The Pats QB situation

Apparition

39 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Trask could be a hell of a pick for the Steelers at the end of the first round

Work with me here. If Trask is a hell of a pick for Steelers. Why? 

After you answer that. My question is why is a great pick for Steelers and not the Pats.  I have to assume Trask will pan out based on your hell of a pick comment.   Please don't take this wrong I'm not coming after you.   I have these thoughts all the time.  I say Trask at 15 is to early but if the Pats want him they have to take him at 15 but wait that's to early.

Trust me I can't write for crap so I hope I'm getting my point across. I like Trask in the 2nd RD so whats the biggie if the Pats take him at 15.

1st and 2nd pick should be players your confident they can play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Work with me here. If Trask is a hell of a pick for Steelers. Why? 

After you answer that. My question is why is a great pick for Steelers and not the Pats.  I have to assume Trask will pan out based on your hell of a pick comment.   Please don't take this wrong I'm not coming after you.   I have these thoughts all the time.  I say Trask at 15 is to early but if the Pats want him they have to take him at 15 but wait that's to early.

Trust me I can't write for crap so I hope I'm getting my point across. I like Trask in the 2nd RD so whats the biggie if the Pats take him at 15.

1st and 2nd pick should be players your confident they can play.

A few reasons off the top of my head,

• Steelers pick will essentially be a 2nd rounder like Pats were used to having up until this year. 
  • Ben is 38.. and I haven't heard anything about him retiring. He could be playing 2-3 more years before retiring which would give Trask a lot of time to develop similar to Aaron Rodgers with the Packers. If Brady was 38 I would be banging the Trask drum more than likely because I think under the right circumstances he could be a good QB. 
  • Drafting him at 30 for instance gives you one more year of control as a first rounder 
  • Trask hasn't been a starter all of his college career, so he still has a long way to go.. if the Pats were to draft him, I'd honestly expect that he would be starting by mid season because they likely won't have anyone decent to start ahead of him. Ben is still a good QB so the Steelers don't need him in the short term.
  • Receivers.. Steelers have been historically great at drafting receivers and having great receivers around him will certainly help with his development ( and make him do better than some other places because i think he has some accuracy issues). 
  • Top 15 QB I expect them to play asap because they should be something special .. 26-35 QB I don't expect to start for a year or two. Pats messed up last few years and probably should have been drafting many more QB's in hope of finding a guy.. but they didn't so they now need a guy who can start early because otherwise they are stuck with the Cam Newtons of the world in free agency. 
  • Something about Trask just feels like his ceiling is a mini Ben.. so having Big Ben teach Mini Ben seems like a good idea. This is of course assuming he is the type of QB who likes to mentor his replacement ( Brady wasn't that guy) 

I don't knock the kid and have only watched a handful of his games.. but for some reason he seems like the type who if he struggles a lot early he may never get out of it. Having a few seasons of practice, pre-season, etc. could work wonders for his development, confidence, etc. These are of course just my gut feelings but if the draft really does go crazy and 5-6 QBs get taken in the first round, I would rather trade from 15 to 25 and take whoever is left between Kyle and Mac because they are really a toss up for me currently. 

33 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

A few reasons off the top of my head,

• Steelers pick will essentially be a 2nd rounder like Pats were used to having up until this year. 
  • Ben is 38.. and I haven't heard anything about him retiring. He could be playing 2-3 more years before retiring which would give Trask a lot of time to develop similar to Aaron Rodgers with the Packers. If Brady was 38 I would be banging the Trask drum more than likely because I think under the right circumstances he could be a good QB. 
  • Drafting him at 30 for instance gives you one more year of control as a first rounder 
  • Trask hasn't been a starter all of his college career, so he still has a long way to go.. if the Pats were to draft him, I'd honestly expect that he would be starting by mid season because they likely won't have anyone decent to start ahead of him. Ben is still a good QB so the Steelers don't need him in the short term.
  • Receivers.. Steelers have been historically great at drafting receivers and having great receivers around him will certainly help with his development ( and make him do better than some other places because i think he has some accuracy issues). 
  • Top 15 QB I expect them to play asap because they should be something special .. 26-35 QB I don't expect to start for a year or two. Pats messed up last few years and probably should have been drafting many more QB's in hope of finding a guy.. but they didn't so they now need a guy who can start early because otherwise they are stuck with the Cam Newtons of the world in free agency. 
  • Something about Trask just feels like his ceiling is a mini Ben.. so having Big Ben teach Mini Ben seems like a good idea. This is of course assuming he is the type of QB who likes to mentor his replacement ( Brady wasn't that guy) 

I don't knock the kid and have only watched a handful of his games.. but for some reason he seems like the type who if he struggles a lot early he may never get out of it. Having a few seasons of practice, pre-season, etc. could work wonders for his development, confidence, etc. These are of course just my gut feelings but if the draft really does go crazy and 5-6 QBs get taken in the first round, I would rather trade from 15 to 25 and take whoever is left between Kyle and Mac because they are really a toss up for me currently. 

