The Pats QB situation

Apparition

13 minutes ago, m haynes said:

If this is true I will scream for BB head. I don't give a crap what he's done in the past. Cam Newton was putrid. He can't play QB and for BB to go with him again, its a slap in every Pats fans face!!!!!!!

I just called my doctor. My blood pressure just went through the roof!!!!!!!

I have dumped the Red Sox. I have dumped the Celtics and if this happens I WILL DUMP THE FRIGGING PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry they aren't going to resign Cam. Stidham will be the Patriots QB next season.

16 minutes ago, m haynes said:

If this is true I will scream for BB head.

I agree, but unfortunately options are extremely limited... none are really great. One of the below players is going to start next season, can any of them get the Pats back in the playoffs? 

• Ryan Fitzpatrick (Free Agency)
  • Jacoby Brisset (Free Agency)
  • Mitch Trubisky (Free Agency)
  • Jimmy Garoppolo (Trade)
  • Mardner Ginshew (Trade)
  • Cam Newton (Free Agency)
  • Mac Jones (Draft)
  • Kyle Trask (Draft)
  • Kellen Mond (Draft)
  • Jarrett Stidham (In House)

There is no obvious solution, the only thing I think we can all agree on is the team double dipping at the position. They need to sign / trade for a veteran and draft a QB this season. Even if they feel Stidham could still develop into something, they can't afford to ignore the position in the draft like they did last season. 

Which of those gets you excited?? Unfortunately the QB situation looks bleak .. I doubt BB is going to trade up in the draft, he's probably going to fall in love with a defensive player at 15 ( Surtain /  Parsons / Collins / etc. ) and draft a developmental guy like Trask / Mond later in the draft. 

From everything I have read, this draft is stacked at the top for QB then drops off HARD. You could see maybe 7 or 8 in the first two rounds.. then it sounds like the drop off is so huge the rest will be 6th rounders or UDFA. Trask / Mond will likely end up being 2nd round picks given the leagues need for QBs. Then you've got Ian Book / Davis Mills / Feleipe Franks / Jamie Newman /etc...and none of those guys seem to have the potential of being a starter at the next level. Trubisky will end up being better than all those 3rd tier guys ( and I'm not even a fan of his). 

I think Stidham is more likely to be cut than start games this season ( outside of for injuries). If BB believed Stidham had a future, why wouldn't he start him that last game against the Jets when the season was over? Is he really going to make a HUGE jump this offseason to be better than Cam was last year? If he couldn't be better than Cam last season what makes you believe he will be good now? 

I was excited for Stidham before last year, I fed into the hype of "Stidham is better than anyone BB could have drafted last year" , "Stidham would have been a 1st round pick last year" , "Stidham declined his last season because his coaching staff were idiots",etc. etc. I'm done with Stidham, he had 2 years to show the coaching staff that he could play and it told us enough when they decided to make Hoyer QB2 at the end of training camp. 

33 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I agree, but unfortunately options are extremely limited... none are really great. One of the below players is going to start next season, can any of them get the Pats back in the playoffs? 

• Mac Jones (Draft)
  • Kyle Trask (Draft)
  • Kellen Mond (Draft)

There is no obvious solution, the only thing I think we can all agree on is the team double dipping at the position. They need to sign / trade for a veteran and draft a QB this season. Even if they feel Stidham could still develop into something, they can't afford to ignore the position in the draft like they did last season. 

Which of those gets you excited?? Unfortunately the QB situation looks bleak .. I doubt BB is going to trade up in the draft, he's probably going to fall in love with a defensive player at 15 ( Surtain /  Parsons / Collins / etc. ) and draft a developmental guy like Trask / Mond later in the draft. 

I would take everyone on that list over CN. BB is not going to piss on my leg and tell me its raining. My rotater cuff is shot and CN is as well. Trust me, I did the same thing, turn DP next time I throw it into the stands.

10 hours ago, Crimmage said:

• Ryan Fitzpatrick (Free Agency) 🤔
  • Jacoby Brisset (Free Agency) 😑
  • Mitch Trubisky (Free Agency) 🤮
  • Jimmy Garoppolo (Trade) 😏
  • Mardner Ginshew (Trade) 😏
  • Cam Newton (Free Agency) 😨
  • Mac Jones (Draft) 😐
  • Kyle Trask (Draft) 🤢
  • Kellen Mond (Draft) 😩
  • Jarrett Stidham (In House) 😱

Nothing excites me. I'd be ok with Jimmy, Gardner or Jones I guess. 

