The Pats QB situation

Apparition

Sam Ehlinger

Ok I keep going over the QB's trying to find the( sarcastic) hidden Gem. Guys I over looked, played on a crap teamm, bad coaching  or under performed. The QB the draft experts have written off.  I read many articles and try to match it to what I see on game/highlight videos.

Reason why I bring this up, I read articles on Sam Ehlinger that said he was just like Tim Tebow. WHAT!!!!!!  They must be on drugs, the kid can throw. So off I go watching video's and reading more on him.  He has peaked my interest . I was looking at him in the Pats offense and what type a player BB likes. This kids skills and makeup are just what he would look for.

I know there is an ton of negatives on him but looked past it and I can see the Pats taking him a lot higher than everyone thinks. This kid is tough , smart and can run. He also can throw but need (mechanics) work.  I will not be shocked if the Pats show interest.

PS  Cincinnati  Ridder reminds me of Will Grier. Don't waste a draft choice!

Edited by m haynes

6 hours ago, m haynes said:

Sam Ehlinger

Ok I keep going over the QB's trying to find the( sarcastic) hidden Gem. Guys I over looked, played on a crap teamm, bad coaching  or under performed. The QB the draft experts have written off.  I read many articles and try to match it to what I see on game/highlight videos.

Reason why I bring this up, I read articles on Sam Ehlinger that said he was just like Tim Tebow. WHAT!!!!!!  They must be on drugs, the kid can throw. So off I go watching video's and reading more on him.  He has peaked my interest . I was looking at him in the Pats offense and what type a player BB likes. This kids skills and makeup are just what he would look for.

I know there is an ton of negatives on him but looked past it and I can see the Pats taking him a lot higher than everyone thinks. This kid is tough , smart and can run. He also can throw but need (mechanics) work.  I will not be shocked if the Pats show interest.

PS  Cincinnati  Ridder reminds me of Will Grier. Don't waste a draft choice!

Don't mind him actually, but Texas really does make it easy for him. Half field reads etc

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Don't mind him actually, but Texas really does make it easy for him. Half field reads etc

I read that in many articles, however you can see him in many of the videos reading the defense and seeing the whole field.  You could be spot on with the Half field offense, but I have to assume BB can determine if his skill level is more than that.

ADDED   This kid started as a freshman. Maybe the offense was about the coach and his philosophy. I know many of the players were frustrated with the coach and Sam Ehlinger  was one of them. 

They said SE was very smart and was a film junkie. Maybe he wasn't given a choice or the coach didn't have the ability to change. I just don't know the reason. What I saw on tape with SE,  doesn't match there record and failure as a team. Something doesn't add up!

Freshman does this and after nothing!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8P5Kz_Vgfk

Edited by m haynes

34 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I read that in many articles, however you can see him in many of the videos reading the defense and seeing the whole field.  You could be spot on with the Half field offense, but I have to assume BB can determine if his skill level is more than that.

ADDED   This kid started as a freshman. Maybe the offense was about the coach and his philosophy. I know many of the players were frustrated with the coach and Sam Ehlinger  was one of them. 

They said SE was very smart and was a film junkie. Maybe he wasn't given a choice or the coach didn't have the ability to change. I just don't know the reason. What I saw on tape with SE,  doesn't match there record and failure as a team. Something doesn't add up!

Yeah, I feel similar ways. Seems like a perfect player on the surface.

But the red flags in analysis come up. Did you read ....Born leader? First in the training facility last out? Studies film all the time? Cam newton-esque :D

I wouldn't be against picking him in later rounds. He'll definitely get drafted, might as well be us

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, I feel similar ways. Seems like a perfect player on the surface.

But the red flags in analysis come up. Did you read ....Born leader? First in the training facility last out? Studies film all the time? Cam newton-esque :D

I wouldn't be against picking him in later rounds. He'll definitely get drafted, might as well be us

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Born leader

Not sure if I read that, but I read many talking about his life and how he worked. Basically what you mentioned,

First in the training facility last out? Studies film all the time?

Sam Ehlinger looks like a good position double dip prospect. He looks like someone you'd be able to draft in the 4th-5th rounds tbo

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 QB's taken in this upcoming draft. Stidham could easily be cut next training camp given that he hasn't been able to take over after 2 years in the system. I'm all for drafting developmental guys every year going forward until we find the next franchise guy. That or Stidham could be the bridge guy next season with a QB Depth chart something like: Stidham / Jones / Ehlinger  

I believe this is how Seattle got Wilson .. they signed a high priced free agent, drafted him in the 3rd or 4th and immediately knew he was going to be special. Washington also did it back in the day with Cousins / RG3. 

