The Pats QB situation

Apparition

15 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Numerous QB-needy teams will be selling the farm to move up as long as Fields or Jones is available.  Because #32 picks mean comparatively little to such a stacked team, wouldn't you expect New England to lead that charge?

Yeah, it may be a battle. I argue Denver are in a better position, but we are probably second. We have the second most draft picks out of everyone, and hold a spot ideal for Atlanta to pick up a pass rusher or maybe even Parsons still. We are in front of Washington and Chicago.

I consider Denver to be pivotal here. 

But then this could all be moot because it's BB. Maybe he's already arranged trading the 15th pick to the back of the first to pick up a versatile DB...

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 12:46 PM, 1ForTheThumb said:

Why are people ignoring the reports that San Fran likes Mac Jones at 3? I feel like everyone is just dismissing reports from reputable sources -Daniel Jeremiah for example- because they do not like Jones as a prospect themselves. 

Mainly because it's a lot of opinion based speculation. Nobody knows anything. Breer and Ian have both said the niners haven't even told the team / staff yet. The only two people that know are Lynch and shanny, and maybe peters. This hasn't been a leaking organization since lynch arrived and it was actually a condition of his taking a job. 

Dan patricks sources for Mac being a lock were two people from other qb needy teams. Matt miller's was a former niner employee  MMs is from three external scouts, chris simms' opinion, and Mike tannenbaums opinion. How in the world do they know? It's been a lot of stuff like that. It's like everyone just decided that Mac was the guy based on his similarity to previous Kyle QBs and the fact that they may have been interested in him at 12. 

You're already starting to see media peel back from the narrative. Robert mays was first. Tony Pauline two days ago said to hold off on the Mac Jones talk. Ian pulled back yesterday saying that Kyle said they'd consider him, but he didn't know if they would actually do it. Mike silver said that he's got a contingent that believes it's fields. Peter King and albert breer have been non committal. 

It's all just your typical fluff stuff. I wouldn't give much credence to anything until there's about a week to go, then I'd pay attention to breer, king and Ian, as they have the best pulse of the niners during this regime. Jones could be the pick, but the reports are largely crap 

• Like 2

On 4/8/2021 at 12:59 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

The 49er fans are saying how arrogant Kyle is though, so it could happen.

Dude wants to play qb.

I also wonder if there's an ego issue. Like, is he the type that is willing to allow the qb to take some of the coach's spotlight? Because really, he's the one that gets all the praise now, you know? Not saying for sure it's a real thing, but coaches can be arrogant and egotistical, so I won't rule it out.

I still think the pick is Lance or fields, but yeah, wouldn't shock me in the least of Kyle pulled that. 

• Like 2

Seriously hoping SF is stupid enough to take Jones at 3, thus opening the door for us to trade up to 4 to get Fields.

ATL taking a QB at 4 is a smokescreen imo; they desperately want to trade down. Ryan's dead cap in 2022 is $40m and I don't think they want a top 5 pick sitting on the bench for 2 years.

yeah, I think the ATL pick ultimately gets traded.

I think they are trying to drive up the price. I would pick Pitts if they stay there but I don't see it happening. Traded or they pick a QB imo but I think it gets traded.

I don't see the Patriots moving up all the way to 4 but if Belichick LOVES 1 QB and he is there at 4 he should do it.

If we LOVE Justin Fields and he is there at 4, trade 2 additional first round picks and 15, I don't really care. 

If you think he can be an elite QB in the NFL that's worth a whole lot more.

Most likely to me is that SF picks Jones, Denver goes up to 4 to get Fields, the Patriots don't move and pick up the BPA. But I do think BB makes a significant offer for the 4th pick if he right QB is available. He is coaching 4-5 more years and I don't think there will ever be a better chance to get a difference maker at QB

On 4/12/2021 at 11:59 PM, Forge said:

Sounds like you guys are the only other team coming along to the Justin Fields pro day. Haven't heard about you guys coming to the additional Trey Lance pro day. 

With being the 4th or 5th most accurate QB, he'd be the one I think we'd be ruling out. 

Having said that we extended Cam...so...maybe we don't covet accuracy anymore 

On 4/17/2021 at 3:52 AM, DoleINGout said:

I think I will reiterate my stance that the Patriots trade up in hopes of getting Fields or if gone then Trey Lance. How? Multiple firsts, a second perhaps, and JC Jackson?

I sound like a broken record, but I would try and trade up, I don't think the actual Patriots will though.

Bill in an interview the other day said something along the lines of ruling players out because we are out of reach at 15. It could be nothing, but he wasn't sounding at all ambitious of moving down. I think we're picking at 15 or trading back

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I sound like a broken record, but I would try and trade up, I don't think the actual Patriots will though.

Bill in an interview the other day said something along the lines of ruling players out because we are out of reach at 15. It could be nothing, but he wasn't sounding at all ambitious of moving down. I think we're picking at 15 or trading back

Pats don't have to trade up because 15 is the sweet spot this year but to get Fields or Lance who I think they want at QB then it requires a trade up.

Do I want them to trade up for Fields...No,but I understand. To trade up for Lance is nuts. They are basically the same type of QBs however Fields resume and experience is miles ahead of Lance.  

We are talking MIT to Bunkerhill college !!!

Now if Fields does go pick three,  my question is again, why trade up for Lance and risk a ton of draft capital and the teams future.  One word, desperate!!!

Why would anyone risk the teams future based on a limited college career 17 games who average 18 throws a game.

The only reason is in the meaning "risk". All the Mel Kiper's have NONE, so heck ya Lance all the way. However the dumb GM's, they get fired.

Wait that not true some idiots GM get to stay year after year running a franchise into the ground.

ADDED Everyone uses Josh Allen as a example how Lance can do the same however they conveniently leave off it took Bills like 20+ years and several QBs to get it right. I guess, throw it against the wall works

Manual, Loseman and others.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jofos said:

Is it worth it to trade up for the 4th or 5th best player at their position?

flawed argument. Russel Wilson was the 6th best player at his position in 2012. If you think this is the guy, you go after where you think he will go.