The rest make me feel ill

11 hours ago, Crimmage said:
  • Mac Jones (Draft)
  • Kyle Trask (Draft)
  • Kellen Mond (Draft)

I don't know how anyone can look at this list and still turn their nose up at Jones at #15.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ToonPatriot said:

I don't know how anyone can look at this list and still turn their nose up at Jones at #15.

I don't think its a question about Jones its the 15th pick that bothers some. They see the other players that are available and are not sure he's worth the pick at 15. I'm not one of them but I understand if Surtain, Parsons and Pitts are sitting there as well.

Edited by m haynes

9 hours ago, m haynes said:

I don't think its a question about Jones its the 15th pick that bothers some. They see the other players that are available and are not sure he's worth the pick at 15. I'm not one of them but I understand if Surtain, Parsons and Pitts are sitting there as well.

yeah, some mock drafts still have him going in 2nd round

I just had a thought .  Lets say Jones does fall in the draft. What would you say if the Pats traded their 1st RD pick in 2022 for him.  I figure the Pats pick will be lower in 2022 and they get the pick a year earlier while getting the QB for the future. Yes I know he's not a guarantee success in the future however who is when picking QBs.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I just had a thought .  Lets say Jones does fall in the draft. What would you say if the Pats traded their 1st RD pick in 2022 for him.  I figure the Pats pick will be lower in 2022 and they get the pick a year earlier while getting the QB for the future. Yes I know he's not a guarantee success in the future however who is when picking QBs.

You're saying keep 15 and trade next years 1st for a pick this year to take Jones? I don't think that would be enough, given that a 1st rounder next season is worth a 2nd rounder this year. 

But if you were able to keep 15 and take Jones with a future 1st ( assuming BB wants him) I think you make that deal 100 times out of 100. Next years draft is supposed to be much worse for QB talent, so if you aren't taking a QB at 15 and plan to kick the can down the road a year.. you're going to end up with a prospect who could be worse than Jones. 

For a team to do that I think it would have to be a late 1st rounder.. I don't think it's possible that he falls to 25 or later. One of  Washington / Chicago / Colts / Steelers / New Orleans would likely take him. If BB really loves the kid, you take him at 15 and don't risk trying to trade back into the 1st round for him. 

At that point I just hope he invested a good amount of money into the offense during free agency so Jones has a chance of looking halfway decent. 

59 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

You're saying keep 15 and trade next years 1st for a pick this year to take Jones? I don't think that would be enough, given that a 1st rounder next season is worth a 2nd rounder this year. 

But if you were able to keep 15 and take Jones with a future 1st ( assuming BB wants him) I think you make that deal 100 times out of 100. Next years draft is supposed to be much worse for QB talent, so if you aren't taking a QB at 15 and plan to kick the can down the road a year.. you're going to end up with a prospect who could be worse than Jones. 

For a team to do that I think it would have to be a late 1st rounder.. I don't think it's possible that he falls to 25 or later. One of  Washington / Chicago / Colts / Steelers / New Orleans would likely take him. If BB really loves the kid, you take him at 15 and don't risk trying to trade back into the 1st round for him. 

At that point I just hope he invested a good amount of money into the offense during free agency so Jones has a chance of looking halfway decent. 

Damn forgot about the needy teams. Well back to the drawing board. It would be nice though, lets say its Smith and Jones in the 1st Rd. Maybe Washington stay with Smith ( Taylor Heinicke to 2-year deal. that played well in the playoffs) and they take Waddle. Bears get Wentz. The Pats trade with Bear a 1st 2022 and a 2nd 2021. We get a QB basically for our second (46) RD pick. Next year 1st is a wash. Jones = 1st 2022. If you have to add a 4th.

Edited by m haynes

Yeah, it's certainly tough. If you want an elite player at 15, your options are pretty much going to be WR / LB / CB more than likely. 

The interesting spot will be pick 7. There is a good chance that QB3 will be there at 7 assuming Miami don't trade back with a team looking for a QB. I don't believe Atlanta or Philadelphia go for a QB and Detroit will want to give Goff a year before going back into the draft. 

Would you give up 15+ 2022 1st ( maybe more) to move up from 15 to 7 and grab Fields/Wilson? 

I think that there are only two QBs (maybe three but Fields has only really impressed once) in this draft that are going to be around for the team that drafts them after 3 or 4 years. If the Patriots could trade up and get one of the two then good but other than that, drafting a QB before a late second or third is a waste. Sam Howell,  Kedon Slovis, and Desmond Ridder are all better options next year than anyone other than the top two guys this year.