The Pats QB situation

Apparition

6 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

If they draft Kyle Trask @ 15 that’s a fire able offense.

Yeah at 15 it is... panic and poor value. But... it's the Patriots draft tendency to make some bad decisions early.

I think Trask has a chance at the end of the first perhaps for some desperate team so if the Pats want him to be their guy later in the first after taking someone or trading down from 15 beforehand, then I wouldn't be totally down on it based on my low expectations of the teams evaluation process in the past.

I do think Fields is a target in a trade up but if they can't get that or he is off the board along with Lance and obviously Lawrence and Wilson then that is when pretty much every QB is on the table.

14 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I'm also not against double dipping at QB if they have multiple guys who they feel could develop into something, this is assuming they don't grab a guy in the first round. If you're able to get Mond in the 2nd then Newman in the 4th I'm totally fine with that. Let them fight it out with Stidham ( who most people at this point assume will be cut the end of training camp). 

I am pro this.

Ehlinger would be OK if everything was in place and he could just be a game manager. Good leader, sometimes has a rocket. I think he'll be a backup somewhere most of his career

Trask better, but in the first? I'd have a real tantrum...

Happy to grab him in 2nd though

Edited by Hunter2_1

From the Boston Herald, notice a trend in their QB's? To me there is a trend towards mobility in all except Ryan Mallett. Mallett was lauded for his arm talent akin to Kyle Trask in this years class.

"Draft tidbit

The Patriots have drafted the third most quarterbacks of any NFL team since 2000. 

They’ve drafted 11 overall starting with Brady in 2000. After Brady, it was Rohan Davey(2002), Kliff Kingsbury (2003), Matt Cassel(2005), Kevin O’Connell (2008), Zak Robinson (2010), Ryan Mallett (2011), Jimmy Garoppolo (2014), Jacoby Brissett(2016), Danny Etling (2018) and Jarrett Stidham (2019). 

Of the lot, four have gone on to be NFL starters. We’ll soon see if No. 12 turns into the 5th starter on the list with the Pats expected to once again add on to the quarterback room. 

Only the Jets (13) and Broncos (12) have drafted more quarterbacks than the Patriots since 2000. The 49ers, meanwhile, also have 11."

It won’t surprise me if the Niners make Jimmy Garoppolo more available than he’s been. In other words, instead of trying to get a first-round pick for him, maybe considering taking a two for him. I wonder if the Patriots would deal the 46th pick in the draft, or their second-rounder in 2022, for their old friend.

Bill really can't quit Jimmy G

• Like 1

As far as arm talent, Trask has arguably the best ball placement in the class this year. His velocity is good enough. It's not like Trask has these slow movers like Davis Mills. The biggest knock on Trask is his lack of mobility and athleticism which were the same weaknesses Mallett had. Trask just happens to have his head screwed on and far superior accuracy to Mallett. The comparison between the two is Patriots draft history of QB archetypes.