Jump to content

The Pats QB situation


Recommended Posts

Weis is just making the obvious correlation there that everyone has been making, no real extra insight there. He is accurate and BB/Saban are best friends, so that must be the QB of the future.

 

I agree that Mac Jones is accurate, one of the things I noticed looking back at his games is that he also leads his throws in a way to avoid his receiver getting destroyed by a defender. In lots of the videos people were using this as a knock, that he held up a receiver and didn't go for a bigger play / looked like he didn't have control of his throw. In all honesty I really like that he does that ( assuming it is intentional). The last thing you want to do is get your receiver injured because of your ball placement to get an extra few yards, Brady was great at this. 

 

The part I'm not sure of is if he has the "it" factor Weis mentions to be more than an average starter, was he really the leader on that team or is Saban the driving force of leadership to keep all those superstars focused on the goal of a championship? It factor is super hard to read, especially only playing 17 games in his career.. but I'm not convinced he would be a top 10 QB in the NFL.

The other big area of improvement for him ( other than some off balance throws) is his command of protections at the line. I saw multiple plays with a safety or LB unblocked before the snap and you could tell what was going to happen.. but he snaps the ball and gets destroyed / incomple / int. Unless Saban didn't allow him to make changes at the line.. he should be able to read a defense enough to change protections.

 

Ultimately I think in New England, New Orleans, or Pittsburgh he would have the best chance at a very long career though. 

 

Jones looks off safeties, reads situations quickly, etc. I've all but given up on a trade for the QB I'd want to see given a shot so a QB room of Fitzpatrick, drafted QB, and Stidham seems like the most likely outcome this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing the Pats pundits campaigning for Cam to be brought back I unfortunately will become a Cam hater. I thought last year he got a pass because it's not his fault he sucks nowadays. They had to sign him because Bill couldn't get anyone better with our cap. So for the minimum Cam actually would be actually +EV but problem is that with his legs he can still get some wins and being mediocre is the only thing we(I think) shouldn't want. Either suck with Stidham and lets get a premium pick in the draft or go for a good QB either by draft or FA.

 

Btw, If the GM Bill resigns Cam then I'll lose faith he'll be able to rebuild this team and get us contending before he retires

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Cam, and would really love to be able to root for Cam and have him as our QB for the next 3-4 years.. but he isn't the MVP candidate he was 5 years ago. He just isn't the same guy, you need someone who can throw the ball well at all levels. 

The only way I would even consider being ok with having him back is if they draft Trey Lance. He could be a Brian Hoyer type for him.. but I highly doubt that happens. So I'll take the good PR of him loving the Patritots and BB and hope that he helps them sign some other players this offseason instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait for Mariota to go somewhere else for way too much money .. I'm already sick of every Pats fan I speak to wanting to trade a pick for him right now... only to have to pay him close to 20 million.. when he is incredibly average, I don't see what anyone likes about him.

On top of him having to play offense a very specific way to which he ends up getting hurt, he seems like an awful leader from everything I've read. I remember watching a press conference years ago where Vrabel was trying to talk circles around reporters basically saying Mariota was who he was as a leader and you can't try to make someone vocal or change who they are, etc.

He 100% lacks the IT factor a starting QB needs to be successful. One thing you have to give Cam credit for is that the team will rally behind him and he is a natural leader, this guy isn't.  

 

I'm no longer a believer in Stidham but I would rather have Stidham starting than Mariota at this point.. at least he is younger and lets you spend more money on pieces to put around him. Stidham's downfall will be his INT. If you can't be accurate and avoid major mistakes, BB is never going to trust you. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I can't wait for Mariota to go somewhere else for way too much money .. I'm already sick of every Pats fan I speak to wanting to trade a pick for him right now... only to have to pay him close to 20 million.. when he is incredibly average, I don't see what anyone likes about him.

On top of him having to play offense a very specific way to which he ends up getting hurt, he seems like an awful leader from everything I've read. I remember watching a press conference years ago where Vrabel was trying to talk circles around reporters basically saying Mariota was who he was as a leader and you can't try to make someone vocal or change who they are, etc.

He 100% lacks the IT factor a starting QB needs to be successful. One thing you have to give Cam credit for is that the team will rally behind him and he is a natural leader, this guy isn't.  

 

I'm no longer a believer in Stidham but I would rather have Stidham starting than Mariota at this point.. at least he is younger and lets you spend more money on pieces to put around him. Stidham's downfall will be his INT. If you can't be accurate and avoid major mistakes, BB is never going to trust you. 

