The Pats QB situation

Apparition

Just now, Crimmage said:

If that's the case I think BB either has to jump over Denver to get Fields.. or Jones falls into his lap at 15

I don't doubt the Pats affinity for Jones in some capacity within the first day or two of the draft. The Patriots make some picks I am not a fan of every single year and overvalue the prospects they select, especially if it is early in the draft or a position of desperate need.

Jones to me if a fine project you can get at the end of the first round for the fifth year option or just wait until the second round to target. I think going after Fields is a better play.

On 12/29/2019 at 2:14 PM, DoleINGout said:

Meh. I’d be happy with Hurts this year or Fields.

2019^

On 3/19/2021 at 10:04 AM, DoleINGout said:

If I had to guess, I would say the Pats ideally want to have a way of trading up for Justin Fields. But I think they are comfortable with taking a QB anywhere inside the first two rounds.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:06 AM, DoleINGout said:

The reason Fields wears #1? It's the number his mentor, Cam Newton, adorns.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:40 AM, DoleINGout said:

If Fields is even available at 4, that is the spot they will jump to if they are indeed intent on getting him as I've speculated since before it was reported.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:54 PM, DoleINGout said:

My bet is Justin Fields is the target in a trade up.

Should Fields be unattainable/taken but the Patriots still trade up, it is for Trey Lance.

If "settling" in the first round at 15, it is Mac Jones if available.

If not available at 15, it is Kyle Trask possibly even in a trade down should a team be willing to move up at that point.

If settling in the in the second round, it is Kellen Mond.

On 3/21/2021 at 1:59 PM, DoleINGout said:

I think Fields is the target in a trade up.

If Fields doesn't make it past Atlanta, or I should say if there is any other QB I think the Pats take at 15 it is Kyle Trask. I doubt he will be gone before Mac Jones or Trey Lance, but if he is, then those two would be next in line I assume should they stay on the QB position in the first two rounds.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:42 AM, DoleINGout said:

If it is a toss up meaning they don't mind Lance or Fields, both are basically the same in their plans and development, then 5, 6, or 7 is in play. If Fields is gone at 4 and they can't trade up for him, then they will probably not push as much to trade up and I expect them to stay where they are and go defense or trade back. In that last scenario I would think Kellen Mond or Kyle Trask at the end of the first or sometime in the first half of the second is where they target one of those QB's.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, DoleINGout said:

I think I will reiterate my stance that the Patriots trade up in hopes of getting Fields or if gone then Trey Lance. How? Multiple firsts, a second perhaps, and JC Jackson?

On 4/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, DoleINGout said:

Pats don't have to trade up because 15 is the sweet spot this year but to get Fields or Lance who I think they want at QB then it requires a trade up.

On 4/25/2021 at 12:03 AM, DoleINGout said:

Yeah at 15 it is... panic and poor value. But... it's the Patriots draft tendency to make some bad decisions early.

I think Trask has a chance at the end of the first perhaps for some desperate team so if the Pats want him to be their guy later in the first after taking someone or trading down from 15 beforehand, then I wouldn't be totally down on it based on my low expectations of the teams evaluation process in the past.

I do think Fields is a target in a trade up but if they can't get that or he is off the board along with Lance and obviously Lawrence and Wilson then that is when pretty much every QB is on the table.

I'm sick of saying Fields.

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Rude

Drastic times, drastic measures. 

My team is about to invest 3 first round picks and a third in to a guy that lacks the arm talent and leg talent of Daniel Jones all because his all world wide receivers get open in faster than 2.5 seconds so all he has to do is point and click a completion lol 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Drastic times, drastic measures. 

My team is about to invest 3 first round picks and a third in to a guy that lacks the arm talent and leg talent of Daniel Jones all because his all world wide receivers get open in faster than 2.5 seconds so all he has to do is point and click a completion lol 

I am preparing myself to be in similar but more fleet shoes. 

• Like 1

A trade up seems likely at this point to me. The rumors are starting and truthfully I think Belichick just wants to do it.

I mean, the guy is 69 and I don't think he wants to play his last few years with Cam, Stidham, Minshew, Mond, Mills or Trask.

If he picks the wrong guy his career is effectively over but it's not like he is going anywhere if he doesn't pick anyone. 

Belichick could start stacking the roster and get a guy like Horn or Collins or Parsons but that will only benefit the next guy. 

Depending what the 49ers do, I think he goes up to 7.