The Pats QB situation

Apparition

Jones look pretty good compared to Bortles.

Bortles College #

%           65.7
TD          56
INT         19
Rating     153.8

Jones College #

%            74.3
TD          56
INT         7
Rating    197.6

Has anyone ever seen any concerns about Jones regarding work ethic? 

He isn't a mobile QB.. but I just saw a photo with his shirt off after the championship game and the kids not exactly in athlete shape. Not Brady in college skinny but he's got a bit of a gut .. are we going to see some leaks that he doesn't eat, sleep, and breathe football? Because we know BB would take him off his draft board at that point. 

But at the same time.. if he has a professional training program getting him change 20 pounds of fat into muscle or even just lose it.. he could be a bit quicker.. who knows

46 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Has anyone ever seen any concerns about Jones regarding work ethic? 

He isn't a mobile QB.. but I just saw a photo with his shirt off after the championship game and the kids not exactly in athlete shape. Not Brady in college skinny but he's got a bit of a gut .. are we going to see some leaks that he doesn't eat, sleep, and breathe football? Because we know BB would take him off his draft board at that point. 

But at the same time.. if he has a professional training program getting him change 20 pounds of fat into muscle or even just lose it.. he could be a bit quicker.. who knows

Did his right arm have any fat! 😁

Seriously I don' see any way he gains speed however It would help him within the pocket. Lighter on his feet. He needs to improve on his lateral quickness.  That was a concern I brought up earlier. He jumps instead of moving his feet.

Edited by m haynes

Him getting quicker was a bit of a joke.. my main concern is that he lacks the work ethic to succeed at the next level given how he just jumped in and played amazingly well. 

How will he handle being on one of the leagues worse offenses compared to the best? 

Will be continue to grow ala Jamarcus Russel? 

16 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Him getting quicker was a bit of a joke.. my main concern is that he lacks the work ethic to succeed at the next level given how he just jumped in and played amazingly well. 

How will he handle being on one of the leagues worse offenses compared to the best? 

Will be continue to grow ala Jamarcus Russel? 

I would have the same concern however I just don't see Saban putting up with any crap. What gets me in general is how can you be a professional athlete and be out of shape.

Brady looked the same way in college. I'm pretty sure he still worked. I don't have a clue but maybe college players don't get the one on one training like the pros.

Edited by m haynes

It's possible.. but especially at a college like Alabama i'm sure they have incredibly expensive gym equipment and team trainers. 

Brady was skinny, this kind looks overweight. 

My thought process for Saban is the fact that this is college.. he isn't in it for the long haul. He only needed Jones to be good for a year. He doesn't really care if he falls off a cliff in the pros. I just hope that Saban extensively speaks to BB about that before a decision is made and I'm sure he will. 

Jones would be smart to be doing two a days in the gym from today to the combine to show noticeable body improvement. If he does i'm sure it will make him some extra money because teams will see how committed he is to getting better. 

16 hours ago, Crimmage said:

are we going to see some leaks that he doesn't eat, sleep, and breathe football?

he has a 4.0 GPA and is the championship winning starting QB of the greatest college football dynasty ever. Not to mention pictures can be deceiving. I'm sure work ethic isnt an issue, he just is spread Tf out.

The other thing I have heard talked about here with QB's is taking hits requires pliability and a little bit of weight to absorb the hits. I remember TB12 talking about it a few years ago how being super muscly or super lean isn't ideal or optimal for the QB position over the course of a full season to stay healthy.

• Like 1

Jimmy G is only worth it if 49ers cut him and the Patriots draft a QB in the first two rounds. 

He can't stay healthy.. if somehow he stays healthy all this upcoming season you can guarantee something will happen to him the next.. not worth the 20+ million he is getting.. I just don't see a point in getting him tbo. He is nothing special anymore, we know what he is

20 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Jimmy G is only worth it if 49ers cut him and the Patriots draft a QB in the first two rounds. 

He can't stay healthy.. if somehow he stays healthy all this upcoming season you can guarantee something will happen to him the next.. not worth the 20+ million he is getting.. I just don't see a point in getting him tbo. He is nothing special anymore, we know what he is

Maybe, Jimmy  goes to the Jets. New coach and OC they know Jimmy , easy to implement offense.  They trade Dornold,. move down collect more picks.

Just spit balling here,  maybe a small trade down with the Bengals. Bengals get LT Penei Sewell the Jets take Justin Fields, Ja'Marr Chase, or Micah Parsons.

I would take the ( asset)  QB even thou they sign Jimmy.  Lets say they like Fields, may the best man win than trade the other.

I would take JG back in a heartbeat as a stopgap starter, he already knows the system and his quick release is perfect for what JMcD likes to do on offense. With the OL looking solid, and some decent backs, add JG and some kind of talent at WR/TE and they can produce an offense which won't outright lose you games.

They should still look to draft a QB though. 

With all the of Jimmy G talk, are we assuming he gets cut or that BB actually has to give up something for him? 

Trading a pick and spending 20+ million a year on Jimmy G sounds insane to me.. you can get a bunch of guys who are more durable and can do the same thing for much cheaper. If he gets cut and comes here on a Mariota type contract, sure I guess give it a try.. but I still don't think he is the best option on the market. 

Sports talk, forums, co-workers,etc. laugh at me on the daily because I think Minshew is the answer .. but I'll happily die on that hill that he is better, younger, and more durable than Jimmy G. 

1st year in the league stats: 

Tom Brady: 

64%

190 yards a game

1.5 TD/INT Ratio

Russell Wilson

64%

195 yards a game

2.6 TD/INT Ratio

489 Rush Yards

Gardner Minshew

61%

234 yards a game

3.5 TD/INT Ratio

344 Rush yards

I'm not saying he is all pro.. but you can see from his rookie season that he doesn't deserve to be benched. The man got benched because he was the only person who could get a win in Jacksonville and they wanted Lawrence.. nobody expected him to be anything because he was a 6th round pick. IMO he is a victim of a horrendous organization and a coaching staff which didn't deserve to be employed and had no idea how to put him in a position to succeed.  He was successful in spite of his coaching staff .. put him with BB / Josh and he can be a top 15 QB, 100%

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 2