The Pats QB situation

Apparition

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

he is a victim of a horrendous organization and a coaching staff which didn't deserve to be employed and had no idea how to put him in a position to succeed.  He was successful in spite of his coaching staff .

I just spent the 1st half of the boring  Celitic game., reading and watching Minshew.  I now believe Crimm  has the right guy for the Pats.  I just watched several videos and this kid would fit perfectly in our offensive system.  These two videos highlight some of his qualities. One thing for sure, he knows how to play the position.

Any problems he has is not getting his feet set, but I have to assume that's because hie OL is awful and IMO that can be fixed with coaching and some one to BLOCK! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwXclEXdJ5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jbK3A5BJQ

• Like 1

@m haynesThanks for making me feel like I'm not so crazy haha

You can create a top 10 offense with Minshew day 1 .. and I don't even think it would be that hard to do given the teams draft position and cap space

• Waddle at 15 is an elite rookie of the year player, trading back to late 1st gets you in position to still get a potential #1 WR (Moore / Bateman / Olave / Marshall / Toney /etc.)
  • BB has loved Hunter Henry for years.. we know he's going to try and get him.. seems like almost a certainty. I also think Asiasi has a year 2 jump which helps ( A few tier 2 veterans out there too if Hunter signs elsewhere) 
  • Free Agent WR #2 .. sooo many tier 2 guys who will be overlooked that BB can grab relatively cheap.. Samuel from Carolina being my favorite given his versatility and speed
  • Above options exponentially increases Meyers effectiveness.. he already had a big jump last season, with help he could be even better
  • This many options on the team and we could even see a few good moments out of Harry ( end zone threat, etc)

Between free agency and the draft it's crazy how many options BB has to rebuild this offense. Most importantly you do the above only spending 1 draft pick on the offense.. BB can focus entirely on the defense with the rest for all I care ( although I would personally draft at least 1 OL in the middle rounds + a developmental QB). 

Edited by Crimmage

I was looking at CBs and I found this tape on Tray Lance.  You really get to see him play without the Mel Kipers of the world hype.

I just don't see how he's considered a 1st RD talent. Most of his success is scheme driven other than that his skill is running the ball which will not be as effective at the next level.

The only quality I see other than running is a strong arm. He has a long way to go learning the position before he even sees the field.  If he ever does. He might be a good change of pace guy.

IMO, he's a developmental QB, a complete risk at the next level.

I look at Trask and Jones and I have no idea how you can say Lance overall QB skills even come close. You need more than legs and a strong arm to play QB in the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhTekd2qDj8

Don't believe the hype, with that said the Pats select Tray Lance with the 15th pick. It seem to happen every time I don't like a player and the Pats pick him!😁

Edited by m haynes

To give Lance a little bit of credit, his game this season was mediocre at best. 

His tape last season is what looked spectacular.. but like you said.. he really is a 1 read guy with speed and a huge arm. If you are getting him in the 1st you need to have him sit for a couple years minimum. 

A team with a QB in their mid 30's would be good for him.. if this was 2-3 years ago I would probably be fine with the Pats drafting him and letting him sit behind Brady a few years. 

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

To give Lance a little bit of credit, his game this season was mediocre at best. 

His tape last season is what looked spectacular.. but like you said.. he really is a 1 read guy with speed and a huge arm. If you are getting him in the 1st you need to have him sit for a couple years minimum. 

A team with a QB in their mid 30's would be good for him.. if this was 2-3 years ago I would probably be fine with the Pats drafting him and letting him sit behind Brady a few years. 

What we can see (videos)  I wouldn't touch him in the 1st RD. I would hope the Pats would evaluate him and if they say he's the next Josh Allen, fine. But the last thing I want is a flyer at 15. You can say that won't happen but if you look at history, it happens every year. EX Jordan Love  and for the mature  Pats fans 😁, Tebuckey Jones!!!

I would look at him in the 2nd, based on what we have to make a judgement.  I just can't risk missing out on a top player such as (other) QBs, WR,and CB. Also if Pats have already decided not to sign Wynn your looking at Top LTs as well.

12 hours ago, Starless said:

Why do Pats fans want Minshew all of a sudden? He sucks. Extremely limited in what he can do with the ball. He's basically Chase Daniel with a bigger personality. Should be a backup.

Starr saying he sucks doesn't do much for your augment. Why does he suck?

I think it's really just me haha, with regards to him being just a backup.. I think you're just looking at where he was drafted and the fact that he was benched for Glennon ( because the team wanted to tank for Lawrence). 

If you watch his rookie season.. he had a hell of a rookie year.. not just for a 6th round pick.. but for a rookie QB. This past season, first game he was 19/20 3TD against a playoff team in the Colts. He also was really close to a comeback against the Titans the next week ( after their awful defense gave up 24 points in the first half). 

Baker Mayfield Rookie Year     Minshew Rookie Year

63%                                            60%

3725 Yards                                3271 Yards

27 TD                                         21 TD

14 INT                                        6 INT

131 Rush Yards                         344 Rush Yards

Everyone LOVED Baker his rookie year .. with dramatically better weapons than Minshew.. I would personally rather have Minshew's season because he threw less than half the INT. If Pats draft a QB in the first round and they have Minshew's rookie season.. fans will be ecstatic that we've found the next guy. He doesn't get that hype because 6th round pick.

Is he going to be a top 10 QB? Probably not.. but how hard is it to get a top 10 QB? REALLY HARD .. He can 100% have an Alex Smith type career where you can go to the playoffs, maybe even better going deep in the playoffs while trying to draft developmental guys to compete for the job each year. The Patriots were horrendous by their standards this season.. and they still could only get the 15th pick, you aren't going to draft a top QB, you need to try and develop one to get back to the playoffs. Someone mentioned above Tony Romo.. I think he could easily have a Tony Romo type career but be even more successful in the playoffs because the Patriots have a good coaching staff. You could easily be the Bills waiting 20 years to find your next QB and never make the playoffs.. with Minshew you can continue looking for the next ELITE guy and build a contender around him because he's never going to cost 30+ million a season.

Minshew doesn't turn the ball over which is important to BB and he is a capable passer. He doesn't have all the measurables sure.. but with a good coaching staff he can do much better than in Jacksonville. I also disagree that he is extremely limited .. he isn't top tier in any category but he gets the job done.. he can make all the throws Josh would want him to make and he is mobile enough in the pocket as well as being able to run for a few first downs when necessary. Is he Cam fast? Of Course not.. but he is quick enough to run for 5-10 and get a 1st down when the defense isn't focused on him running. 

• Like 2

How do they determine what coaching staffs are part of the senior bowl? That seems like a great thing for a team to be able to spend extended time with potential draft picks. 

That would also be something if Carolina pulls a NY Giants and drafts Jones at 8 which nobody would expect.