The Pats QB situation

Apparition

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'd prefer a rookie, but I'm willing to see what Cam looks like with a better squad overall. Let's give him 2 good wide receivers and see how he goes. Or a good receiving TE. If he still can't produce - he should retire 

All you have to do is look at some of his throws, he physically can't throw a football. You can have Rice and Moss and he would still over/under throw them. 

IMO The only reason people want to give him a 2nd chance is becasue he's Cam "Superman" Newton. I will use Pitino famous quote

Superman is not walking through the door.

• Like 1

He was awful on short / quick passes in general.. which has always been a huge part of the Patriots offense. 

I don't have stats in front of me, but from what I recall he was much more accurate on throws longer than 20 yards. Unfortunately, the team really didn't have players built for that kind of offense ( and he missed Byrd plenty deep too, he just seemed better there to me). 

It's interesting how the narrative changes so much as soon as the season ends. During the season, everyone was watching him and saying how he had no chance of coming back. Now all of a sudden people believe he would do well if he had weapons around him. 

The only truly sad thing is the fact that the Patriots lack the trade assets to go after Watson / Wilson /etc. high end QB who could become available this offseason. 

• Like 1

Ok I just spent 3 hrs trying to get a Covid appointment. Good luck with that one.  I need to let off steam so I came up with this scenario.

All the SC Draft experts keep jamming down our throats the the new QB has to have running skills, which is just another way of saying that the QB has limited skills above the shoulders!! Yes, I understand the Wilson and the PM of the world. On the flip side you have Jackson who will never sniff a SB ring.

Forget all that crap. Here's what the Pats should do. Trade all RBs. Than in the draft and take 3/4 QBs.

Kellen Mond,

Jamie Newman

Sam Ehlinger

Ian Book

Put them all on the field at the same time. Spread, motion, lateral, weave and any other gadget play JM can come up with.  When you get them in camp you teach RBs and WRs skills to go along with their passing skills just like you teach Tray Lance how to play QB. !!!!!!!!!! Easy pezzy !!!

Also draft the Army Navy QB in the later RDS. 🤣🤣😁

I think we overrate how fast you have to be to run for first downs when necessary. Mac Jones is not fast by any means but he is certainly quick moving around the pocket. If you have a pass play where you can get a 1st down in 5 yards, I'm confident he is quick enough to make that happen. 

I see people put a lot of emphasis on 40 times to determine how athletic a player is, but in reality.. how often are we really worried about that distance? What I am worried about is if you are quick enough to get that 3-5 yards necessary to get a 1st down and move the chains. 

Mac Jones is projected to have roughly a 4.9 40 time.. Jacoby Brisset is about a 4.9, same with Minshew. Neither of those guys are going to break 20-40 yard runs, but we have seen multiple times that they are quick enough to move the chains. I remember Brisset getting plenty of yards with his feet that Buffalo game he had to start too. Brady was the ultimate example of moving really well in the pocket and I think Jones can get the job done in that regard. 

Options and designed running plays from your QB are nice and all.. but at the end of the day you want to avoid injury from the most important position on the team, so I'm happy to have someone who isn't Lamar Jackson level of athlete.  Being able to extend a play is awesome, don't get me wrong.. but I think we can win a championship with a QB who isn't an elite athlete ;) (Not that I am advocating Mac Jones, I have no idea what I am talking about)

14 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I think we overrate how fast you have to be to run for first downs when necessary. Mac Jones is not fast by any means but he is certainly quick moving around the pocket. If you have a pass play where you can get a 1st down in 5 yards, I'm confident he is quick enough to make that happen. 

Someone like Jimmy is fine

A QB that can move was brought to the forefront when the media anointed the Rams head coach the next boy genius. Green Bay now has the same "Madden game boy" coach.  Matter of fact GB foolishly drafted a complete reach (Love) that fits today's "perfect" QB  You can also lump in L Jackson with that group.

IMO getting a QB for that's type of offense is difficult. You have guys (Jared Goff)  that move can't ( accurately on the run) throw you have guys that throw but can't move. It not everyday you have a Rodgers and Mahomes. 

Take the Rams the coach, he will never be satisfied with his QB. He will keep looking, chasing the next better thing while giving away the house. 

You can't be narrow minded when you look for a QB. Look at the so call QB stars of the draft. Fields and Lance they are so desperate for this type of QB that they forget to ask can he play QB above the shoulders, do they have the skills to read the field IN THE POCKET.  Even Rodger and Mahomes have to play QB in the pocket which they have the skill to do however many such as Field and Lance haven't shown they are capable of doing that with any consistently and I have serious doubt they ever will.

I don't care what physical skills they have. The only thing I care about is can they read the field and get the ball to the right place with accuracy and not turn the ball over. 

The three QB I see in this draft doing that are Lawrence, Wilson and Jones. All with different physical skills however they all can read the (in the pocket) field and get the ball to the right place with accuracy.

That's the QB I want. I don't see any other in the draft that I would waste a high pick on. They only other guy that I would look at is Trask but lower in the draft becasue there are questions concerning his (get the ball to the right place)   arm strength. 

Edited by m haynes

IMO  He's perfect for the Pats if we need stop gap QB. 

Reasons

• Work well with our new offense, heavy running game, play action.
  • No draft capital wasted
  • Can pass the ball
  • Smart will not turn it over.
  • Mentor for Mac Jones. ( notice how I got that in there!)
  • Strong OL to protect him.
  • Most teams will pass on him. Easy sign, cheap.
  • Finally we can put Cam to bed.  Smith will look Brady compared to CN. Pats ran a HS school offense last year and he was the worst QB in the NFL. There's a reason he average 5 throws a game, because he's God awful and the coaches had no faith that he could complete a frigging pass.

Finally  Stop with the lame butt excuses why Cam failed such as no camp, Covid and no weapons. None of theses have nothing to do when he throws a 10 yard pass 5 yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He SUCs

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

IMO  He's perfect for the Pats if we need stop gap QB. 

Reasons

• Work well with our new offense, heavy running game, play action.
  • No draft capital wasted
  • Can pass the ball
  • Smart will not turn it over.
  • Mentor for Mac Jones. ( notice how I got that in there!)
  • Strong OL to protect him.
  • Most teams will pass on him. Easy sign, cheap.
  • Finally we can put Cam to bed.  Smith will look Brady compared to CN. Pats ran a HS school offense last year and he was the worst QB in the NFL. There's a reason he average 5 throws a game, because he's God awful and the coaches had no faith that he could complete a frigging pass.

Finally  Stop with the lame butt excuses why Cam failed such as no camp, Covid and no weapons. None of theses have nothing to do when he throws a 10 yard pass 5 yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He SUCs

Yeah I'd be pro Smith. We should do it

Ok I watching NFL LIve and they are talking about Mel Kiper saying Jones has a little Brady in him!  Dan O brought up a great point and its the 1st time I heard it anywhere.

People say he's good only because he plays on Bama with stars. 

Here's the reply,,

Everyone forgets he was the scout team QB before starting. That means he went up against Alabama  # 1 defense daily.  He also said, they are more competitive and intense than the games!

Bama scout team QBs learn fast to make decision quickly or they will pay the price!

20 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Word is that Alex Smith may want to go to Jacksonville because of Urban Meyer. 

Funny how all of a sudden everyone on the radio wants to talk Minshew. It's not as fun when everyone wants him now haha 

Just remember. "Word" means crap when it comes from Sport Media. Phil Perry wants MM and week later it in the National Headlines. Pats interested in MM!!!

Does that move your boy Mini closer to Foxboro!👍