if Trevor Lawrence pulls an Eli Manning...

Apparition

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm going to Minnesota or Denver if I'm Fields. However, if you go to Denver, you're competing with Patrick Mahomes for the division every year, whereas if you go to Minnesota, that division is really wide open in about 2-3 years once Stafford and Rodgers are gone.

Stafford might be gone as early as next year if the Lions decide to do a full rebuild. 

At #4, I would not want the Giants to give the Jets a haul for Lawrence. As much of a non- Jones fan I am, I would not break the draft capital bank for Lawrence when there are tons of other needs this team needs. And I am the biggest advocate of getting the franchise QB first, and building around, but the Giants already crapped the bed with the Saquon pick, likely Jones, and potentially Thomas as well. 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Ian Rappoport said last week Minshew was in danger of getting benched...

I'm fairly sure QB is a pressing need/they plan on going QB barring something miraculous happening.

If I'm running the Jags, I'd still work on rebuilding the defense first, before going for another QB. 

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t think the value you present would be the most likely value. I liken this situation more closely to the 2012 draft in terms of value it would take. We don’t know what Andrew Luck would’ve accrued in pick value, but we do know that RG3, a QB that had closed the gap some to Luck netted three 1sts and a 2nd to move up 4 spots. I think this is a more realistic precedent of what type of deal to expect.

2004 occurred prior to QBs being placed on rookie scales, while 2012 was after the fact. So considering Lawrence is just as, if not more hyped than Andrew Luck, I think it stands to reason that the RG3 offer would be the starting negotiating price for that pick. And I think teams enough teams would be willing to foot the bill.

A team like the Broncos in fact I think would be a “surprise” player. They have the offense mostly in place for a Lawrence to thrive right away. They’ll likely have a new head coach in place. Drew Lock could be flipped for a day two pick. But I wouldn’t be shocked if they offered three 1sts and three or four 2nds. Elway strikes me as the type to be aggressive when he sees his QB and while I’m sure they’re perfectly “comfortable” with Drew Lock, if they’re within range of Lawrence, I think they strike hard.

This is of course assuming that Lawrence decides to pull an Eli Manning and doesn’t want to play for the Jets... because otherwise, I think they take him.

So if a deal is done, I think the deal would be done ahead of time. I don’t think they wait until draft night. I think the team making the trade will have already been in contact with Lawrence before making such a move to make sure he’s okay with playing for their franchise. Once they do so, the deal is finalized and we’ll already know it a couple days before draft day.

Good stuff. I hadn't considered the shifting circumstances since '04. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff said:

Trade out, and actually build around Darnold and give him a shot. I mean maybe trade out even if Trevor doesn’t say anything. Darnold has never been given a fair shake. 

I feel like there's a very strong possibility that Gase has permanently ruined Darnold the same way playing behind the Texans' OL permanently ruined David Carr. 

Even if he's not perma-f'd, he'll probably need a fresh start as a backup and work his way back to starting, the same way Steve Young did back in the day. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

I know that there was discussion about Burrow refusing to play for the Bengals because of how poorly run they are, but I cannot remember any other recent examples. 

I think the Bengals at least don't have a league-wide reputation of being as thoroughly dysfunctional as the Jets have been for the past 7-8 years. Mike Brown sucks, but at least he believes in stability (probably to his detriment, as exhibited by sticking with Marvin Lewis for as long as he did).

1 minute ago, Starless said:

I feel like there's a very strong possibility that Gase has permanently ruined Darnold the same way playing behind the Texans' OL permanently ruined David Carr. 

Even if he's not perma-f'd, he'll probably need a fresh start as a backup and work his way back to starting, the same way Steve Young did back in the day. 

It’s possible, but what’s not to say he, or whoever replaces him (because let’s face it at this point it’s an organizational issue as well) isn’t going to do that to Trevor? 

• Like 1

Just now, Starless said:

I think the Bengals at least don't have a league-wide reputation of being as thoroughly dysfunctional as the Jets have been for the past 7-8 years. Mike Brown sucks, but at least he believes in stability (probably to his detriment, as exhibited by sticking with Marvin Lewis for as long as he did).

Oh believe me, I fully believe the Jets have set themselves up to look spectacularly bad to any potential incoming talent. They mishandling of Bell, to long leash they've given Gase, the terrible ownership, the inability to support darnold with any sort of offensive weapons, the terrible offensive line they have fielded for years, casting off numerous first round picks like Richardson, Williams, Jamal Adams, and (if they select Darnold, him too.)

I would not want anything to do with going to NY as a prospect. You only get to make one first impression and the Jets are perfectly capable of ruining it and destroying your future value.

In pointing out the Bengals/Burrow situation, i wasn't drawing any comparisons other than the fact that there was talk during the last draft cycle that Burrow would pull an Eli.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

If I'm running the Jags, I'd still work on rebuilding the defense first, before going for another QB. 

If you don't have a franchise QB and have a chance at one there's no way you pass on that opportunity.

12 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

It’s possible, but what’s not to say he, or whoever replaces him (because let’s face it at this point it’s an organizational issue as well) isn’t going to do that to Trevor? 

Sure, but one, to me, is a near-certainty, while the other is a 50-50 shot at most.