Are all NFC West teams top 12 teams right now? (NFC West Discussion)

UncleAdamz

Here's how I see it -

Teams Obviously better than at least one NFC West Team - 

Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Packers, Buccaneers, Titans

Teams in question - 

Bears, Saints, Bills, Browns, Colts

Assuming that San Francisco is the worst team as of right now in the NFC West, to have all 4 teams be top 12 you need to have San Francisco ranked above at least 3 of the teams in question. I would put them above both the Colts and Bears, and then probably above the Browns. 

However, that could very quickly change with their upcoming schedule, as it gets tough for them. If they can't put things together they could be knocked out of the playoff race.

Also, to have all 4 NFC West teams make the playoffs, all three teams would need to finish with better records than the Saints/Bucs and Bears. (Or win in tiebreaker)

Thoughts?

Edited by UncleAdamz

Then comes the best division in football, the NFC West. The Los Angeles Rams are up to seventh this week, the San Francisco 49ers are up to eighth, and the Seattle Seahawks drop to ninth. Arizona is now 11th, with Green Bay in between. That's all four NFC West teams in the top 11.

There's a lot of interest in whether the entire NFC West can make the playoffs. The biggest barrier is going to be the New Orleans Saints, and either the Bucs or the Saints end up with a wild card in roughly two-thirds of our simulations. The entire NFC West makes the playoffs in only 4.8% of our simulations. Other possibilities:

Entire NFC West has a winning record: 38.4%

Entire NFC East has a losing record: 63.1%

Entire NFC East is 6-9-1 or worse: 26.4%

Entire NFC East is 5-10-1 or worse: 3.8%

Entire NFC West has a winning record and entire NFC East has a losing record: 25.9%

A quick digression on the NFC East: Washington now has the best DVOA in the NFC East at No. 21 after a 25-3 spanking of Dallas. San Francisco and Washington got big ratings for their wins over New England and Dallas, respectively, but their positive ratings weren't as strong as the negative ratings for the losing teams. New England's loss to San Francisco is now rated as the worst single game of the year (-106.9%) and Dallas' loss to Washington is rated as the second-worst game (-102.8%), with both games surpassing Cleveland's huge losses to Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Returning to the NFC West: Not only is the entire division in the top 11 overall, but the entire division is in the top 11 for offense specifically. And three of the four teams are in the top 11 on defense as well. Seattle is the clear exception, second in offense and 28th in defense.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2020/week-7-dvoa-ratings

At least according to DVOA, the answer is yes. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Ill say yes. If the Niners are the worst team in the division and they are (4-3) and they are crippled with injuries thats scary. You have a complete team in the Rams. They are a top 4 defense, and top 10 offense. The Seahawks and Cards have two MVP caliber QBs this year in Wilson and Murray so they will always give their teams great chances to win against any team and the Niners have Shanny so you can put me out there and I think I can be productive in the offense. On defense they still have some pieces to cause trouble for teams. Yes the NFC East is terrible but Ill continue to say that everyone knew the NFC West was going to be playing the NFC East and the AFC East. Everybody knew the Jets, Dolphins, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, and Washington was going to play the NFC West division but its how the NFC West teams are making those teams look. Its one thing to win, its another thing to embarrass the competition.

The Niners embarrassed the Jets with backups, The Rams just embarrassed with Bears on national tv. The Cards a week before just embarrassed the Cowboys. The only blemish is the Niners losing to the Eagles and getting embarrassed themselves by the Dolphins. They since then beat the Rams and then made the Belichick coached team look like the Jets in New England. It was so bad Belichick benched Cam who is a former MVP and took his team to the Superbowl not that long ago. So yes the NFC West is scary good. I have three teams in my top 10 and honest the Niners could make it four very soon. 

You have to look at who they have played and who they lost or won against. While the Patriots are known to be a Dynasty that has since changed as not only did players such as Brady leave in FA, they also lost players to either injury or COVID opt outs at the beginning of the year. While Media hyped them up since getting Cam who is clearly not the same since his shoulder injury you have to look at who they actually beat. So outside of Rams beating the Bears outside of the division who have they truly faced and won to say that all 4 deserve to be top 12? Dont get me wrong not knocking the division as it is truly one of the strongest in the league but they haven't really faced anyone outside of the division to say that was a solid win other then the Rams vs Bears. You beat on the weakest division in the NFL which is the NFC East but outside of that they played the Jets and Pats (who are not the same team as last year, with so many changes and the key loss of Brady who is way better then Cam as he is likely going to go down as one of the best if not best Qb of all time.) Seattle and Arizona have the bills coming up and think those can be notable wins for them. Rams have the Dolphins in which Niners lost to so that can be a notable win even though they are at .500, and decided to randomly start a rookie qb after their veteran qb ripped the niners apart. Then you got Rams playing TB at one point, San Fran still has GB and NO. Outside of that it is either divisional games or winnable games against the NFC east, Jets, and Pats. All in all I think 3 teams from that division take up 3 playoff spots with one losing out. Rams have the toughest remaining schedule of the 4 and the hardest remaining in the NFL. Ideally I would like to see Arizona, Rams, and Seattle in the playoffs as they have been the most entertaining to watch but I can definitely see an argument be made with the Niners after a bounce back disaster against Miami. 

8 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Ideally I would like to see Arizona, Rams, and Seattle in the playoffs as they have been the most entertaining to watch but I can definitely see an argument be made with the Niners after a bounce back disaster against Miami. 

At this point it still seems like anybody could win the division, as all teams have shown promise along with other flaws. It's probably the second most open division in the NFL (I'm looking at you NFC East)... 

All teams have the capability to make a run if they can win some division games, but all could also fall with their division games.

10 minutes ago, UncleAdamz said:

At this point it still seems like anybody could win the division, as all teams have shown promise along with other flaws. It's probably the second most open division in the NFL (I'm looking at you NFC East)... 

All teams have the capability to make a run if they can win some division games, but all could also fall with their division games.

Yea I definitely agree, I didnt want to put a divisional winner on it because it is such a toss up right now. We still have a ton of football left but this division is probably the most competitive one in the NFL right now. It is one of the more entertaining divisions this year to watch that I do know. 

I would say yes. 
I like the 4 teams from the NFCW slightly more than the Browns (Defense + QB) / Colts (QB mostly) / Bears (again, QB). 
But then I would favor the Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Packers, Buccaneers, Titans over every team in the division. 
So yes, they would all be top 12, but ranked somewhere between 7 - 12

If I'd have to put a bet on it I'd say the Rams will win the division

Edited by MagicMT

20 hours ago, MagicMT said:

So yes, they would all be top 12, but ranked somewhere between 7 - 12

This is another thing, I feel like even at these ranks all of them are closer to their respective floors than their ceilings. Cardinals should continue to improve, Rams offense could start to gel a bit better, SF can get players back from injury, and obviously Seattle can improve on D. The only team I feel could really go backwards is the Rams, and that still doesn't seem too likely.

• Like 1