The Pats QB situation

1st option: Draft. Get someone like Mac Jones, if available.

2nd option: Trade a late rounder for Jimmy G.

3rd option: Get a stop gap QB until the rest of the roster is rebuilt. Someone like Fitzpatrick or Brisset would be good options.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

1st option: Draft. Get someone like Mac Jones, if available.

2nd option: Trade a late rounder for Jimmy G.

3rd option: Get a stop gap QB until the rest of the roster is rebuilt. Someone like Fitzpatrick or Brisset would be good options.

I prefer the 3rd option. But if you can get Jimmy G cheap because they land Watson, why not.

Now that Wentz has gone to the Colts like many expected.. a few teams are going to have really interesting offseasons with regards to QB. 

Teams drafted ahead of the Patriots: 

• Atlanta: Everyone says they can't possibly move on from Ryan.. but people said the same about Wentz. If Wilson/Fields are there, I wouldn't be surprised if they take them.  This could be a good opportunity for the Patriots to get Ryan, but otherwise just another team who will prevent them from getting a top QB in the draft. I would take a QB if I were them
  • Philadelphia: A lot of people are saying they go QB at 6 now, but if that's the case.. why did they draft Hurts?? If that's the case, I think it's likely that 5 QBs are taken before 15. Wilson/Fields are better prospects, they could probably flip Hurts for a second to someone else if they go that route.  Personally I'd ride with Hurts for the year and try to build an offense around him
  • Denver: This team can win now if they had a QB, they have A LOT of weapons on offense.. I'm surprised they didn't make a run at Wentz personally. Are they going to bring in someone like Trubisky or Mariota to compete for the starting role? Or turn to the draft? Or give Lock one more year ( I don't think he will ever be good personally). I would would do everything humanly possible to get a QB. They should be calling Miami daily to try and trade up to get Wilson/Fields
  • San Francisco: They really struck out, huh? Stafford would have been great for them. I don't think they will have an opportunity to trade up for a QB, I would sign Trubisky as a backup for when Jimmy falls apart
  • Minnesota: I can't help but think they could be a surprise team to go after Mac Jones on draft day. They know what Cousins is.. they seem like a team that would want to start Cousins for half the season then switch to a rookie after their bi week. 

Teams drafting after the Patriots: This is where it gets most interesting to me.. they are playoff teams and could give up major hauls to try and upgrade at QB

• Las Vegas: Two seasons in a row with rumors of Gruden trying to upgrade at QB.. I doubt much happens but I think there is a small chance they make a splash and try to trade up for a QB
  • Washington: What are they going to do?? They really have no option other than Heineke or going after a mediocre free agent. Trading up for Mac Jones wouldn't be the worse idea for them
  • Chicago: No chance they bring back Trubisky .. They wanted Wentz and missed out .. they could trade up like they did to get Trubisky .. or they could be in on the trade market for someone ( rumors of them going after Minshew, Wentz, etc.) Chicago has a coach and GM who are likely to get fired next year .. they will trade away the future for a splash to try and keep their job .. I would expect a trade up 
  • New Orleans: Trade up for Mac Jones Candidate .. otherwise they ride with Winston more than likely
  • Pittsburgh:  I think they are just screwed tbo .. they will probably convince themselves that Dwayne Haskins is the future .. when they figure out they've made a terrible mistake they could try to trade up for someone.. but more than likely will reach for Trask I'm thinking

Side note: I hate Mariota and hate that everyone has been talking about Pats trading for him.. he isn't an answer. If you are going to get a bridge guy for one season I would rather have Fitz mentoring a rookie
Edited by Crimmage
1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I would sign Trubisky as a backup

San Fran doesn't need a backup. They already have I think his name Mullins.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

they could try to trade up for someone.. but more than likely will reach for Trask I'm thinking

No trade this year. Someone said there "whole team " are up for FA. Pittsburgh need draft picks, they build through the draft historically.

Forgot I agree,  Trask is the Pick.

Edited by m haynes

I don't think we have a chance to draft a QB at 15. If we really want one I think we have to sell the farm and move up. At some point you are going to need to go get a franchise QB and i don't think we will be picking higher then 15 next year. I could see Bill make a deal with Picks and Gilmore to move up. Also, being Gilmore's final year I don't see him not getting traded honestly.

Gilmore getting traded for a 2nd rounder just makes too much sense. 

