The Pats QB situation

Apparition

3 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I heard a clip from Schefter that sounded like he was pretty sure Mac was going to be the pick. Him and DJ are pretty reputable sources; hard to find two reporters more tied in those two. Maybe they've backtracked on those statements recently (I haven't been that tied in the last week or so because I was on vacation).

Point being, I feel like Jones is being dismissed as a large possibility of being the pick because the "draft community" own evaluation of him. None of that matters at the end of the day.

I'm not dismissing reports from Schefty and Daniel Jeremiah as crap. You can't dismiss those reports and then call CrapSheet a reputable source lol

Now according to Schefty they "like all three". Not all that shocking to see him (and the others) backtracking. The 9ers aren't typically a leaking team under this regime and pretty much everyone agrees that they aren't telling anyone and haven't revealed any information. This is very similar to the 2018 draft where Dorsey just didn't tell anyone it was Baker and nobody had any real clue until a couple of days before the draft. The sources that were given for the "reports" were mostly bad for Mac Jones. 

One thing to note is that the backtracking largely started occurring after the Jets traded Darnold, which would make some sense if there was a legit concern about the Jets sticking with him.  Nobody should remove Mac from the equation, because Shanny is that dude, but at this point it really is anyone's guess and the reports from weeks ago just weren't good. Mac could easily be the pick (33% chance at any rate), but all the guys acting like they know or have it on good authority that they knew it was going to be Mac? Yeah, that's likely not a thing. I've mostly thought it would be Lance / Fields, but have refused to remove Mac from the possibility. He could be the pick for sure. Id be surprised, but not shocked, if that makes sense. I just think the reports were crap

One thing that has changed for me is that I thought that they made the trade up with a guy in mind, however I'm starting to think that actually was not the case. They are really putting these guys through their paces and basically holding open auditions for the selection, so I think that they may lean one way, but I don't think that they have actually made a choice, which is super fascinating. 

Its also interesting to see how the beliefs are broken up.  National guys think it's Mac. The 49er beat writers almost exclusively think it's Lance. And then everyone else (lower level bloggers and then media guys) thinks its Fields. It's crazy interesting. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Now according to Schefty they "like all three". Not all that shocking to see him (and the others) backtracking. The 9ers aren't typically a leaking team under this regime and pretty much everyone agrees that they aren't telling anyone and haven't revealed any information. This is very similar to the 2018 draft where Dorsey just didn't tell anyone it was Baker and nobody had any real clue until a couple of days before the draft. The sources that were given for the "reports" were mostly bad for Mac Jones. 

One thing to note is that the backtracking largely started occurring after the Jets traded Darnold, which would make some sense if there was a legit concern about the Jets sticking with him.  Nobody should remove Mac from the equation, because Shanny is that dude, but at this point it really is anyone's guess and the reports from weeks ago just weren't good. Mac could easily be the pick (33% chance at any rate), but all the guys acting like they know or have it on good authority that they knew it was going to be Mac? Yeah, that's likely not a thing. I've mostly thought it would be Lance / Fields, but have refused to remove Mac from the possibility. He could be the pick for sure. Id be surprised, but not shocked, if that makes sense. I just think the reports were crap

One thing that has changed for me is that I thought that they made the trade up with a guy in mind, however I'm starting to think that actually was not the case. They are really putting these guys through their paces and basically holding open auditions for the selection, so I think that they may lean one way, but I don't think that they have actually made a choice, which is super fascinating. 

Its also interesting to see how the beliefs are broken up.  National guys think it's Mac. The 49er beat writers almost exclusively think it's Lance. And then everyone else (lower level bloggers and then media guys) thinks its Fields. It's crazy interesting. 

If it hasn't already, I fully expect the hype to come back around to Fields. If we were doing mocks just a month and a half ago, Fields is everyone's QB2. It's been Lawrence and Fields essentially all their playing lives. I'm kind of expecting that to show through on draft night to be honest, either 2nd or 3rd pick. 

