The Pats QB situation

Apparition

Miami gets blown out by Buffalo ( i didnt see the game) .. imagine if they move on from Tua and draft Wilson/Fields!? 

After Kyler Murray anything is possible.. especially given how many times they switched to Fitz during the season.. could they be having second thoughts? If you are Miami would you trade Tua for the 49ers pick and take Wilson? I feel like I would tbo .. hell I would take a 2nd.. Tua is ok, but nothing about him makes me feel like he can become elite

Funny how the year we need a QB would be the year that so many teams at the top desperately need one but also a bunch of playoff teams with aging QBs could trade up to try and get one in the 1st too. Going to get really interesting...

Panthers benched Bridgewater.. seems pretty darn likely they take a QB top 10 too, huh? 

Edited by Crimmage

15 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Miami gets blown out by Buffalo ( i didnt see the game) .. imagine if they move on from Tua and draft Wilson/Fields!? 

After Kyler Murray anything is possible.. especially given how many times they switched to Fitz during the season.. could they be having second thoughts? If you are Miami would you trade Tua for the 49ers pick and take Wilson? I feel like I would tbo .. hell I would take a 2nd.. Tua is ok, but nothing about him makes me feel like he can become elite

Funny how the year we need a QB would be the year that so many teams at the top desperately need one but also a bunch of playoff teams with aging QBs could trade up to try and get one in the 1st too. Going to get really interesting...

Panthers benched Bridgewater.. seems pretty darn likely they take a QB top 10 too, huh? 

I was saying back when he was in college Tua was not a 1st RD talent.  I would draft ( run up with the card) Wilson in a heart beat and sell Tua off to some owner that care about selling tickets.  Any team that give the Fins a 1st RD pick is a fool. Fins offered a 3rd, they should be happy and grab it !

This is my reason for taking a QB at 15. I don't care where they are rated, if Jones and Trask are there, you take one. You don't pass a QB because there are better rated players on the board.  You think the Pats should pass on Trask and Jones at 15 because that's to high in the draft  and they are only low 1st RD talent. Think about that, they have 1st RD talent. good chance they play in the NFL. Guess what, after this year the Pats will be picking in the 20's. Same problem next year, the wheel spins.

Look I'm not saying that you draft them on a prayer. I'm hoping that BB evaluates both and if he think they can play, take him at 15. Don't play games. I will be pissed if they only  draft a QB in the 3rd RD or beyond. I don't want to here after the draft, why didn't he take Jones or Trask with his  (still on the board) 2nd pick, We took the CB because he was rated higher on our board!!!!

If I was Kraft I'd walk to the podium and say. That's the last ST CB you will pick!!! Hit the bricks! 

How many times do  we need a position in the draft and BB doesn't pick one. Everyone of us are pissed, scratching our heads. Than we start to justify because, " In BB we trust." ,  Well that's just not going to fly anymore. We need TE, none in the 2018 draft, we needed QB, draft Danny Etling 6th RD need WR none.

PS   When ask about not taking a QB earlier in the draft. BB sat there there and talked about the virtues of DE!!!

ADDED      We desperately need TEs, he takes zero in the draft. We suffer through a whole season with scrubs. We go into this last draft, BB trades the farm for two TE's. Really!

Edited by m haynes

Did you guys read the following article by Tom Curran? I was enjoying it until this part:

THE PATRIOTS WILL HAVE A FIRST-ROUND QUARTERBACK IN THE FOLD

It won’t be Cam Newton. And there’s no way in hell they’re trading for the contract of Carson Wentz, Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan. But the Josh Rosen, Marcus Mariota, Mitch Trubisky crew? One-hundred percent. You can’t be out there spending $20-plus million on a quarterback who has nobody to throw to. But the Patriots will absolutely see their way clear to a reclamation/journeyman proposal and there’s enough scrap-heaped talent out there right now for them to go and do it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/five-bold-predictions-patriots-offseason

What in the name of baby budha?  Josh Rosen? You kidding me? That one hurts more because I was agreeing almost 100% with him prior to the QB part. He said ain't no way in hell we are taking Stafford contract. Come on? Somethings I really can't understand. We have the cap dude can ball and Bill wont stay coaching much longer if we're at the bottom of the league every year and the vulture press asking about Brady all the time. But then again, if Bill wouldn't pick Stafford because of his contract then he may as well deal with the pain. Also I sincerely not sure how much better is Trubisky or Mariota over Cam. Try to visualize Trubisky throwing to the garbage catchers we have right now. He may be better but now take away all rushing first downs and TDs by Cam and the fact that Ds plan on preventing that which opens for more opportunities down the field but also for the RBs...

