The Pats QB situation

Apparition

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I want no part of Lance. Especially if the goal is to be back in contention within a year or two.

Did you see how fast Baltimore's improved when they started Lamar Jackson? SF also went to the SB in their first year they started you know who.

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

Did you see how fast Baltimore's improved when they started Lamar Jackson? SF also went to the SB in their first year they started you know who.

Lance isn't Lamar Jackson. 

He's not Kaepernick either.

Both of them needed to sit for a year before they got to play. Lance shouldn't play for at least that long, because his throwing mechanics are a mess and the system he plays in at NDSU won't have him anywhere close to ready for the pros. 

If NFL teams were smart, Lance would be considered a day 2 pick. 

Edited by Starless

He easily could be a day 2 pick, he hasn't played this season and he played in an inferior conference. It's very much a what have you done lately world and his one game this season was mediocre at best. You are drafting him 100% off potential and the belief in your coaching staff that you'll make him a star, I don't think anyone would be expecting to start him day 1. 

Lawrence / Fields were locked in ahead of him all year .. Wilson shot up the charts and is now ahead of him.. Trask has put up huge numbers and his game against Alabama could easily have put him ahead of Lance in many GM's eyes ( even if he is not as athletic). The big question mark right now is Mac Jones, if Alabama dominates their way to another championship I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up huge numbers and he ends up getting drafted in the 1st round too. 

Every year we have a lot of teams who need a QB, but how many QB's really get drafted in the 1st round on a yearly basis? 2020 had 4, 2019 had 3, 2018 had 5 .. Personally I believe Lawrence and Wilson are the only 1st round worthy picks.. but I think 4 QB's go in the first round. one of Mac Jones or Lance I think are available in the second round. 

Mac Jones I think will be Alex Smith level.. but Trask could develop into a really good QB imo. Fine.. but isn't going to make a pro bowl in his career ( likely a long one as a top tier backup) 

If you are looking for a mobile QB you aren't getting that.. but give him a solid OL like the Pats typically have and I think he could do really well in this league. Florida had an awful OL all season and he moved in the pocket well to put up huge numbers. If he gets drafted by the Steelers I think he has a hell of a career replacing Big Ben. With the Pats they have a good OL, give him 1-2 weapons and I think he can be a pro bowler. A speedster and a possession guy and you're in good shape with him.. our running game would help him out as well. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Any way we can get 2nd or 3rd pick? If we can't get Wilson..why settle for an option you think won't ever be good enough? 

Trask and Jones...pfft. You must have mobility now it seems. Wilson or front 7 for me

Wilson would likely require at minimum a future 1st and this years 2nd rounder.. maybe even a 3rd on top of that given that I expect teams to fight over Wilson. This also assumes the Jets don't take him, which they may. The 2nd and 3rd picks are Jets/Miami.. neither team in the division is about to let the Pats get a franchise QB. Unfortunately, I don't believe it will be possible to trade up for him because other teams are going to trade up if possible.. and BB is not going to overpay given how many other positions need help. 

I'm not sold on Jones .. but I don't believe you need a mobile QB to succeed if they are a good enough thrower of the football. If that was the case Brady/Brees wouldn't still be able to play in this league.. sure mobility is awesome, but if they can throw and are mobile in the pocket that's all you need. Being outside of the top 5 to me mainly means you need to develop a guy.. so don't expect him to play this year, Trask/Jones/Lance could be good in the future with enough coaching and weapons around them. 

21 hours ago, Starless said:

Lance isn't Lamar Jackson. 

He's not Kaepernick either.

Both of them needed to sit for a year before they got to play. Lance shouldn't play for at least that long, because his throwing mechanics are a mess and the system he plays in at NDSU won't have him anywhere close to ready for the pros. 

If NFL teams were smart, Lance would be considered a day 2 pick. 

This is why signing a veteran like Fitzpatrick is on my wish list.

16 minutes ago, Starless said:

Don't want Fitzpatrick, either. Runs too hot & cold. There will be better options on the market. 

Here's a list of other notable names;

Dak Prescott - Obvious no go due to cost

Philip Rivers - Still effective despite his age, but how expensive will he be?

Jacoby Brissett - Familiar with the system, has starter experience and has the mobility that's catching Belichick's interest.

Mitch Trubisky - First round pedigree and while he is hot and cold, he's not as bad as people make him out to be. Maybe he needs a change of scenary and better coaching?

Tyrod Taylor - Pretty much a clone of Brissett.

Andy Dalton - Was heavily rumored to sign with us last offseason and has played relatively well in Dallas.

If SF release Jimmy as rumored, then we have our obvious target.

The main reason I'd pick Fitz is because he has shown he can adapt to any team he's on, he's a great locker room presence and would fit in with the Patriot Way and he wouldn't be overly expensive. Belichick has also shown history of signing players that give him trouble ala Welker and Gilmore.

Edited by biggie.

I hate the fact that 9 players on offense opted out to get ready for the draft.. top 4 receivers gone apparently.. but Trask's 1st quarter may have single handedly dropped him out of the 1st round. As much as the Alabama game helped him, this game could crush him.. 5 INT before this game, 3INT in the 1st quarter. 

I respect that he didn't opt out, I feel bad that he's getting crushed though.. losing so much money right now.. 

19 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I hate the fact that 9 players on offense opted out to get ready for the draft.. top 4 receivers gone apparently.. but Trask's 1st quarter may have single handedly dropped him out of the 1st round. As much as the Alabama game helped him, this game could crush him.. 5 INT before this game, 3INT in the 1st quarter. 

I respect that he didn't opt out, I feel bad that he's getting crushed though.. losing so much money right now.. 

It shows how much he needs those receivers to look good. If all things are equal Trask looks very average.