Thanks. Get where your coming from.  The only thing I disagree with ( there no right or wrong answer here) is a QB has to start right away.  If a QB is raw like Trask and you know he needs time I still take him. No matter what, you have to pick a guy. Every year you wait you stay longer on that spinning wheel.  Lets say next year Pats get the 23rd pick the wheels spins for another 2 years. Boy its sucks having no QB!

PS  Wilson hasn't done much in the game stat wise however the lack of talent at the WR position is really showing. No one is open and if they are they atre dropping the ball all falling down!  There is no one open.

What he has shown  good pocket skills,  accuracy Wilson need some work using his legs to throw. I'm not questioning arm strength I'm talking about mechanic on side outs  He has not hurt his standing in this game.

Edited by m haynes

I think Wilson showed he has talent but I think this game showed the issue with evaluating things this year. Offenses have looked great because for the most part defenses have been horrible. 

The draft is going to be very interesting.

You're right, at the end of the day if you believe someone will be special you should probably take him as soon as possible to make sure nobody else takes him. 

I worry about a young QB playing with this awful receiving group and having their confidence completely shot and not reaching their full potential. At the end of the day for all we know BB plans on having a vet start all next season no matter who he drafts so it's really tough to tell. 

1 minute ago, Crimmage said:

You're right, at the end of the day if you believe someone will be special you should probably take him as soon as possible to make sure nobody else takes him. 

I worry about a young QB playing with this awful receiving group and having their confidence completely shot and not reaching their full potential. At the end of the day for all we know BB plans on having a vet start all next season no matter who he drafts so it's really tough to tell. 

Exactly. You don't have to worry the (Trask sits a year) SB run starts in 2022! 😁👍

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

F...we play Tampa Bay next season

You thought it was weird seeing Tom in another uniform, how about playing against us!? He'll be cyborg Brady if he's in that game

I like our chances as long as they run Arians long ball offense. Gilmore on Evans, Jackson on Brown. Dugger on old man Gronk. Now if he's (not) smart, Arains would change his offense to match Brady's 44 yr old skills.

That Tampa team could also look VERY different next season. They've got a few big free agents which could change things dramatically. 

The same can be said for a year older of Brady and Arians being Arians :D

On a side note.. we currently are sitting at #16 in the draft waving at Wilson likely to be the 6th or 7th pick 😢 Jerry Jones seems like a guy who would enjoy a good trade.. If the Cowboys stay at that perfect #5 spot before all the other teams who need a QB.. I really wonder if BB gives him a call and tries to make a deal

4 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

That Tampa team could also look VERY different next season. They've got a few big free agents which could change things dramatically. 

On a side note.. we currently are sitting at #16 in the draft waving at Wilson likely to be the 6th or 7th pick 😢 Jerry Jones seems like a guy who would enjoy a good trade.. If the Cowboys stay at that perfect #5 spot before all the other teams who need a QB.. I really wonder if BB gives him a call and tries to make a deal

I'd rather have Dak than any QB that would be available at #5. 

Jerry Jones agrees, which is why I think it's likely that he tries to call up all the QB needy teams and get as much as possible for that #5 pick in the draft. 

I'm also curious about the Eagles.. they owe Wentz a HUGE amount of money, and just drafted Jalen Hurtz.. any chance they go QB again? or any chance they cut/trade Wentz? He's still young, I wonder if BB and Josh would feel like they could get him back to who he was a couple years ago. 

48 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Jerry Jones agrees, which is why I think it's likely that he tries to call up all the QB needy teams and get as much as possible for that #5 pick in the draft. 

I'm also curious about the Eagles.. they owe Wentz a HUGE amount of money, and just drafted Jalen Hurtz.. any chance they go QB again? or any chance they cut/trade Wentz? He's still young, I wonder if BB and Josh would feel like they could get him back to who he was a couple years ago. 

I want no part of Wentz. If you think Cam's accuracy and mechanics are a problem, Wentz makes him look like Dan Marino in comparison. I think if the Eagles are smart, they'll evaluate Hurts for the remainder of the year, then sell off Wentz for pennies on the dollar.

8 hours ago, Crimmage said:

If I were in charge of TB roster building, I'd be ok losing one of those elite WRs, and I'd replace him with 2021's version of Wes Welker or Julian Edelman, or even better....a receiving back.

As for the Cowboys, this feels like our only shot at getting into top 4 for a QB pick up now

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If I were in charge of TB roster building, I'd be ok losing one of those elite WRs, and I'd replace him with 2021's version of Wes Welker or Julian Edelman, or even better....a receiving back.

As for the Cowboys, this feels like our only shot at getting into top 4 for a QB pick up now

BB should ask for Dak.