They need to rebuild this entire roster first which will take 2-3 years best case. Maybe draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and hope to hit the lottery but early round picks need to be used for rebuilding other positions such as WR and LB. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SBLIII said:

There isn't much logic behind overdrafting a QB, overpaying a QB or moving up while giving up future assets.

They need to rebuild this entire roster first which will take 2-3 years best case. Maybe draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and hope to hit the lottery but early round picks need to be used for rebuilding other positions such as WR and LB. 

I completely disagree. 

1st -  You have a cap and you have to build a roaster in 2/3 years.  good luck with that. You have to be flawless in the draft/FA. Now you still don't have a QB, have fun getting one when your record puts you in the latter half of the draft. You can guarantee , you will be over drafting in that position, if not your dreaming if you think the next Brady around the corner. Also any QB  taken will need at least a year or two on the bench. Now that 4/5 years before your ready as long as everything falls in place, good luck. That WR (2021)you just drafted is about to walk out that door. Remember BB not paying big bucks for a "ornament" WR and the WR is not waiting around for that QB you still don't have.

Over drafting a QB says who, Mel Kiper.  You evaluate all the QBs and if you think you found your guy you take him. I don't care where he's so called rated. Do you know how many, top can't miss rated players busted out!!!   You get the QB first, because he's 90% of the reason you team is fighting for the SB. Keep that in mind when drafting. Draft the best WR in the draft and he is nothing without a QB.   Here's my opinion in this years draft on the QBs the might be there at 15.  Many have Jones and Trask rated as 1st RD talent. Lets say the Pats do as well. I don't care if they are considered low 1st RD its meaningless. I laugh when they say you can't pass great players and reach for a QB with a 1st RD grade. A QB is 10 times more important than any position on the field.

I don't agree they have to rebuild this entire roster. IMO they need only 4 players to be back in the hunt. 1st and most important a QB, next we need a ILB, NT and WR. Note you don't need a stud WR you need NFL WRs  not the crap BB has on the roster. Upgrade on Byrd and Harry.

Maybe draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and hope to hit the lottery  Your words not mine. Mega Millions jackpot are 1 in 302.6 million and the odds of winning.

Two examples why your need a QB first. Browns and the KC.  Browns need no explanation. KC without Mahomes there talented roaster would still be waiting for their 1ST SB.

IMO  I would take Jones at 15. He would fit in perfect with a (play action) running team. He's smart, accurate and doesn't turnover the ball. What I like about him is with all the weapons he never forces the ball downfield and will dump it to his outlet.

Skills I look for in a successful QB, smart, accurate and doesn't turnover the ball. Hmm sounds like Jones to me.

ADDED Perfect example Bledsoe and Brady.

Bledsoe all world physical skills. Brady smart, accurate and doesn't turnover the ball.

I forgot I'm not talking about complete risk such as Jordan Love. You kidding me, he would be lucky if I picked him in the 5th RD. Jones or Love (Lance) really!!!!

Edited by m haynes