 

 

When MM comes up, I think of two things. Watching grass grow and watching paint dry !!! 

How can a NFL QB throw  accurately holding a football like a waiter holding a serving tray. 

Oh I forgot. When someone tries to tell me he's a NFL QB. Don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining!!

Yes I know don't quit your day job!!😁

Edited by m haynes
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Cam has come out recently and said he felt the effects of COVID the entire season. Personally, working in healthcare, I 100% believe it. 

He was the only one out of the hundreds in the NFL. And he was asymptomatic but whatever. Point is that he sucks. Carolina letting him go it should be enough to tell everyone he stinks but when every NFL team passed on him and he had wait a month to get offered the minimum then it's pretty much settled. His 8 TD season just confirms what everyone knows: he sucks as a passer.

Anyways, it's a myth he was playing great before the disease. I wrote about it in the main forum. He had one great game against what was then the worst PASS D in the history of the NFL. He threw 1TD/1INT in the games against Miami and Raiders, averaging ~157 passing yards per game.

So yeh, the only anomaly in his season was the Seahawks game, all the other games before or after COVID looked quite the same. In fact, his lungs/legs should be the taking the most hit after the disease and he looked great rushing with the ball before and after the 'rona. Not sure why the virus focused on his shoulder/arm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Not sure why the virus focused on his shoulder/arm.

You are right it had nothing to do with the virus, or the lack of training camp. These are just excuses. His arm/ shoulder is shot after the major injury. He has no release or feel when throwing. That's why you see some of the throws go straight into the dirt or sail 10 ft over a WRs head. 

Best way I can explain it is if you strapped your upper arm to your body and than throw.  You use your body and release from your elbow. I had the same type of injury and I couldn't throw worth a damn after the surgery so I had to hang up the cleats!!😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like nobody is going to trade for him given his playing time incentives. 

If he is cut and the Patriots sign him up for cheap I'll at least feel better about it. I still don't like him though... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok  I'm watching Sports Boston and I just can't believe how stupid Perry and Curran are when it come to Patriots football. Perry was in some mock today representing the Pats he took Gregory Rousseau over Mac Jones. His reason, the Pats will take care of the QB (MM) position before the draft freeing them up to go for other players that fall to them.

Here what drove me nuts he said the Pats need to make a trade to get him before he is released and they should use their 2nd RD pick to get him!!! AUFKMe !!!!! Dumb ***!

Than idiot Curran said that we should stop hoping for Mac Jones just becasue he has QB after his name. He than goes on and said MJ ceiling is Colt McCoy!!!

MM frigging stinks.  Just look at the film. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

 

Edited by m haynes
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Ok  I'm watching Sports Boston and I just can't believe how stupid Perry and Curran are when it come to Patriots football. Perry was in some mock today representing the Pats he took Gregory Rousseau over Mac Jones. His reason, the Pats will take care of the QB (MM) position before the draft freeing them up to go for other players that fall to them.

Here what drove me nuts he said the Pats need to make a trade to get him before he is released and they should use their 2nd RD pick to get him!!! AUFKMe !!!!! Dumb ***!

Than idiot Curran said that we should stop hoping for Mac Jones just becasue he has QB after his name. He than goes on and said MJ ceiling is Colt McCoy!!!

MM frigging stinks.  Just look at the film. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

 

In his defense, he loves Mariota as much as I love Minshew.. but I wouldn't even give a 2nd for Minshew.. he's crazy LOL 

 

I didn't even realize Colt was still in the league.. but Jones is going to 100% be better than him assuming he goes to a good organization. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want nothing to do with Mariota. He is absolutely terrible. Takes forever to process and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Good guy, but dumber than a traffic cone.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 1:18 AM, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Hearing the Pats pundits campaigning for Cam to be brought back I unfortunately will become a Cam hater. I thought last year he got a pass because it's not his fault he sucks nowadays. They had to sign him because Bill couldn't get anyone better with our cap. So for the minimum Cam actually would be actually +EV but problem is that with his legs he can still get some wins and being mediocre is the only thing we(I think) shouldn't want. Either suck with Stidham and lets get a premium pick in the draft or go for a good QB either by draft or FA.

 

Btw, If the GM Bill resigns Cam then I'll lose faith he'll be able to rebuild this team and get us contending before he retires

I'd prefer a rookie, but I'm willing to see what Cam looks like with a better squad overall. Let's give him 2 good wide receivers and see how he goes. Or a good receiving TE. If he still can't produce - he should retire 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...