Week 8 - Rams at Dolphins

RamRod

3 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

It’s completely insane... I guess it was McVay throwing this team to a potential comeback win against the Bills. I guess it was the HC who threw for 2 TDs against a stout Bears defense ( and didn’t turn the ball over) 

It was the HC who threw for almost 400 yards and 2 TDs against a stout Washington Pass rush..... nome of this would be possible if Goff couldn’t read a defense, but I guess McVay does it all; call the plays and complete the passes 

None of the credit for the good stuff, all the credit for the bad. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

The Chiefs Niners SB is a good example, one of the major reasons why Mahomes got his ring because he had RBs and a defense that contributed when needed, not to mention Reid put him in situations to become MVP

Not to mention The niners stopped running the ball. 

that’s why I definitely agree with what was said before. Goff was honestly off to a great start this season and was the only QB along with Russ and Rodgers to not have a turnover worthy play for 3 or 4 weeks.

I also agree that teams need the run. The one thing that concerns me is how much Goff needs it. I know he isn’t Russell Wilson and can be great with a backup offensive line and no run game.. but how can a team not be able to rely on a QB they just paid a ton of money to when it matters most, or when the team needs their franchise QB to put it on his shoulders for once. I’ll admit I’m not the most confident in Goff when he needs to drop back and throw most play to win us the game. In the last 3 weeks, Goff hasn’t looked the same as the weeks before. The bears game he did fine, but was also lucky to not have thrown a pick 6 and another pick on the sideline. Just bad drops by the CBS. The niners game he was off, as was the whole team. Last week was the most brutal against Miami. Granted he was harassed.. but I think it’s the one game everyone here can agree was just bad on his part. 

I’m not done with Goff and I still have high hopes, but I do think there needs to be a time where he clearly shows he can be consistent and put the team on his back when they need him to. Especially when he’s taking up so much cap space. 

7 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Not to mention The niners stopped running the ball. 

that’s why I definitely agree with what was said before. Goff was honestly off to a great start this season and was the only QB along with Russ and Rodgers to not have a turnover worthy play for 3 or 4 weeks.

I also agree that teams need the run. The one thing that concerns me is how much Goff needs it. I know he isn’t Russell Wilson and can be great with a backup offensive line and no run game.. but how can a team not be able to rely on a QB they just paid a ton of money to when it matters most, or when the team needs their franchise QB to put it on his shoulders for once. I’ll admit I’m not the most confident in Goff when he needs to drop back and throw most play to win us the game. In the last 3 weeks, Goff hasn’t looked the same as the weeks before. The bears game he did fine, but was also lucky to not have thrown a pick 6 and another pick on the sideline. Just bad drops by the CBS. The niners game he was off, as was the whole team. Last week was the most brutal against Miami. Granted he was harassed.. but I think it’s the one game everyone here can agree was just bad on his part. 

I’m not done with Goff and I still have high hopes, but I do think there needs to be a time where he clearly shows he can be consistent and put the team on his back when they need him to. Especially when he’s taking up so much cap space. 

Flores seems to have the book on McVay and Goff. He kicked our *** in the Super Bowl too. It was a similar gameplan. I was and am angry at Jared. He shouldn't have kept forcing plays. Just eat the sack. He cost us the game. But McVay hung him out to dry, and I still say the play that changed that game was 80% on McVay. We had gotten burned multiple times going empty, and McVay goes empty right when we're about to score. All he has to do is run the ball behind the right side of the OL, and I think we score a TD. Instead of being up 14-7, we're down 14-7. Everything spiraled from there. I don't think Tua could have carried them to victory that day. With a 14-7 lead, we could have grinded out a win. Take issue with Goff's flaws all you want, but it's McVay's job to cover up his weaknesses and play to his strengths. I think the world of Sean, but he needs to learn to take what the defense is giving him. If they can't stop the run, run until they stop it. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Flores seems to have the book on McVay and Goff. He kicked our *** in the Super Bowl too. It was a similar gameplan. I was and am angry at Jared. He shouldn't have kept forcing plays. Just eat the sack. He cost us the game. But McVay hung him out to dry, and I still say the play that changed that game was 80% on McVay. We had gotten burned multiple times going empty, and McVay goes empty right when we're about to score. All he has to do is run the ball behind the right side of the OL, and I think we score a TD. Instead of being up 14-7, we're down 14-7. Everything spiraled from there. I don't think Tua could have carried them to victory that day. With a 14-7 lead, we could have grinded out a win. Take issue with Goff's flaws all you want, but it's McVay's job to cover up his weaknesses and play to his strengths. I think the world of Sean, but he needs to learn to take what the defense is giving him. If they can't stop the run, run until they stop it. 

