The Pats QB situation

Apparition

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-bears-jets-patriots-among-12-most-logical-suitors-if-texans-deal-star-qb/

1. New England Patriots

The match of all matches. Wouldn't it be straight-up Bill Belichickian of this team to turn around from its first bad year in two decades and find a way to land one of the game's top young QBs? New England has been a logical landing spot for months, still needing a true Tom Brady successor and flush with cap space, not to mention a penchant for draft-pick trades. Watson, for his part, would assuredly embrace the transition to a longtime contender. And then there's the front-office connections: The Texans just made Patriots lifer Nick Caserio their new GM, granting New England a clean path to trade talks.

49 minutes ago, Dan33185 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-bears-jets-patriots-among-12-most-logical-suitors-if-texans-deal-star-qb/

1. New England Patriots

The match of all matches. Wouldn't it be straight-up Bill Belichickian of this team to turn around from its first bad year in two decades and find a way to land one of the game's top young QBs? New England has been a logical landing spot for months, still needing a true Tom Brady successor and flush with cap space, not to mention a penchant for draft-pick trades. Watson, for his part, would assuredly embrace the transition to a longtime contender. And then there's the front-office connections: The Texans just made Patriots lifer Nick Caserio their new GM, granting New England a clean path to trade talks.

IMO there's not a " chance in NE " that Watson is traded to the Pats. Nick C would be running for his life if that happened. Texan fan are irate now with the  Nick C hire.

Edited by m haynes

5 hours ago, Starless said:

Well, McShay has Fields to the Pats at 15, so that's... something...

“I think he has some progression to go,” McShay said. “He has to realize how to get off that first read. That is what really bothers me.

I have been saying this for 2 months !

https://247sports.com/Article/Todd-McShay-explains-why-Justin-Fields-slipped-in-NFL-Mock-Draft-Ohio-State-Buckeyes--158769054/

Things that pop up in my head when I think about Deshaun Watson.

• I can't believe Watson went 12th in the draft. What were the Bears thinking, I was shocked they took Trib over Watson.  Trib another Kiper special!!
  • Injury prone
  • Holds the ball too long.
  • Blitzes him, not that good. Pats only team that doesn't blitz him. 3 man rush we use it never works. He look's like the greatest on the plant against that defense.
  • Beats the Pats to death.
  • Why does he lose so much.
  • Team loaded at one time. He didn't do much, how much can you blame the coach!
  • I hate the story about giving input in the management decision.  You want a losing team, give players a voice. Hello Bobby Grier!
  • What makes him one of the best in the game. What has he done to deserve that type of honer. I know he has a the physical skills, so what.
  • Do you trade lets say, two 1st RD picks and a 2nd or another pick needed.
  • How can he beat the Pats than lose to the Bangels (without Borrows).  Brady in his last year with the Pats carried the team without any help on offense. Watson ever do that!
  • 1ST reaction,  heck no, when I here what's is needed for a trade. Do I want him, yes but , but but, I just don't know.

I have yet to put my head around this. Any thoughts?

Edited by m haynes

4 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

Watson seems to want a say of football decisions which he is not getting in Houston and he will definitely not find that here either. Love the talent, not sure this is the right fit for him though. He is probably already sick of "the Patriot way."

everybody is when you don't win.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:16 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Am i the only one that thinks Tua sucks...?

Not sure about sucks, but I've never thought that the upside was there. He doesn't have a single elite tool in the box, and thats a problem to me. I think he can be a quality quarterback and get you where you need to go while on a rookie deal, but he's inevitably overpaid on that second deal and he's in that Derek Carr type mold. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 8:37 PM, Forge said:

Not sure about sucks, but I've never thought that the upside was there. He doesn't have a single elite tool in the box, and thats a problem to me. I think he can be a quality quarterback and get you where you need to go while on a rookie deal, but he's inevitably overpaid on that second deal and he's in that Derek Carr type mold. 

Yeah that's fair

On 1/8/2021 at 2:20 PM, m haynes said:

Things that pop up in my head when I think about Deshaun Watson.

• I can't believe Watson went 12th in the draft. What were the Bears thinking, I was shocked they took Trib over Watson.  Trib another Kiper special!!
  • Injury prone
  • Holds the ball too long.
  • Blitzes him, not that good. Pats only team that doesn't blitz him. 3 man rush we use it never works. He look's like the greatest on the plant against that defense.
  • Beats the Pats to death.
  • Why does he lose so much.
  • Team loaded at one time. He didn't do much, how much can you blame the coach!
  • I hate the story about giving input in the management decision.  You want a losing team, give players a voice. Hello Bobby Grier!
  • What makes him one of the best in the game. What has he done to deserve that type of honer. I know he has a the physical skills, so what.
  • Do you trade lets say, two 1st RD picks and a 2nd or another pick needed.
  • How can he beat the Pats than lose to the Bangels (without Borrows).  Brady in his last year with the Pats carried the team without any help on offense. Watson ever do that!
  • 1ST reaction,  heck no, when I here what's is needed for a trade. Do I want him, yes but , but but, I just don't know.

I have yet to put my head around this. Any thoughts?

Automatically turns an offense around - he clearly doesn't need elite weapons (stats better this year without Hop)

I'd have him in a heartbeat, but for 2 firsts and a second....I really have to think about that

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Automatically turns an offense around - he clearly doesn't need elite weapons (stats better this year without Hop)

I'd have him in a heartbeat, but for 2 firsts and a second....I really have to think about that

I would not make the trade. I'm 99% sure you would have to give up more ( 2 firsts and a second) to get him. My thought is you have to give up the farm and you can't give him a team to succeed . The same thing that has happen playing with the Texans.

Caserio would have to really fleece the Patriots to show that he isn't giving them special treatment or the fanbase would be all over him.. 

I think they would honestly be looking at something like 3 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and Gilmore  for Watson. This team has so many holes that i'm not sure you can afford to lose that much ( even when BB has struggled in the draft last 4-5 years). 

• Like 1

I'm not sure any of us thought Brady was suddenly going to fall off a click this season.. especially with all of the weapons he has on offense. That offense is seriously STACKED. 

But on the Patriots.. he would have had an awful season this year and people would have thought he was done. Especially because he would have cost 25 Million.. and start of the offseason the Pats had no money before opt outs.. so how many people would they have cut? Thuney at minimum would have been gone giving him an even harder time to have a good season this year..etc. 

This was never about Brady.. it was about the age of the team and cap being a ticking time bomb. Without youth to keep things cheap you've got no money to fix your weaknesses.. hence the offense we saw this year imo

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I'm not sure any of us thought Brady was suddenly going to fall off a click this season.. especially with all of the weapons he has on offense. That offense is seriously STACKED. 

But on the Patriots.. he would have had an awful season this year and people would have thought he was done. Especially because he would have cost 25 Million.. and start of the offseason the Pats had no money before opt outs.. so how many people would they have cut? Thuney at minimum would have been gone giving him an even harder time to have a good season this year..etc. 

This was never about Brady.. it was about the age of the team and cap being a ticking time bomb. Without youth to keep things cheap you've got no money to fix your weaknesses.. hence the offense we saw this year imo

I also would like to add it about the  SB. The Pats are in no position to win one with or without Brady. Brady will be retired before they get there next chance.  IMO Brady retires this year if he wins a SB  (not happening with their putrid defense).  . I say he plays two more years tops if the Bucks can keep the talent on offense.