I could see a team like Dallas trying to go all in this year with Dak on another franchise tag for instance. 

I think BB would be willing to trade up for Wilson / Fields.. the biggest unlucky part of this season is who you have to trade up with to make that happen. The Jets and Miami are never going to trade a franchise QB to the Patriots. The top 3 guys will likely be gone before the Patriots ever had a chance to grab them 

I would prefer to not trade up. Besides the fact I'm not big on Wilson and Fields, it's been proven statistically that big trade ups like this rarely work. I know everyone groans when he does it, but Belichick consistently trades down because more opportunities to swing the bat = more chances to hit.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, biggie. said:

I would prefer to not trade up. Besides the fact I'm not big on Wilson and Fields, it's been proven statistically that bg trade ups like this rarely work.

I agree for the most part, mainly because this team has so many holes to fill.. I'd actually rather they trade back and try to pick up another 2nd rounder somehow. 

The issue though is who are you going to get to play QB? 

Almost everyone available is a 1-2 year bridge.. but a bridge to what? Stidham? Some 4th round pick this year? Options are really slim unfortunately. 

My ideal QB solution:

Trade for Jimmy Garappolo if SF isn't demanding much; there have been whispers of them wanting to move on and some mocks have them taking a quarterback. He knows the system and his contract makes it very easy to move on from.

If Garappolo would cost too much in a trade, bring back Jacoby Brissett. He has the athleticism that Belichick has shown interest in recently and like Garappolo knows the system.

Sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. Great locker room presence, has shown adaptability to difference offensive systems and helps offset Jimmy's injury risk if he's brought back.

Drafting a quarterback is going to be very tricky. After his performance in the National Championship, Mac Jones may go higher than expected and some team will be enamored with Trey Lance's potential. Personally, I would trade our first rounder and see if we can land Kyle Trask in the second or third rounds.

I know carrying three quarterbacks is frowned upon nowadays, but Brissett/Fitzpatrick would be the perfect competition and it would allow us to redshirt our rookie as we continue the rebuild.

Edited by biggie.
2 hours ago, biggie. said:

it's been proven statistically that big trade ups like this rarely work.

IMO this means nothing. There is to many variables that impact the trades. The biggest is who's making the trade. Is it someone like the Washington owner that has no clue but tell his GM make it happen or is it the Browns that had incompetent  management for years.  Basically most of the people trading up are desperate fools. 

I pretty sure if BB did trade up he would know what he doing and I don't see him as a desperate fool.

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

Trade for Jimmy Garappolo if SF isn't demanding much; there have been whispers of them wanting to move on and some mocks have them taking a quarterback. He knows the system and his contract makes it very easy to move on from.

No way to Jimmy. Niners want to move on why, because he's as fragile as glass and his leg strength is gone and he now has little arm strength. He loops 20 yard passes!!!  I will not give up picks or cash for a guy that won't get you to the playoffs. AFC north is now owned by the Bill and Phins.  I would rather have Brissett and use him like Cam with better passing ability.

Personally, I would trade our first rounder and see if we can land Kyle Trask in the second or third rounds.

We can only wish if Trask makes it to 46 pick. However I don't see him getting pass Pitt ( Berger retires) Wasington, Chicago, and  NO. Also there could be a trade in the late 1st to get him.5 year thing.

I know carrying three quarterbacks is frowned upon nowadays,

You are right you should stop there.  You are now using a roster spot and cash. I don't see any benefit doing that. You carry two only. If #1 goes down the rookie goes in and the Pats protect him with there offensive plans/ schemes. Just like they did with Brissett.when he was a rookie and beat the Texans. The way the schemed when Brady was a rookie. RUN RUN RUN.  😁

Lastly If they do trade down and can get Trask that would be awesome.  You come out of the draft with Coliins, Terence Marshall and Trask. 

Chicago / Philadelphia trade up for a QB.. doesn't work

Kansas City / Buffalo trade up.. get franchise QB's for the next decade. 

Tough to know,  overall I'm pretty confident in BB's ability to draft QBs. If you look at every GM's track record of drafting QB's it isn't going to be great.. it's an incredibly hard position to draft. 