Couldn’t agree more. Mcvay hasn’t helped Goff too much with his stubbornness to not keep running and having a lack of protection when he is clearly getting harassed. But Like I said, my gripe with Goff is that he hasn’t proved anything when it comes to putting the team on his shoulders. Teams are going to try and stop the run, and eventually a team will stop them from running (instead of Mcvay), and that’s when I would love to see Goff step up. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Sadly I might have to start agreeing with Colin when he says Kyle is the best young offensive mind in the NFL. Kyle gets it. Like in the playoffs against the Packers he only allowed Jimmy G to throw the ball 8 times. They ran the ball 42 times because the Packers couldnt stop it. Mosert looked like the best back in the NFL that game and Kyle kept feeding and feeding him and there was nothing the Packers could do about it. The only blemish and its a big blemish Kyle has is that he abandoned the run in the Superbowl with his teams leading. That was stupid. He literally should have 2 Superbowl rings had it not been for him stop running. But outside of those two times which again are HUGE because you shouldnt blow your chances in the Superbowl like he did. Like Kyle gets in normally where as McVay seems to not. The only positive thing about McVay is technically he is still the youngest coach in the NFL. He has 4yrs of coaching experience and so I think he will grow and get better. Both him and Goff will get better together. Like even Payton of the Saints does some head scratching things like throwing the ball in the NFCCG against the Rams when he shouldve ran it. I know Saints fans have an explanation as to why the Saints threw it but like you run to keep that clock going. They obviously got bailed out by that no PI call so they will always focus on that rather than that incomplete pass right before it. Then I shake my head when Payton take Brees off the field and use Hill at QB. I get trying to be creative but you dont take your leader and one of the all-time best QB's in NFL history off the field especially in big games like the playoffs against the Vikings last season. As I think Terry Bradshaw famously said one time "keep it simple stupid". Sometimes the kryptonite of a brilliant offensive coach is getting too cute. We saw Nagy do that against the Rams on MNF trying to pick up a 4th and 1 he gets to cute and gives it to a kick returner Patterson in the backfield. It didnt work. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Sadly I might have to start agreeing with Colin when he says Kyle is the best young offensive mind in the NFL. Kyle gets it. Like in the playoffs against the Packers he only allowed Jimmy G to throw the ball 8 times. They ran the ball 42 times because the Packers couldnt stop it. Mosert looked like the best back in the NFL that game and Kyle kept feeding and feeding him and there was nothing the Packers could do about it. The only blemish and its a big blemish Kyle has is that he abandoned the run in the Superbowl with his teams leading. That was stupid. He literally should have 2 Superbowl rings had it not been for him stop running. But outside of those two times which again are HUGE because you shouldnt blow your chances in the Superbowl like he did. Like Kyle gets in normally where as McVay seems to not. The only positive thing about McVay is technically he is still the youngest coach in the NFL. He has 4yrs of coaching experience and so I think he will grow and get better. Both him and Goff will get better together. Like even Payton of the Saints does some head scratching things like throwing the ball in the NFCCG against the Rams when he shouldve ran it. I know Saints fans have an explanation as to why the Saints threw it but like you run to keep that clock going. They obviously got bailed out by that no PI call so they will always focus on that rather than that incomplete pass right before it. Then I shake my head when Payton take Brees off the field and use Hill at QB. I get trying to be creative but you dont take your leader and one of the all-time best QB's in NFL history off the field especially in big games like the playoffs against the Vikings last season. As I think Terry Bradshaw famously said one time "keep it simple stupid". Sometimes the kryptonite of a brilliant offensive coach is getting too cute. We saw Nagy do that against the Rams on MNF trying to pick up a 4th and 1 he gets to cute and gives it to a kick returner Patterson in the backfield. It didnt work. 

