if Trevor Lawrence pulls an Eli Manning...

Apparition

7 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

This is literally the opposite of what you should do. You'll end up like the Broncos the past 5 years; having absolutely crappy QB play, but because your defense is so good, you're not able to bottom out for a chance at top tier QB prospect. Always get the QB first.

Broncos had other issues - a QB drafted late in the first can be successful in the right circumstances

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Usually, I would agree.  However, I think we're going to see teams also look at the RG3 deal and argue that deal set back the Redskins' franchise.  Does the team moving up want to run that risk.  I think you're going to see something akin to what the Eagles gave up, plus a bit more.  Something like a FRP and SRP in Y1, a FRP and 3rd in Y2, and a 2nd round pick in Y3.

Tbf, there's a big difference for moving up for the 2nd QB than the 1st QB. Did some research in the past but there's a pretty major dropoff in success rate usually between those two.

Also, I think most will agree Trevor Lawrence seems to be at this point a generational talent in a similar vein to Luck and Peyton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

How many people really think Lawrence succeeds with the Jets? Instead of waiting for him to make the move, the Jets should IMO. Get the motherload from someone.

I don't see any QB succeeding there right now and they can acquire a ton of talent with all the picks

Well I don't think any team would be willing to deal with the Jets before they actually clinch 1st overall... I know the Jets have what it takes to be 0-16, but this is the NFL so there's always a chance of upset & there's a lot  of 1-win teams still out there.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:43 PM, Starless said:

In 2004 the cluster of QBs selected at the top of the draft resembles the one that 2021 is expected to have, with Lawrence as the consensus #1, followed by Fields and Lance in the top-10. Let's say the top 10 in the draft order look something like this:

1. NYJ

2. JAX

3. MIA (f/HOU)

4. NYG

5. ATL

6. CIN

7. DAL

8. DEN

9. MIN

10. NWE/PHI/WAS (depending on who wins the NFCE)

Among those, the bolded teams would go into the draft with QB as their most pressing need and would likely pick the best QB available, while the italicized teams would potentially be in the QB market (in Dallas' case it's predicated on what they do with Dak), but also have pressing needs at other positions that could compel them to pass on drafting one that high. 

I think the number of teams that would be in the QB market on a rookie contract in this group is much higher than what is suggested.  

NYJ, JAX, ATL, DAL, DEN, MIN, NE, WAS would all be teams I could see pull the trigger on a QB.  

23 hours ago, Starless said:

There's nobody who's available right now in the coaching pool that they can bring in who'd have that kind of instant cachet, unless they lure Cowher or Dungy out of retirement. Maybe if they hire Eric Bieniemy that'll be enough of a hot name to appease Lawrence, and he'll actually do enough to turn around the culture for him to succeed. 

Joe Brady the OC in Carolina would be an interesting hire.  Given what Joe Burrow developed into and how the Carolina offense is running without CMC, he might be a offensive minded coach that NYJ would/should pursue

On 10/28/2020 at 9:33 PM, Kip Smithers said:

When Browns had #1, when Colts had #1,  when Cincy had #1 pick and now. Enough citations for you? 

No freaking way for the Colts. They were coming off like 15 years of success with Peyton and Luck had already used his eligibility so he didn’t have any leverage.

In the Browns’ case there was no consensus #1 QB, so we didn’t even know who would try to force a trade from the Browns lol. Baker wasn’t even mocked that high until like the day before the draft.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

I think the number of teams that would be in the QB market on a rookie contract in this group is much higher than what is suggested.  

NYJ, JAX, ATL, DAL, DEN, MIN, NE, WAS would all be teams I could see pull the trigger on a QB.  

Yeah, I noted all of them as possibilities. I just think some are more likely than others, because of the current makeup of their rosters.