The Pats QB situation

Apparition

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Guys, our QBs are going to be Cam Newton, Jarett Stidham and Trey Lance...😂

Funny thing is I don't think Cam even wants to come back.. he would probably rather go to a team like the Bengals.. play 3-4 games before Burrow comes back and at least have a few weapons to work with. His schedule of sleeping 3 hours a night and still not being able to pick up the "system" .. he was very professional and did his job but he was likely miserable. 

If the Panthers surprise people and take Mac Jones Trey Lance could be there.. but 49ers would probably love Lance so I doubt he gets past them either.

Just now, Crimmage said:

Funny thing is I don't think Cam even wants to come back.. he would probably rather go to a team like the Bengals.. play 3-4 games before Burrow comes back and at least have a few weapons to work with. His schedule of sleeping 3 hours a night and still not being able to pick up the "system" .. he was very professional and did his job but he was likely miserable. 

If the Panthers surprise people and take Mac Jones Trey Lance could be there.. but 49ers would probably love Lance so I doubt he gets past them either.

Is that true about Cam? I wish him well

I get the sense Cam doesn't want to be a backup anywhere. Is very very confident in himself. 

When asked about wanting to come back to NE at the end of the season I believe he gave a generic answer about not wanting to discuss his future instead of stating he wanted to be back. He also mentioned multiple times about it being the hardest season of his career, most sacrifices, put in more effort and didn't sleep, etc. He never specifically said he didn't want to come back, I'm making an assumption there. Especially after Josh simplified the offense so much, it seems unlikely he would want Cam back either. 

Newton could have multiple options this season though.. primarily with Brees / Rivers retiring and lots of teams drafting QBs who could want a guy to be a bridge for a year. 

• Houston: If they make a trade and don't get a young QB like Tua / Darnold.. they may want him to start for a year while a rookie sits
  • Colts: No Rivers, no Stafford, no high draft pick.. maybe all the QBs get taken and they roll the dice on Cam
  • Bengals like I mentioned.. not a full time job all season unless Burrow has a setback but it's still an option
  • Denver.. unlikely but I could see them bringing Cam in with an open competition for the starting job.. I'm not a Drew Lock fan so I wouldn't be surprised if Cam beats him out 
  • 49ers unlikely.. but if they really want to get rid of Jimmy.. maybe they draft a rookie and have Cam be the bridge at a cheaper cost to be able to resign their own guys
  • Washington.. late 1st rounder so hard to draft a top guy.. no QB in place right now.. missed out on Stafford, could go for a QB they know in Newton then draft someone next season?
  • Chicago is a mess.. and late 1st rounder.. what options do they really have outside of resigning Mitch?
  • Saints .. if Winston leaves.. a platoon of Hill & Newton sounds awful to me but maybe Payton thinks he can bring him back to form?

Most of those options seem better to me for him than coming back to New England.. almost all of those teams have better weapons to make him look good .. and a few franchises seem more desperate to give him a better contract than BB offers him. I'll end that in saying I don't want him back under any circumstances.. I don't think he is worth even having as a bridge for a rookie or a backup. 

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Curran a idiot. The only info he gets is from other writers he got to know over the years. They are just like TC have nothing but each other when it come to in depth reporting , if you can even call it that.

Remember his inside source in NY, Manish Mehta. Give me a break. Two fools!

I'll say this about Curran (who I really like and listen to his podcasts. Real funny dude) - he is very very pro Brady and not so pro-Belichick. He'd be ok reporting stuff that didn't paint BB in the best light.

I'm getting tired already of the anti Bill campaign. Stafford just put gas on the flame too

There will be no big block buster move for a QB here. I think they bring back cam on the cheap and MAYBE draft a guy they like in round 1. I see 4 QBs going in the top ten so I kinda doubt that unless BB trades up.

This will be another transitional year 

I'm looking at all these big off season trades as how they effect the draft rather than our ability to get Jimmy G back as i'd prefer to the former. So far I think this blockbuster doesn't really impact much, Lions might not be in for a QB but Panthers still are, with 9ers and now Colts also trade up candidates.

16 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'll say this about Curran (who I really like and listen to his podcasts. Real funny dude) - he is very very pro Brady and not so pro-Belichick. He'd be ok reporting stuff that didn't paint BB in the best light.

I'm getting tired already of the anti Bill campaign. Stafford just put gas on the flame too

Supposing its true, it would have nothing to do with BB would it? It would be because of Patricia.

• Like 1

I'd take Winston. Dude is a baller but had a horrendous season when highlighting the INTs but seeing BA's system I bet he was encouraged to the ultimate gunslinger after every INT.  Still, he threw for 5000 yards and 33 TDs. Reports say SP tried to hide him because they get no money to resign him if Winston played and did well but the reports is that he matured a lot and actually does well under a more conservative O. system.

Btw, I changed my mine. I'm in favor of Big Mac Jones at #15 if he's available. Actually, I'm all for young QBs. Veterans wont work here. Let's rebuild.

2 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

I'd take Winston. Dude is a baller but had a horrendous season when highlighting the INTs but seeing BA's system I bet he was encouraged to the ultimate gunslinger after every INT.  Still, he threw for 5000 yards and 33 TDs. Reports say SP tried to hide him because they get no money to resign him if Winston played and did well but the reports is that he matured a lot and actually does well under a more conservative O. system.

Btw, I changed my mine. I'm in favor of Big Mac Jones at #15 if he's available. Actually, I'm all for young QBs. Veterans wont work here. Let's rebuild.

There's zero chance Belichick would bring Winston here. 

Edited by Starless