I think the Niners simply have the best coaching staff in the league. They have absolutely no business being in any game with the amount of players that are injured and on the Covid list. I’ve been saying it for a while now, the Niners are the best team in the league when it comes to Next man up. Even in the Super Bowl run they lost a ton of players during the season and still kept winning. I’ve never seen anything like it. That staff deserves an award. They’re basically worse than the Jets right now and still are so much better. 

Edited by MDY10

11 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Couldn’t agree more. Mcvay hasn’t helped Goff too much with his stubbornness to not keep running and having a lack of protection when he is clearly getting harassed. But Like I said, my gripe with Goff is that he hasn’t proved anything when it comes to putting the team on his shoulders. Teams are going to try and stop the run, and eventually a team will stop them from running (instead of Mcvay), and that’s when I would love to see Goff step up. 

I disagree with you saying Goff hasnt put the team on his shoulders. In 2018 when the Rams had to win shootouts almost the entire season Goff had to continuously score. As a matter of fact from Week 16 of 2017 season against the Titans to the NFCCG against the Saints Goff had (7) 4th/OT comeback wins which was 2nd most in the NFL in that span. Then last season with no running game and a bad OL Goff nearly led the team to the playoffs. The two highlighted games was at Seattle on TNF where Goff lead the team down the field for Zuerlein to win and he didnt. Then at San Fran on Saturday night where Goff led the team down the field to tie the game up and the defense couldnt stop two 3rd and longs and that led to the Niners kicking a field goal to win it. Not to mention in New Orleans in 2018 the Rams were down by 21pts and Goff led the team all the way back to tie 28-28 in the 4th quarter and the defense let him down because Peters couldnt stop Thomas and then this season against the Bills down big Goff help lead the team all the way back to take the lead but the defense couldnt make another 3rd and long stop plus couldnt make a stop in the redzone after that PI call which lost them the game. So Goff can put the team on his shoulders. The problem is he isnt the type of QB that you want to do it coming off the bus. Like Mahomes, Wilson, Brady, Brees you can ask them coming off the team bus to carry the team today. They can do it. Goff isnt the guy that you ask to carry the team before the game start. Goff is the type of QB that needs to feel out the defense. Once he feels the defense out and get a better understanding of how to attack them he can play well. Just coming out throwing 61 times for really any QB even Mahomes, Wilson, Brady, and Brees is not good. 

4 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

I think the Niners simply have the best coaching staff in the league. They have absolutely no business being in any game with the amount of players that are injured and on the Covid list. I’ve been saying it for a while now, the Niners are the best team in the league when it comes to Next man up. Even in the Super Bowl run they lost a ton of players during the season and still kept winning. I’ve never seen anything like it. That staff deserves an award. They’re basically worse than the Jets right now and still are so much better. 

Well the Niners are not just well-coached but they have a scheme that doesnt rely on blue chip talent. Kyle got that from his father Mike from his time in Denver and Washington. He had players that werent well known that played great because of the scheme. I think McVay scheme is the same. The only issue with McVay I go back to and thats not sticking with something that is working. Rams can run the heck out of the football and until someone stops it he needs to keep running. In 2018 the Rams had a top 3 rushing offense. They picked up Anderson off the street and came in and ran like he was the best back in the NFL. Now the Rams have a three headed attack in Brown, Henderson, and Akers. No reason for McVay not to run it down teams throats. I expect McVay to run it down Seattle throat but my question is, will he do it against the Bucs the following game? 

