Baker’s 5th yr option

buno67

2 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

I find it hard to believe that Pro Bowls are still used as criteria for these really important business decisions.

Some positions go 6 or 7 deep as people opt out of the Pro Bowl.  Sometimes guys earn it, but sometimes it's a useless designation.

This year will actually be more legit, since they won't actually be playing the game, and guys won't (can't) opt out.

Yeah you’d think all pro designation would be used instead, much less watered down.

I know this is wishful thinking but I wonder if Baker would be smart enough to understand that he doesn't need a huge contract to always keep the team competitive. He should know he needs players and playmakers on both side of the ball. So trying to get too much of the cap doesn't make sense. Now I'm not saying he is going to be free but maybe taking more guaranteed money and less overall dollars in the right play.  When the Pats were winning Brady wasn't the highest paid guy, that seemed to work out well for him. 

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

I know this is wishful thinking but I wonder if Baker would be smart enough to understand that he doesn't need a huge contract to always keep the team competitive. He should know he needs players and playmakers on both side of the ball. So trying to get too much of the cap doesn't make sense. Now I'm not saying he is going to be free but maybe taking more guaranteed money and less overall dollars in the right play.  When the Pats were winning Brady wasn't the highest paid guy, that seemed to work out well for him. 

I don’t understand why a more guys don’t do that. 

Like somehow you’re not gonna be able to pay the mortgage on 15-20 million a year.

Baker will have earned 32 million after next season not including endorsements.  Assuming agents and whatever other fees and taxes, he should have easily 18-20 in actual “take home pay” just from football.  He should never need to work again, and that’s before the “real money” kicks in.

I guess I’d rather have a better career and be competing for titles with a great team around you as opposed to a 5th 8 figure vacation home.  🤷‍♂️ 

If Baker shows flashes of being good/great with some at least average games against the good teams, picking up his fifth year option is a no brainer. The only way I wouldn’t is if we see Baltimore/Pittsburgh/2nd half Indy Baker almost exclusively down the stretch the rest of the year.

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Yeah, Jarvis made the pro bowl and didnt even get 1k yards. 

The one year he didn’t get 1k, he had 112 catches. The other year he was prolly the best player on the browns during their resurgence in ‘18. Still had a pretty good year but I think he got it for playing for the browns and turning them around. 

also it’s more so About rookies tho. The vets will get in on name Recognition. Rookies/young guys gotta play pretty well. Like Ward he deserved his pro bowl nod his rookie year but last year he didn’t get it. He will prolly get this year as well. 

I think it be hard to make it all-pro. Be extremely hard for rookies or young players outside of a few exceptions to be all-pro. If they do play at an all pro level, you are getting a discount and are pretty lucky. 

30 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like somehow you’re not gonna be able to pay the mortgage on 15-20 million a year.

Baker will have earned 32 million after next season not including endorsements.  Assuming agents and whatever other fees and taxes, he should have easily 18-20 in actual “take home pay” just from football.  He should never need to work again, and that’s before the “real money” kicks in.

I guess I’d rather have a better career and be competing for titles with a great team around you as opposed to a 5th 8 figure vacation home.  🤷‍♂️ 

Especially when you are a high pick and the expectation is that you win superbowls. 

Someone like Dak, maximizing what you make when you have been earning peanuts compared to you peers and what you should have been earning it's fair enough. 

But the Staffords, Baker, and others I'd rather the organization keeps the 5 million and gets me a better gaurd or center or something. If you get to championship games and superbowls you will make tons of money from your legacy alone.

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

The one year he didn’t get 1k, he had 112 catches. The other year he was prolly the best player on the browns during their resurgence in ‘18. Still had a pretty good year but I think he got it for playing for the browns and turning them around. 

also it’s more so About rookies tho. The vets will get in on name Recognition. Rookies/young guys gotta play pretty well. Like Ward he deserved his pro bowl nod his rookie year but last year he didn’t get it. He will prolly get this year as well. 

I think it be hard to make it all-pro. Be extremely hard for rookies or young players outside of a few exceptions to be all-pro. If they do play at an all pro level, you are getting a discount and are pretty lucky. 

Rookies can make all pros and 2nd team all pros, especially 1st rounders, garrett, tj watt, Zeke, jack conklin, mahomes, lamar Jackson, Gurley, are all guys who have. 

I'm not saying Jarvis was bad, but he wasn't a strong pro bowler, there were othe guys a head of him, he  got there by name recognition.

8 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Rookies can make all pros and 2nd team all pros, especially 1st rounders, garrett, tj watt, Zeke, jack conklin, mahomes, lamar Jackson, Gurley, are all guys who have. 

I'm not saying Jarvis was bad, but he wasn't a strong pro bowler, there were othe guys a head of him, he  got there by name recognition.

Those other guys might have been in the NFC tho. I think only 2 guys ahead of him yard wise twere AFC WR didn’t get it but he did have more catches than them

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There is more to it than that. I don't know what the more is but there has to be. It may be pressure from the agent, pressure from the players (NFLPA) because it just makes sense to us. I understand wanting to have your children's children and etc... taken care of but you can only look so far ahead and have it outweigh your success.

Brady made a ton of money and his wife made more but I still feel like he could have taken some Kraft money that wasn't salary. Maybe it's just because they are shady or that it's so rare to leave 5 million on the table.

I know when I play road to the show or whatever the Madden version of that is I always think of the team first. Maybe, just maybe it is easier for me since it isn't real money.

Seriously though I do think there is something to it that we don't understand. There has to be more than just greed or having people think you got took.