It's lying season in full swing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If it hasn't already, I fully expect the hype to come back around to Fields. If we were doing mocks just a month and a half ago, Fields is everyone's QB2. It's been Lawrence and Fields essentially all their playing lives. I'm kind of expecting that to show through on draft night to be honest, either 2nd or 3rd pick. 

It's lying season in full swing. 

There was a big time swing right after his pro day, but I felt like it died pretty quickly (could be due to the Lance pro day being so closely behind). Lots of conspiracy theory type stuff going on. There are a lot of dots that connect the 49ers to each of them. I'll give them credit for making the top of the draft fun. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

There was a big time swing right after his pro day, but I felt like it died pretty quickly (could be due to the Lance pro day being so closely behind). Lots of conspiracy theory type stuff going on. There are a lot of dots that connect the 49ers to each of them. I'll give them credit for making the top of the draft fun. 

Yeah, lol.

I usually think of SF as water tight in these situations, and perhaps it hasn't actually come from the club. Either way, it's intriguing 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

If they like Love, why didn't they draft him last year? 

Seems like a confusing move to trade for him now.. especially given that he didn't play at all last season.. what could you have seen to make him not worth trading for? 

I think Pat Mac is right total BS.  I would fire BB if he made that trade. GB loses any leverage if they try to move Love. I read he didn't even dress. You give up the 15th pick, FFFFFFFIIIIIIRRRRRREEEEEEDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no way in heck they get a 1/2 for him.

I would rather trade for Lance and give up a additional 1st in 2022!!!!👀

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 3

What a terrible outcome...

Could have drafted him, we wait until he starts proving that perhaps he isn't the next A-Rod and is in fact currently 3rd string, then give up some of our own resources/capital to THEN get him?

I'm insulted that Bill's intelligence is being insulted so bad.

A few months ago I would have agreed with you regarding Trask.. he's a pocket passer who could do well if you give him a great OL... but them bringing back Cam really makes me think differently. I also think BB still believes if he creates the best OL in the league, he can win with any "average" QB. 

As a bridge guy, I would want Cam to be a mentor to the young QB .. spend time with him for a year and then he can take over year 2 assuming he has the ability to do so. I honestly believe this is what was expected from Stidham .. to be a Brady sponge for a year but I don't believe Brady had any interest in helping him at that point.. he just wanted to finish the year and get out of town. Throwing money at Alex Smith to not retire would have been the play if they really wanted a pocket passer. 

Cam on the other hand seems to love it here and genuinely be appreciative of BB for the opportunity to continue playing when literally nobody else in the league has wanted him. He seems more than willing to mentor a young QB and try to get a couple more years in the league ( this year as a starter and next year maybe brought back as a backup). 

I think he is planning on drafting a guy like Cam.. because Cam is going to be best at mentoring a QB to fit his mold best. He has no chance of helping Trask be better at his game. 

To me this is the group of QB's the Patriots will be looking at most: 

• 1st round trade up - Fields ( already been mentored by Cam since high school) 
  • 1st round trade up - Lance 
  • 2nd round - Mond
  • 3rd/4th round - Newman 

I'm also not against double dipping at QB if they have multiple guys who they feel could develop into something, this is assuming they don't grab a guy in the first round. If you're able to get Mond in the 2nd then Newman in the 4th I'm totally fine with that. Let them fight it out with Stidham ( who most people at this point assume will be cut the end of training camp). 

Edited by Crimmage

5 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

As it stands, with the worst starting QB situation in the league perhaos outside the Bears, any of the QB's are in play for the Patriots.

I really have come around to the idea o Sam Ehlinger in the third as a value pick. I could see 7 QB's go in the first.

I was really hoping we'd grab Ehlinger for a long time, but man his pro day was bad. Like multiple wobbly-off target passes bad.

34 minutes ago, Vachon777 said:

I was really hoping we'd grab Ehlinger for a long time, but man his pro day was bad. Like multiple wobbly-off target passes bad.

He's a great guy to bring in as an UDFA / practice squad guy .. but I highly doubt he ever turns into anything