The Pats QB situation

Apparition

8 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I thought CB however I left CB off the list, until Gilmore situation plays out. But if he goes its IMO a major need.

IMO Chung should be cut, he offers nothing for the future. I'm not paying anyone for leadership. 

1) Gilmore will be 31 at the start of the season.. he has maybe 1 great year left and 1-2 good years.. the only way I feel it would be a good idea to resign him would be for a 3 year deal assuming the last 2 he is playing at safety. Even then.. the minimum I'd imagine he would take is something like a 3 year 45 million dollar deal and that just seems like too much to me. I would rather just draft someone to replace McCourty. I'm ok with BB spending top dollar on a Corner, but he has to be young for it to make sense. If you can get a contender to give you a 2nd round pick for him you have to take it and waste it on another bad 2nd round secondary player.. I'd even be happy with a 3rd rounder.. the man just doesn't want to be here ( He just sold his house too btw.. im sure they had an agreement that he would get cut / traded or hold out). 

2) Chung isn't going anywhere.. they just extended him last season and I think BB loves him as a player. He's isn't expensive from what I remember, I could totally see him playing 3rd Safety this season and spending a lot of time helping Dugger get better. Given the depth in this years draft I'm totally ok with spending a 3rd/4th on a safety that they can redshirt and play extensively next season after McCourty likely retires

6 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

1) Gilmore will be 31 at the start of the season.. he has maybe 1 great year left and 1-2 good years.. the only way I feel it would be a good idea to resign him would be for a 3 year deal assuming the last 2 he is playing at safety. Even then.. the minimum I'd imagine he would take is something like a 3 year 45 million dollar deal and that just seems like too much to me. I would rather just draft someone to replace McCourty. I'm ok with BB spending top dollar on a Corner, but he has to be young for it to make sense. If you can get a contender to give you a 2nd round pick for him you have to take it and waste it on another bad 2nd round secondary player.. I'd even be happy with a 3rd rounder.. the man just doesn't want to be here ( He just sold his house too btw.. im sure they had an agreement that he would get cut / traded or hold out). 

2) Chung isn't going anywhere.. they just extended him last season and I think BB loves him as a player. He's isn't expensive from what I remember, I could totally see him playing 3rd Safety this season and spending a lot of time helping Dugger get better. Given the depth in this years draft I'm totally ok with spending a 3rd/4th on a safety that they can redshirt and play extensively next season after McCourty likely retires

Just adding to the safety need. This draft is freaking loaded. Amazing top 10.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/big_board

Not everyone on this board is a fit but overall WOW!

So what have we established?

Mac Jones sucks. Trask sucks. Lance sucks. Wilson is golden boy but we can't have him. Stafford, Fitz and Minshew might plug a hole but isn't the answer.

Let's therefore use this draft to get pieces in place. 

Mahomes stepped into a team that was 2nd in the AFC. This team's roster is bottom 5 easily. Build this up first, then insert the QB.

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Mahomes stepped into a team that was 2nd in the AFC. This team's roster is bottom 5 easily. Build this up first, then insert the QB.

Personally I agree with this, you find your Alex Smith and keep rolling the dice hoping to find your own Russel Wilson in the 2nd/3rd round. Unfortunately, as long as BB is here you aren't going to bottom out and win 1-3 games to get a top QB. So you either need to trade multiple high picks for a veteran or move up in the draft. With how many holes this team has.. I don't think you can afford to make that move this season unless you absolutely know you have the guy ( and top teams this year are in division so they won't trade with the Pats). 

You need to build a young, talented team then you can overpay and get a franchise guy if you can't develop one yourself. Thankfully they could have a lot of picks this year to go along with cap space which can help expedite the process. 15th pick could be really interesting if they don't trade it.. especially if a top CB or LT are available. If Gilmore gets traded for a 3rd that would net them 2 3rd round picks and 3 4th round picks.. given the depth in this draft that could result in some good players ( or help move up).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Mac Jones sucks. Trask sucks. Lance sucks. Wilson is golden boy but we can't have him. Stafford, Fitz and Minshew might plug a hole but isn't the answer.

I  don't see suck comment on the QBs. Says who or why. Maybe your meaning of suck is different than mine.

You say put the team together than get the QB. I disagree. That doesn't mean your wrong however you have a small window 4/5 years  to make it happen. FA guts your team before it gets started.

Look I'm not saying to draft any QB. If you find a guy you like you pick him, I don't care where he's rated. Can he play, that all that matters.

IMO both Jones and Trask can play.

If Brady wins the Super Bowl.. I wonder how much pressure BB will put on himself to win now and match with one of his own before Brady retires.. I think going for a quick fix would likely not result in a super bowl and set the franchise further back long term.. but interesting to see how he reacts. 

With that said I doubt TB can stop KC .. their offense just looks unstoppable unless one of Mahomes/Hill/Kelce get injured. Going to be really interesting to see if they can match the Patriots level of dominance this next decade.

With that said.. 49ers / Broncos / Saints have too good of an offense to not grab one of these elite QBs and make a run next couple years.  

Edited by Crimmage

4 hours ago, Dan33185 said:

A long shot, but still worth a mention

Cross the Saints and Steelers off that list since there's no way they can afford him. The Raiders are likely about to extend Carr. I think if Rodgers goes anywhere, it'll be here or Indy. The Packers won't trade him within the conference. 

16 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I get this logic of doing things, but I just think it's easier to trade up from #15 then it is 20s-30s. 

I'd be okay with Brissett or Fitz as a stopgap under the condition that we draft a QB high within the next two drafts.

37 minutes ago, ToonPatriot said:

I get this logic of doing things, but I just think it's easier to trade up from #15 then it is 20s-30s. 

I'd be okay with Brissett or Fitz as a stopgap under the condition that we draft a QB high within the next two drafts.

Yeah I guess the way I suggested would be torpedoed if we are better next season. 15th might be the lowest we get under BB

• Like 1