• 2000, 6th Round Tom Brady -> Hall of Famer
  • 2002 4th Round, Rohan Davey -> Didn't work
  • 2003 6th Round, Kliff Kingsbury -> Not great player but has a coaching career so BB was able to see that in a 6th rounder which is more than most can say
  • 2005 7th round, Matt Cassel -> Great pick, starter for multiple teams.. long career, what more can you ask for from a 7th rounder? 
  • 2008 3rd round, Kevin O' Connell -> Similar to Kingsbury.. didn't work out as a player but was able to identify a great football mind .. still a bust for a higher draft pick though
  • 2010 7th round Zac Robinson -> I honestly don't remember anything about him
  • 2011 3rd round Ryan Mallet -> He had the tools and I feel like BB only drafted him because he was a 1st round talent and fell so far in the draft so it was worth the gamble.. 
  • 2014 Round 2, Jimmy Garoppolo -> Even with all of his injuries.. this is a win. With the rate of failures in the 1st 3 rounds for QBs, you get a quality starter you are doing well. I think we could all agree this is the first time BB was really trying to find Brady's replacement too. I can't remember everyone in this draft but I think BB picked the best QB available in the draft
  • 2016 Round 3, Jacoby Brisset -> You can knock him for not picking Dak .. but in the 3rd round you picked a guy who started for a team a couple years and is going to be a backup in this league for a long time. In the 3rd round, that's a win  
  • 2018 7th round, Danny Etling -> Nothing
  • 2019 4th round: Jarrett Stidham -> The most unfortunate pick on the list .. pretty much everyone he has drafted either had an incredibly football IQ so he could see their potential.. or had all the tools in the world but fell for other reasons. Stidham is falling the way of Ryan Mallet it looks like

Put that up against any other GM in the league, taking into account how late a majority of the QBs are being drafted .. and I can almost guarantee nobody has a better track record. With that said, I trust that if he is drafting a QB in the first two rounds they are going to be good or he won't take a QB even if he needs one ( look at last season with Love). 

16 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Lastly If they do trade down and can get Trask that would be awesome.  You come out of the draft with Coliins, Terence Marshall and Trask. 

If it is between taking Jones at 15 or trading back to take Trask, I find it highly unlikely BB would take Trask. 

He has an open book from Saban about Jones, he will have a huge leg up over any other coach to continue his development at the next level. I don't think BB has any connection with Trask's coach. 

If BB does trade back, I would assume it is likely with a team that is trading up for Jones too .. I can see why someone would like a trade of 15+ 3rd for 25+46 or something but it just seems so unlikely that BB would pick Trask over Jones. Now if Carolina takes Mac at 8.. maybe they try to trade back at that point.. but I think it's pretty likely Jones will be there at 15.  

On 2/18/2021 at 3:41 PM, Crimmage said:

San Francisco: They really struck out, huh? Stafford would have been great for them. I don't think they will have an opportunity to trade up for a QB, I would sign Trubisky as a backup for when Jimmy falls apart

Have to step to the plate to strike out. According to breer, they were never in on Stafford. Frustrating, I really wanted Stafford, but they seem to be okay with Jimmy. It'll be Jimmy, watson or maybe dak next year. They are only moving off him for an upgrade. 

10 hours ago, Crimmage said:

If it is between taking Jones at 15 or trading back to take Trask, I find it highly unlikely BB would take Trask. 

He has an open book from Saban about Jones, he will have a huge leg up over any other coach to continue his development at the next level. I don't think BB has any connection with Trask's coach. 

If BB does trade back, I would assume it is likely with a team that is trading up for Jones too .. I can see why someone would like a trade of 15+ 3rd for 25+46 or something but it just seems so unlikely that BB would pick Trask over Jones. Now if Carolina takes Mac at 8.. maybe they try to trade back at that point.. but I think it's pretty likely Jones will be there at 15.  

Its just different scenarios concerning movement in the draft.

My ideal draft is to get Mac Jones. I don't care how they do it trade up or down. He is the number one target IMO.  I say this because there is no chance the Pats have a shot at Wilson, unless they sell the farm and I 'don;t see them doing that with all the holes on the roster.

Here are two articles I read today.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4822261/charlie-weis-raves-about-mac-jones-as-potential-patriots-qb-of-future

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/is-justin-fields-slipping-down-draft-boards-ahead-of-pro-day/

My concerns about the QBs in the draft are now being discussed in the media. IMO by the time the draft roles around the first 3 QBs off the board will be Lawrence Wilson and Jones.

I'm going to sound like a ego maniac but I been spot on with my concerns with all the QBs in this draft. Boy if I was reading this from another poster I would be saying who is this idiot ! 😁