Btw, I'm not here praising Cam nor wishing he's resigned. I want him gone. He's mediocre and so is Mariota. After that seattle game when everyone was praising him and people were actually saying he'd develop young players better than Tom Brady did, hintting that one of the reasons trashy Harris didn't develop was because of Tom Brady not liking young receivers I was there saying it was just a matter of playing the worst pass D in the history of the NFL that was the Seahawks at the time

2 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Did you guys read the following article by Tom Curran? I was enjoying it until this part:

What in the name of baby budha?  Josh Rosen? You kidding me? That one hurts more because I was agreeing almost 100% with him prior to the QB part. He said ain't no way in hell we are taking Stafford contract. Come on? Somethings I really can't understand. We have the cap dude can ball and Bill wont stay coaching much longer if we're at the bottom of the league every year and the vulture press asking about Brady all the time. But then again, if Bill wouldn't pick Stafford because of his contract then he may as well deal with the pain. Also I sincerely not sure how much better is Trubisky or Mariota over Cam. Try to visualize Trubisky throwing to the garbage catchers we have right now. He may be better but now take away all rushing first downs and TDs by Cam and the fact that Ds plan on preventing that which opens for more opportunities down the field but also for the RBs...

Btw, I'm not here praising Cam nor wishing he's resigned. I want him gone. He's mediocre and so is Mariota. After that seattle game when everyone was praising him and people were actually saying he'd develop young players better than Tom Brady did, hintting that one of the reasons trashy Harris didn't develop was because of Tom Brady not liking young receivers I was there saying it was just a matter of playing the worst pass D in the history of the NFL that was the Seahawks at the time

Tom Curran is a moron. I turn the channel when he's on a show. He has as much access to the Patriots as you and I do. Watch him when he ask BB question . He peeing himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I'm not ready to conclude that he sucks but it sure seems like there's nothing exceptional about him. 

I don't think he sucks but he was/is certainly over rated.

Jarret Stidham will be the Patriots starting QB in 2021.

I'm not convinced that Stidham will even be on the roster opening day next season.. I think we will see an entirely new QB room. 

I'd be real happy with a young, veteran QB and two rookies.. I doubt BB does that but I really want as many cracks at finding the next guy as possible. If they don't get a first round QB I think Ridder from Cincinnati could be really interesting if he comes out this season. He seems like a guy who could be a mid to high first round pick next season if he comes back and gets a bit more experience.. coming out this season as a second round pick would be a big win for the Pats. 

I say all this with the assumption at minimum 4 QBs get drafted before 15..by the time the combine rolls around I think it will be 5 with Mac Jones dazzling teams in his interviews

• Jacksonville - Lawrence 100%
  • Jets - Fields / Wilson 99%
  • Miami / Atlanta / Detroit -> Wild card QB of Fields / Wilson .. 50/50 one of those 3 teams take a QB (Depends if they fall in love with Wilson/Fields)
  • Carolina -> 100% taking a QB .. Teddy a disappointment .. they are going to want a new QB this season. They could try to push Trey Lance as the new Cam to re-energize the fan base?
  • Denver -> 60% chance of a QB.. Elway just resigned.. new GM could easily fire the coach and go after a new QB.. Lance / Jones / Trask could easily fill that spot for them.. they have very talented WR.. a good RB.. top OL would already be gone.. QB is a good option for them
  • San Francisco -> 50% chance.. I have a strange feeling they are going to fall in love with Mac Jones .. given all the weapons they have, they are going to be looking for someone who is accurate, durable and doesn't turn over the ball. They have so many YAC monsters on that team that they could make Jones look really good
  • Minnesota -> 5%.. I put this at 5% only because I think so many QBs will be taken ahead of them.. they could easily go nuts and decide they love Trask and plan to sit him behind Cousins for a year.. who knows 

I may just be being pessimistic but I think this could be the most QBs taken in the first round in over a decade .. so many guys project to at least being mid level starters .. and SOOO many teams have a need for a QB.. given how many QBs in the last few years have been able to just hop right in and play.. teams are going to be much more inclined to dumb their current QB and go for a cheaper option assuming they will be able to get similar production.

Edited by Crimmage

https://www.nfl.com/news/matt-rhule-says-teddy-bridgewater-has-to-have-a-tremendous-offseason

This article doesn't seem like a coach which wants to have their QB much longer.. the contract looks like it was setup to be a 2 year deal unless Teddy does really well.. unfortunately for him, he hasn't done great this season. With that being said.. why not grab a potential pro bowler in Wilson/Fields/Lance this season .. let Teddy run the team for this year then get rid of him and you have your new QB. If you load up around Teddy for another year.. he holds you back and you end up in the situation the Patriots are in drafting 15 with no top QBs in sight. 

I think if your team is within 2 years of needing a QB and you are drafting in the top 10.. you need to STRONGLY consider drafting a QB if you have the chance. Assuming one of the above 3 guys are there.. I think they pull the trigger and get a new QB.