The Pats QB situation

Apparition

5 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I don't believe any of the smoke that SF is going to take Jones.. I think it's much more likely that they are taking Lance. He's the guy which everyone will feel has the highest ceiling and they may believe with Jimmy there for a year they can get him ready to go. 

I personally think Fields is the best pick for them.. but on the off chance they do go Jones/Lance.. I think it would be in the best interest of the team to give up next years 1st / 2nd with this years 3rd or w/e combination necessary to jump up and get him. He's been dragged through the mud more than any of the other top 5 guys and it has honestly just made me research him more and like him more than I ever did before. 

I wouldn't be surprised if NE / Denver / some other teams are bad mouthing him just praying that he drops far enough for them to get him. SF aren't stupid.. they aren't going to believe that stuff. Isn't he doing another pro day just for SF to have an opportunity to see him in person? If they asked him to do that ( can a team do that?) it sure seems like they are seriously considering him with the pick. 

Yeah I agree. I can't see them giving up all this for Jones. It would be ridiculous. The 49er fans are saying how arrogant Kyle is though, so it could happen.

I still stand by my prediction - we aren't moving up. If anything, we're moving back

Agreed, I think it's totally possible that Jones is there for them at 15 though. Fields at 4.. Lance at 9.. then Jones at 15. What will be most interesting is if a team trades right in front of them to take Jones ( or even more trades with them to take Jones).

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:

doesn't seem to make people around him better .. i doubt his teammates like him .. 

What? He makes a bunch of jag WR look like high end players. It's why Jordy Nelson and Randal Cobb flopped elsewhere. Devonte Adams stuck around in GB because of Rodgers. 

Randal Cobb had over 800 yards his first season away from Green Bay, i wouldn't call that a flop ( 3rd most yards of his career). He broke down last season and only played 10 games at age 30. He's a small guy, I wouldn't expect him to be great into his 30's. Nelson was also 33 when he left Green Bay and put up over 700 yards with Oakland.

If you put either of those guys in their prime on teams with above average QBs I'm sure they wouldn't have been jags. I'm sure Brady would have loved to have either of them instead of the Reche Caldwells of the world that he had to work with. Rodgers is very good, but I don't think he's nearly as good as people in the media make him out to be. He's got all the gifts in the world physically.. but I think he lacks the little things which make you a great leaders and someone people want to be around. 

I don't think we have any proof that Adams stayed because of liking Rodgers, he got paid. 4yr 60 million doesn't sound like a lot now for a WR but then i'm sure it was pretty high tier money ( he also hadn't had a 1,000 yard year yet in his career). He's probably going to get 4yr 80m next year when he's a free agent and I would be surprised if GB pays him big money when I think he will be 29 or 30 next year? 

It may be one thing to take a strong position on the Fields-vs-Jones controversy, quite another to assert that it doesn't exist.  Does a QB who almost went at #3 normally survive until 9th, let alone 15th?  

Numerous QB-needy teams will be selling the farm to move up as long as Fields or Jones is available.  Because #32 picks mean comparatively little to such a stacked team, wouldn't you expect New England to lead that charge?

Do Fields fans not expect such an offer if it is their favorite who remains available after #3?

Honestly, after watching more of Davis Mills' film, I feel like I'd rather take him at 46 than trade up for Jones or Lance. 

He reminds me of Matt Ryan. Similar athletic profile, and with strong fundamentals, but some inconsistency that needs to be coached out of him. Both threw to subpar receivers at the college level.

In the right scheme, he can 100% be a star.

Right now my order of preference is

1. Trade up for Fields

2. Jones at 15

3. Mills at 46

4. Lance at 15

5. Trade up for Jones or Lance

Edited by Starless

On 4/7/2021 at 2:28 PM, Starless said:

I'll say it again: Giving up considerable future draft capital for a guy like Jones or Lance would be a big mistake. 

Why is that? You are nothing in today's NFL without a QB. Lance has one of the highest ceilings of all the QB's in this draft.

If they consider Jones or Lance to be their guy, they should absolutely move up if they are able to. Especially when you consider Belichick's age and the money they just threw around in FA.

The chances of hitting on a mid-to-late round QB are slim. The plan cannot be give Cam another year and let's see how it goes. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

7 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Agreed, I think it's totally possible that Jones is there for them at 15 though. Fields at 4.. Lance at 9.. then Jones at 15. What will be most interesting is if a team trades right in front of them to take Jones ( or even more trades with them to take Jones).

Why are people ignoring the reports that San Fran likes Mac Jones at 3? I feel like everyone is just dismissing reports from reputable sources -Daniel Jeremiah for example- because they do not like Jones as a prospect themselves. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Why is that? You are nothing in today's NFL without a QB. Lance has one of the highest ceilings of all the QB's in this draft.

Simple - I don't consider them to be those types of prospects. I don't think Jones has a particularly high ceiling (I've compared it to Kirk Cousins and I stand by that) and Lance is VERY raw. In a normal year these are guys you take at the back end of the first round. And I'm just wondering how it makes sense to fork over future first round picks to take either of them when 1. they're almost certain to sit for a year behind Cam; and 2. any guy with a day 2 grade on him will likely be just as ready to start in that same span. Mills has a higher ceiling than Cousins and is more pro-ready than Lance. I just don't see the sense in mortgaging the future for either guy. 

20 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Reported yesterday that Carolina are looking at BPA at 8 now. Hope that's true