The Pats QB situation

Apparition

Oh I don't plan on getting my hopes up for either a QB or WR. It's become a bit of a joke that Bill will trade back or get a division II safety but history tells us he likes to draft D high.

I guess, if i'm being hopeful, BB has never been in this situation before with such a question mark over our QB situation. He's flirted with Mayfield, possibly even Herbert last year, so who knows.

That is an impressive list of free agent WRs, I wouldn't mind doing a Buffalo and double dipping.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I wouldn't recommend getting excited about any WR in this upcoming draft. You'll likely be very disappointed. I expect the WR position to be addressed via free agency personally. This is a "hopefully" QB first then all defense kind of draft imo 

This team needs a WR1 to help everyone else out on offense .. with a more reliable threat it helps everyone else succeed. 

• Allen Robinson
  • AJ Green
  • TY Hilton
  • Sammy Watkins
  • Marvin Jones
  • Kenny Stills
  • Will Fuller
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • Nelsn Agholor
  • Chris Godwin
  • Kenny Golladay

Now i'm not saying everyone above is a #1 but the receiving group is pretty darn good for a team with lots of cap space. Grab one of those guys and you instantly have a more reliable passing game ( wouldn't put it past BB to try and spite steal Godwin from TB either). 

Chris Godwin / Jacoby Myers / Damiere Byrd / N'Keel Harry / Devin Asiasi ( I still think this kids going to be pretty darn good by next year) .. while that isn't top in the league it's a hell of a lot better than what we have now and Godwin is young enough to help solve the WR troubles for the next 4-5 years

I expect the WR position to be addressed via free agency personally.

Well,  that's your major mistake. You can't use sound logic when it comes to BB draft. I say he drafts 7 WRs!!! No wait , make that a kicker and a safety, only 5 WRs😄😄👍

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think we need at least one of those WRs AND probably a high round pick. I still think if you need to put out all of Byrd, Meyers and Harry into the same front line group, it's one of the weakest in the league. 

Maybe if you bring in a stud FA WR , Bird and Meyers will improve. Than you take Harry to Micky Ds and feed him Big Macs for a month!!!!😁

Having two options would certainly be nice, I just don't believe BB would want to spend big money or draft capital on the WR position. Primarily because I think he's going to redshirt the TE's this year and focus on them more next season. This is all assuming they believe Meyers is the slot of the future.. otherwise I could easily see them trying to draft a new slot receiver. Byrd is a free agent but he seems like he would want to stay given that this will end up being the team that gives him his chance and he puts up yards. With a major threat on the other side of the field I think he could be a reliable #2/#3 tbo. 

RB will also be a reason.. they could go into the draft to grab a receiving RB if White / Burkhead are gone. Harris hasn't shown an ability to be a receiving threat, Sony def isn't, and I don't think Taylor is either. 

I go back and forth when it comes to WR in the 1st Rd. What put me on the fence is watching the Pats and the lack of talent. I see WR as ornaments, I'd rather take care of the (QB,OL,DL,CB,LB) tree, especially in the 1st Rd.

It would have to be a special player for me to pick one in the 1st. The only one I consider special in 2021 draft is Chase. I thought Jefferson was special last year. IMO he was the best in the draft. I also feel that 2nd RDers are just as effective in the passing game.

I also believe you don't need a star. If you have a good group i thinks is more than enough.  Sometimes thou its hard not to look at the pretty ornaments!😁

• Like 1

Assuming we pick in the top 15 there is going to have to be a sure can't miss help us now guy or it will be trade to the mid late 20s and go LB maybe Dylan Moses. In the trade I would think we would likely get an extra 2 round pick and go WR and DL or QB (depending on who is there) for WR I could see a guy like Seth Williams, I'm not sure how well he will do but I think he is the kind of guy Belichick looks for and he might be teh one that actually works outs. For QB Trask and Jones could be there but I am hearing a lot of things about Jones that makes him sound more like a less skilled AJ McCarron. For DL I think a guy like Tyler Shelvin  would be a good fit.

On 11/26/2020 at 12:27 PM, m haynes said:

Maybe if you bring in a stud FA WR , Bird and Meyers will improve. Than you take Harry to Micky Ds and feed him Big Macs for a month!!!!😁

Quite seriously - if Harry gained a decent amount of mass, maybe a transition to TE would better suit his lack of elusiveness.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jofos said:

Let me also add that for some reason I have looking at Desmond Ridder a lot here lately. He does a lot of things well and he is a guy that seems easy to cheer for. 

He does have skill however he needs a lot of work. Mechanic a big issue. You also have to wonder if he can read the field which he doesn't show in the (games) I watched. My concern with any QB is reading the field when they play lower level competition. This is a red flag, how will they compete when they play the big boys.

EX Wilson and Lance. Wilson shows he can read the field and Lance forget it.  Big red flag for Lance,  42 TD,  0 interceptions. 1st question, Who he playing against, 6th graders. Those (inflated) numbers reflect the (history)  OSU QBs !

11 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Quite seriously - if Harry gained a decent amount of mass, maybe a transition to TE would better suit his lack of elusiveness.

I thought the same thing however there are concerns. He's 225 lbs he would need to add at least 10/15 lbs. What would happen to is speed/quickness its bad at 225. Also IMO his blocking leave a lot to be desired. He does his (half butt) assignment however make no effort to go beyond that.

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

He does have skill however he needs a lot of work. Mechanic a big issue. You also have to wonder if he can read the field which he doesn't show in the (games) I watched. My concern with any QB is reading the field when they play lower level competition. This is a red flag, how will they compete when they play the big boys.

EX Wilson and Lance. Wilson shows he can read the field and Lance forget it.  Big red flag for Lance,  42 TD,  0 interceptions. 1st question, Who he playing against, 6th graders. Those (inflated) numbers reflect the (history)  OSU QBs !

OH yeah I am certainly not thinking he is anything that could help any time soon. I just thought he looks interesting and has a good skill set. I do hate some of the arm slots he throws from however.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

I thought the same thing however there are concerns. He's 225 lbs he would need to add at least 10/15 lbs. What would happen to is speed/quickness its bad at 225. Also IMO his blocking leave a lot to be desired. He does his (half butt) assignment however make no effort to go beyond that.

I thought the same thing for awhile .. but I also worry about his concussions.. I honestly think he will end up retiring after his rookie contract after getting another concussion this year or next. He had multiple in college and they just happen more and more often once you get them. 

The peak potential for him (assuming he doesn't retire) is that WR we got from Carolina a few years ago... can't remember his name but he was pretty forgettable, big possession guy and that's about it. 

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I thought the same thing for awhile .. but I also worry about his concussions.. I honestly think he will end up retiring after his rookie contract after getting another concussion this year or next. He had multiple in college and they just happen more and more often once you get them. 

The peak potential for him (assuming he doesn't retire) is that WR we got from Carolina a few years ago... can't remember his name but he was pretty forgettable, big possession guy and that's about it. 

My guess Brandon LaFell,------ if not Donald Hayed or Sunu

Ps I cheated and looked it up!:D

Edited by m haynes