The Pats QB situation

Apparition

With Carolina out of the picture, I definitely would rule out the most aggressive trade up to 4.

I think you wait until pick 8 for sure and see if you want to make a move there. If you love the QB there 8 at make the trade, if not wait what Denver does. 

If you like a QB after that, maybe a slight trade up to 11 or 12 to prevent Chicago or Washington getting that QB.

If you don't like or love any available QB pick the BPA at 15.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I think you wait until pick 8 for sure and see if you want to make a move there. If you love the QB there 8 at make the trade, if not wait what Denver does. 

Carolina would be fools to not trade down from 8 at this point. They could potentially restock on the picks they just lost or get more value than the picks they just lost for Sam while still getting the same guy they were targeting. Everyone is going to want to get ahead of Den

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Carolina would be fools to not trade down from 8 at this point. They could potentially restock on the picks they just lost or get more value than the picks they just lost for Sam while still getting the same guy they were targeting. Everyone is going to want to get ahead of Den

yep. I think you wait the first 7 picks and see if you want to make a move for the Carolina pick. They definitely will make that pick available. 

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Ayyyupz Just would be more fun to watch.

Strong disagree, Cam brings more of that run threat IMO, which to me is more fun. I think Teddy would be more pocket with unplanned scrambles which would get frustrating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I wouldn't have made this move if I were the Panthers. Too much to give up for a guy who's been as bad as Darnold, and especially in a year when there will be good QB prospects available on day 2. I guess they're banking on Darnold still being young enough that his issues can be fixed.

I can't judge any player that played for the Jets and Adam Gase. It pretty much says that  Jones is going to SF at three and Panthers didn't like Fields and Lance.

Its funny, the so call experts considered them generational talent.  Now we know for sure 4 teams don't think so. Sorry Kiper!!!

35 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I can't judge any player that played for the Jets and Adam Gase. It pretty much says that  Jones is going to SF at three and Panthers didn't like Fields and Lance.

Its funny, the so call experts considered them generational talent.  Now we know for sure 4 teams don't think so. Sorry Kiper!!!

If the Niners take Jones at 3, Santa Clara is gonna burn. I fully expect them to take Fields at 3.

edit: I would be ECSTATIC if Fields fell past the Niners, I just find it very unlikely. The kid profiles like the exact type of QB Shanahan loves.

Edited by Starless

I'm not sure how this would guarantee Jones being drafted at 3. Early reports from the senior bowl were that Carolina loved Mac Jones .. now if they have some kind of insider knowledge that SF was going to take him at 3 I could understand the trade better.. but it's lying season.. they have no idea. You can't assume just because SF was at Jones pro day over Fields that they are going after him. 

The wild card here is Trey Lance.. I could see SF loving the upside and thinking if they spend a year with him they could turn him into a star after Jimmy is traded next offseason. If that were to be the case Fields/Jones could fall to Denver at 9. Then I think you offer to help out Carolina, get back some of the picks they just gave away and jump up to 8 and take Fields. 

What would be really fun is if Denver is dumb enough to trade for Bridgewater and not want a QB in this draft anymore.. then you could see 2 QBs fall to 15.. but that's way too optimistic. I'm sure at that point Washington/Chicago/ etc. would be trading up in front of the Patriots to get a QB. 

I don't think you can stand pat at 15 no matter what if you want a QB.. if you love one of these guys you need to jump up a couple spots just to make sure a team in the 20's doesn't pay up and get a pick right in front of you. I'm incredibly curious as to what BB/Josh could do with Fields/Lance though.. after 2 seasons of Cam they could really fall in love with one of them. I'm all for trading up and making it happen

Edited by Crimmage

This confirms what the geeks have been saying:  Carolina isn't drafting a QB.

The Panthers paid too much but, aside from that, this gives them a backup to the oft-injured Bridgewater (who must do much better with Chris McCaffrey in 2021 than without him for most of 2020).  We can hope that Matt Rhule and Teddy can provide a better training environment than The Big Apple.  We expect that among the WRs Carolina drafts will be at least one track star decoy.

For the Jets it simplifies.  Yes, they are taking Zach Wilson and, no, they do not want the dreaded QB controversy in the nation's largest media center.  Win-Win.

Things with the Patriots remain unchanged.  Configured very much like San Francisco, they'll likely respond in much the same way (as wildly inconsistent as that will be with their past preferences). 

Needless to say, Trey Lance will be available at #9 if Denver wants him.

16 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Strong disagree, Cam brings more of that run threat IMO, which to me is more fun. I think Teddy would be more pocket with unplanned scrambles which would get frustrating. 

If the Patriots are a very limited passing offense again to the point of barely attempting 15 passes a game then I would much rather see Bridgewater who has more consistent pocket awareness and can at least throw the ball far enough to reach the intended pass catcher.

38 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

If the Patriots are a very limited passing offense again to the point of barely attempting 15 passes a game then I would much rather see Bridgewater who has more consistent pocket awareness and can at least throw the ball far enough to reach the intended pass catcher.

you didnt watch enough Teddy in 2020