Top Starters of Last 100 Years

bigbadbuff

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I think Bob Gibson has to be #1 on any list. I know Paige dominated the ***** Leagues but Gibson is the GOAT.

I think I'd have Gibson #1 and Pedro #2.

I'd go with Pedro for pure dominance, but Gibson was obviously more of a workhorse even after taking era into consideration.

Neither of them have the longevity of Randy, Maddux, or Clemens, although Clemens is quite obviously a guy who benefited from steroids FWIW. Speaking of Maddux, his prime was way better than I thought it was. Sucks that his career years were both partial seasons due to the strike.

Ugh I love Seaver and Koufax too.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

4 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I'd go with Pedro for pure dominance, but Gibson was obviously more of a workhorse even after taking era into consideration.

Neither of them have the longevity of Randy or Clemens, although Clemens is quite obviously a guy who benefited from steroids FWIW.

Ugh I love Seaver and Koufax too.

My thing is, Gibson was so dominant, they literally changed the rules. Gibson played from 59 to 75 too, throwing less than 200 innings twice from 61-74. Had an era that peaked a 3.39 at it's highest from 61 til 73.

Gibson's the goat IMO.

Edited by beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

My thing is, Gibson was so dominant, they literally changed the rules. Gibson played from 59 to 75 too, throwing less than 200 innings twice from 61-74. Had an era that peaked a 3.39 at it's highest from 61 til 73.

Gibson's the goat IMO.

Koufax was far better than Gibson from 62 to 66. They could've easily changed the rules because of him, but league-wide offense hadn't totally collapsed until after Sandy retired. And no, offense was total crap in 1968 due to more than just Gibson lol.

Pedro, Maddux, Randy, and Clemens (*) also couldn't inspire rules to increase offense because offense was absurdly high inspite of them lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Koufax was far better than Gibson from 62 to 66. They could've easily changed the rules because of him, but league-wide offense hadn't totally collapsed until after Sandy retired. And no, offense was total crap in 1968 due to more than just Gibson lol.

Yeah, Koufax was great from 61 to 66 but where was he from 57 to 60? He was good then but not what he became. Gibson did it longer, flat out. Gibson was a workhorse for 14 years. Koufax did it for 6 years.

Edited by beekay414

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, Koufax was great from 61 to 66 but where was he from 57 to 60? He was good then but not what he became. Gibson did it longer, flat out. Gibson was a workhorse for 14 years. Koufax did it for 6 years.

I know, but there may be guys with better combos of peak/longevity than Gibson. His year in 1968 may have partly inspired the MLB to lower the mound and tighten the strike zone, but the entire league couldn't hit that year. I mean look at Sam McDowell, Luis Tiant, and Denny McLain in the AL!  If the 90s/2000s guys played in that 1968 environment they would've inspired rule changes too.

Let's remove the narrative for a sec and you'll see that he has a pretty comparable peak to Seaver but he wasn't effective for quite as long.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I know, but there may be guys with better combos of peak/longevity than Gibson. His year in 1968 may have partly inspired the MLB to lower the mound and tighten the strike zone, but the entire league couldn't hit that year. I mean look at Sam McDowell, Luis Tiant, and Denny McLain in the AL!

Let's remove the narrative for a sec and you'll see that he has a pretty comparable peak to Seaver but he wasn't effective for quite as long.

For sure. I hear ya. It's all preferential anyways, especially when it's talking about people we never actually saw pitch. I mean, I'm arguing for a Cardinal FFS. If I'm speaking from someone I've actually seen, then I'm taking Pedro 1000 times out of 1000.