The Pats QB situation

Apparition

4 hours ago, Starless said:

Moved up ahead of the 49ers in the draft, but the Broncos screwed us by losing. 

The Pats can do themselves a huge favor by losing to the Jets. Could leapfrog as many as 5 teams, depending on how the rest of next week's slate plays out. The pick can be as high as 9, but no lower than 15.

Root for the Vikings, Chargers, Cowboys, Broncos and Panthers next week. 

Vikings @ Lions 

Chargers @ KC 

Cowboys @ NYG

Broncos vs Raiders

Panthers vs Saints

49ers vs Seahawks

NE @ NYJ

Well, some bad with the matchups here! Above is my prediction - which would make the draft order this;

1. Jags

2. NYJ

3. HOU

4. Atlanta

5. Cinci

6. Phillie

7. Detroit

8. Carolina

9. Denver

10. Dallas

11. NYG

12. LAC

13. NEW ENGLAND

14. SF

LAC and DAL winning would be the best - but LA is against KC. Dallas could beat NYG, which would move us to 12

If we had just 1 more loss (say....against BALTIMORE) we'd be in top 10

Edited by Hunter2_1

Just looked at this mock draft.

Zach Wilson  picked at three.

TRADE: Lions trade pick 11, future 1st-round pick, 2020 3rd-round pick to Bengals for 3rd pick

https://nflmocks.com/2020/12/26/2021-nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence-wilson/3/

I will be pissed if the Pats don't make a better offer if that's all you need to trade to get Wilson. I don't get teams. You make a ( over pay if you have to) trade and you have a QB for the next 10/15 years!!!!!

You want a trade, I'll give you one. Pats trade 14th pick, future 1st RD and Joe Tuney.  I get Wilson!!!!

2 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Just looked at this mock draft.

Zach Wilson  picked at three.

TRADE: Lions trade pick 11, future 1st-round pick, 2020 3rd-round pick to Bengals for 3rd pick

https://nflmocks.com/2020/12/26/2021-nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence-wilson/3/

I will be pissed if the Pats don't make a better offer if that's all you need to trade to get Wilson. I don't get teams. You make a ( over pay if you have to) trade and you have a QB for the next 10/15 years!!!!!

You want a trade, I'll give you one. Pats trade 14th pick, future 1st RD and Joe Tuney.  I get Wilson!!!!

No way do the Lions shell out that much capital for a QB. Their roster is a mess. 

I don't think the Lions will trade up for Wilson.. I also believe that no trade will happen until draft day because the Jets could easily take Wilson. It would be foolish of any team to make a trade in advance given that the Jets are a HUGE wildcard now. If they dominate the Patriots next week they could easily decide to keep Darnold and draft a WR / trade out themselves... if they trade back another team will be grabbing Wilson at #2 because they are never going to trade that pick to the Patriots. 

Franchise and trade situation with Thuney sounds unlikely but I think anyone would do that trade to get Wilson. Maybe it is the pessimist in me but it just feels so unlikely that the Patriots are in a position to draft one of the top 3/4 QBs. It seems likely that we see a huge run on QBs and WRs in the top 15 and they will be coming up right when teams start a run on corners, which just screams trade back to me .. a lot could change but that's how it feels at the moment. 

49 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I don't think the Lions will trade up for Wilson.. I also believe that no trade will happen until draft day because the Jets could easily take Wilson. It would be foolish of any team to make a trade in advance given that the Jets are a HUGE wildcard now. If they dominate the Patriots next week they could easily decide to keep Darnold and draft a WR / trade out themselves... if they trade back another team will be grabbing Wilson at #2 because they are never going to trade that pick to the Patriots. 

Franchise and trade situation with Thuney sounds unlikely but I think anyone would do that trade to get Wilson. Maybe it is the pessimist in me but it just feels so unlikely that the Patriots are in a position to draft one of the top 3/4 QBs. It seems likely that we see a huge run on QBs and WRs in the top 15 and they will be coming up right when teams start a run on corners, which just screams trade back to me .. a lot could change but that's how it feels at the moment. 

I thought of a trade back however what is there at the later half of the draft. I not sure there a player that fit for the Pats. There are quite a few OL after our pick. I don't see a WR or a ILB. The last thing I want is a Edge guy or OLB. The only player that might be there is Rondale Moore. Who I'm very high on. He a game changer, especially in the Pats offense. Put him in motion will force the defense to adjust. Line him up as a passing/sweep RB. Put him wide, next play slot. Ya He will do!

29 minutes ago, biggie. said:

It has been proven that statistically trading up is usually a bad idea. I'd rather go after Trask or Lance.

Tell that to the Chiefs😁 In general I agree with you, Wilson is the perfect QB for the Pats system.