31 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Sam Ehlinger looks like a good position double dip prospect. He looks like someone you'd be able to draft in the 4th-5th rounds tbo

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 QB's taken in this upcoming draft. Stidham could easily be cut next training camp given that he hasn't been able to take over after 2 years in the system. I'm all for drafting developmental guys every year going forward until we find the next franchise guy. That or Stidham could be the bridge guy next season with a QB Depth chart something like: Stidham / Jones / Ehlinger  

I believe this is how Seattle got Wilson .. they signed a high priced free agent, drafted him in the 3rd or 4th and immediately knew he was going to be special. Washington also did it back in the day with Cousins / RG3. 

The QB was Matt Flynn.

I hope we do take 2 QBs. I like Ehlinger  in the  4th-5th rounds but IMO he will go in the lower 3rd. Just a hunch. What I like, he (hopefully) gives you what Taysom Hill gives to the Saints. Not bad to have for a backup, if he doesn't  pan out as a starter.

" The dual-threat quarterback finished with 482 rushing yards and 16 total touchdowns."

https://thespun.com/big-12/texas-longhorns/sam-ehlinger-texas-running-backs-stan-drayton

He runs with power. I read somewhere that he could be a heck of a fullback and a goal line power back. I see him coming in (goal line) with the run pass option. 😁

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

It's certainly possible that he goes earlier.. but for the most part I think most people are in agreement on the top 6 quarterbacks ( in no particular order)

• Lawrence
  • Fields
  • Wilson
  • Lance
  • Trask
  • Jones

2019 had: 3 1st round QB, 1 2nd round QB, and Stidham was the 7th QB taken in the 4th round

2018 was a bigger QB focus with 5 in the first round.. then nobody till the late 3rd / 4th. 

I think this season could be very similar to 2018 .. we could have 6 QB's taken in the top 45 but after that I don't think we see anyone else drafted before the 4th round. The value just isn't going to be there anymore ( and multiple of those guys will be over drafted anyway)

11 hours ago, Crimmage said:

It's certainly possible that he goes earlier.. but for the most part I think most people are in agreement on the top 6 quarterbacks ( in no particular order)

• Lawrence
  • Fields
  • Wilson
  • Lance
  • Trask
  • Jones

2019 had: 3 1st round QB, 1 2nd round QB, and Stidham was the 7th QB taken in the 4th round

2018 was a bigger QB focus with 5 in the first round.. then nobody till the late 3rd / 4th. 

I think this season could be very similar to 2018 .. we could have 6 QB's taken in the top 45 but after that I don't think we see anyone else drafted before the 4th round. The value just isn't going to be there anymore ( and multiple of those guys will be over drafted anyway)

I see the first round going similar to last year, with the top 3 (Lawrence Fields and Wilson) going within the top 6 picks, and then a team getting Lance in the late teens/early 20s in that Jordan Love type pick.

4 hours ago, ToonPatriot said:

I see the first round going similar to last year, with the top 3 (Lawrence Fields and Wilson) going within the top 6 picks, and then a team getting Lance in the late teens/early 20s in that Jordan Love type pick.

Lance in the late teens/early 20s in that Jordan Love type pick.

I think your right. I bet some idiot GM will trade to get him.

What did my Pappy say, "There's a sukers born everyday. "

Edited by m haynes

7 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Lance in the late teens/early 20s in that Jordan Love type pick.

I think your right. I bet some idiot GM will trade to get him.

What did my Pappy say, "There's a sukers born everyday. "

Haha!

Maybe he'll be the next Love as well in the sense a team with an already established QB takes him for their QBotF

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

Possible but I think Payton wants to die on the Taysom Hill .. Hill. 

I'm expecting the Steelers to be that team. Big Ben is in his late 30's.. they don't have a replacement yet, seems like the perfect time to get a late 1st round QB to sit for a couple years. 

Colts are another option if they can't convince Rivers to come back.. 

Assuming BB is all in on QB.. most important thing rest of the season is for Dallas to stay at the #5 pick. That's the only way to guarantee QB#3 

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 1

there are, by my estimation, at least 5 QB-needy teams that are likely to pick ahead of the Pats.

Jets

Jaguars

Panthers

Broncos

49ers

Then there are the Bears, who are in a dead heat with the Pats right now for draft positioning, the Giants, who have a decision to make w/r/t Daniel Jones, and the Falcons and Lions, who could be looking to replace veteran QBs with a new coach in place.

I think the Pats being in position to take one of the top 4 QBs without trading up is a long shot at this point. Some of these aforementioned teams might decide that QB is not their biggest priority or the best value for their position in the draft. But hoping for more than half of them to reach that conclusion is pretty optimistic IMO.

Agreed, I think it's much more likely that 2+ of those teams draft a QB than it is that none of them do. We could easily see a run on QB's in the 5-15 range meaning Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones, Trask could be gone. Now this is highly unlikely unless Jones/Trask really shine at the combine/interviews ... but it is wayyy more likely than the#3 QB falling to the Pats. 

If BB wants a QB, I think his only option is going to be to trade up. If he wants to guarantee he gets his guy.. Dallas will be to team to trade up with. Now if he is willing to trade away a future 1st and 2nd or 3rd to move up 10 picks is a totally different story.