Edited by m haynes

53 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I thought of a trade back however what is there at the later half of the draft. I not sure there a player that fit for the Pats. There are quite a few OL after our pick. I don't see a WR or a ILB. The last thing I want is a Edge guy or OLB. The only player that might be there is Rondale Moore. Who I'm very high on. He a game changer, especially in the Pats offense. Put him in motion will force the defense to adjust. Line him up as a passing/sweep RB. Put him wide, next play slot. Ya He will do!

My pie in the sky scenario would be:

• Get ~12 pick after losing to the Jets next week 
  • Trade back from 12 receiving pick 20-25 and additional 2nd rounder (52-57)
  • With pick 20-25 Patriots select QB: Trask / Lance (whichever person BB loves most)
  • Patriots trade 2nd rounder & 4th rounder to get up to 35-40 and select WR: Rondale Moore / Chris Olave / Kodarious Toney / Terrance Marshall (Lots of quick guys are going to be available beginning of second round)
  • Patriots use own 2nd round pick (44) select ILB: Zaven Collins / Dylan Moses / etc. ( hard part here is I think the best guys will go end of 1st and I don't really know anything about the rest.. doesn't seem like a deep ILB draft. I would be totally ok with TE/WR/ DL here though

I think the key to trading back is to be in front of the Steelers / Saints. It's a bit of a gamble with Washington / Chicago there but I just have a feeling both of them are going to want to go with veterans given that they just recently spent 1st rounders on QBs who didn't work out ( or maybe Trubisky plays well in playoffs and they pay him).

Edited by Crimmage

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

I want no part of Lance. Especially if the goal is to be back in contention within a year or two.

I think you can do both, if BB loves Lance.. you draft him and keep him on the bench for 1-2 years then sign a veteran QB who can bring them back to the playoffs then hand over the team. Lots of players can do much better than Cam did this season if they get some weapons to put around them.. fitzpatrick / Minshew / Taylor / Brisset /etc are good enough to get this team to the playoffs assuming they add a few pieces on offense to go with them. 

We can't expect a super bowl in 2 seasons but we can expect playoffs and entertaining football. You can get that while Lance learns on the bench and the team is being built around him similar to what the Chiefs did with Mahomes. They set him up for success by having a GREAT offense surrounding him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

My pie in the sky scenario would be:

• Get ~12 pick after losing to the Jets next week 
  • Trade back from 12 receiving pick 20-25 and additional 2nd rounder (52-57)
  • With pick 20-25 Patriots select QB: Trask / Lance (whichever person BB loves most)
  • Patriots trade 2nd rounder & 4th rounder to get up to 35-40 and select WR: Rondale Moore / Chris Olave / Kodarious Toney / Terrance Marshall (Lots of quick guys are going to be available beginning of second round)
  • Patriots use own 2nd round pick (44) select ILB: Zaven Collins / Dylan Moses / etc. ( hard part here is I think the best guys will go end of 1st and I don't really know anything about the rest.. doesn't seem like a deep ILB draft. I would be totally ok with TE/WR/ DL here though

20-25 Patriots select QB: Trask / Lance.  IMO this is a major risk. The Pats are in no position to risk missing out on a QB.  San Fran, Chicago, Pitts, Vegas , and NO could make the move and take a QB. Other teams trade up your screwed.

doesn't seem like a deep ILB draft. You exactly right. There are no ILB in this draft. Bolton ( which I love) is the only one and I don't think BB wants that type for his system. I don't like the guys you mentioned. I would go FA. Who I don't know. 

added   Pitt scares me. Trask is a perfect replacement for Ben.

Edited by m haynes

I think that after Cam's "venting" that Stidham may get a chance to start against the Jets.

I don't see the Patriots trading away too much to move up in the draft. I also don't see them over drafting a player. So I'm not sure how they will draft a QB. All that is assuming that the Krafts don't dictate how they want to handle the QB position. Which makes me wonder if Cam may have been the Krafts shopping for the groceries...

It's true.. it is a risk, but even then using the 12th-15th pick one one of those guys just seems like such an over draft .. but I suppose that's just me not being confident enough in them that they will be a star. I feel much more confident giving up picks to go up and get Wilson, than I do standing still and taking Trask / Lance right outside the top 10. It's probably just a mixture of my desire to watch BB turn Gardner Minshew into a star and laugh at the league and draft a #1 WR in the first round. 

I'd be super happy with 2 WR drafted within the first 3 rounds, a developmental QB in the late 1st/early 2nd and trading a 4th for Minshew. 

Gardner Minshew / Trey Lance / Jaylen Waddle / Rondale Moore offseason ... ahhhhhhh would I be so happy ( <--- I know potentially none of those will be around but I can dream)