10 hours ago, MDY10 said:

I agree with this. No one is saying Goff is blameless or that he doesn't need to play better as well, but the offensive struggles are more of a result of the playcalling (or atleast 50/50).

22 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

This might be a shocker to you but Goff still has room to grow just like any QB. Hell if you ask Brees he will tell you he is still learning something new about his game and he is soon to retire. Ill say it again I dont know where the notion of Goff cant read defenses. Wins and his stats have been top 5 since 2017 and if you dont know how to read defenses you wont be that good. 

I appreciate your effort for the writing. But i can't spend all my time writing to you : ) 

Let's cut it short because you are saying that Goff is as important as Mcvay is. 

You are comparing others QB to Goff because they have bad performance against certain type of scheme, or coach. And you seem to say that Goff is not a product of Mcvay. 

Okay but let's play a game. 

If you replace Goff by any Qb in the league. Who do you think will equal the performance of Goff with Mcvay ? Who do you think will be bad with Mcvay offense ? 

Now, replace Brees, Brady, Mahomes, Big Ben, Ryan, Wilson by Goff. Do you think Goff will perform equally to these QB  with their respective team ?  

Personnaly, i think 3/4 of the starting QB in this league can perform Goff equally with Mcvay scheme. Some of them would also outperform him. 

But again i'm not saying he's a bad QB but at the price the Rams pay him i'm expecting more of him. 

18 minutes ago, Flounch said:

But again i'm not saying he's a bad QB but at the price the Rams pay him i'm expecting more of him. 

Aaaaaaand there it is. That’s the problem with all of this. You can not judge this in a one to one scale. The market for NFL QBs is something that can’t be analyzed by linear metrics

The price for a true starting QB is just who’s up next, and they get the new top mark. It’s not about do they deserve what their deal is, it’s just something you have to accept, or be ok with Mitch Trubiski level production. That’s it, that’s the bottom line and that’s why so many are annoyed with your continued tear down of Goff. You can’t say “he’s paid as a Top (X#) QB so he should be producing at that level” And if you can’t get past that, then you are not discussing this topic in the current reality and everyone will continue to tell you how wrong you are

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I appreciate your effort for the writing. But i can't spend all my time writing to you : ) 

Let's cut it short because you are saying that Goff is as important as Mcvay is. 

You are comparing others QB to Goff because they have bad performance against certain type of scheme, or coach. And you seem to say that Goff is not a product of Mcvay. 

Okay but let's play a game. 

If you replace Goff by any Qb in the league. Who do you think will equal the performance of Goff with Mcvay ? Who do you think will be bad with Mcvay offense ? 

Now, replace Brees, Brady, Mahomes, Big Ben, Ryan, Wilson by Goff. Do you think Goff will perform equally to these QB  with their respective team ?  

Personnaly, i think 3/4 of the starting QB in this league can perform Goff equally with Mcvay scheme. Some of them would also outperform him. 

Every QB is a product of something. You think Brady would’ve developed to be who he is today if he didn’t have Belichick and the structure of the Pats? The Chargers were literally pulling the plug on Brees by drafting Rivers. Brees goes to New Orleans under the structure of Payton and is a HOF’er. You think he would’ve been the same in Miami? Culpepper was great in Minnesota the second he went to Miami he sucked and faded away fast. Mahomes wasn’t this top 5 prospect coming out of Texas Tech that’s why he fell in the draft but he is in the perfect situation under Reid. You think he would’ve worked in Cleveland? Big Ben also fell in the right situation in a structured Pittsburgh with great defense, great running game, great coaching, great front office. You think Big Ben would’ve had all those rings had he went to the Jets? Ryan isn’t living fully up to his full potential because the Falcons can’t get out of their own way. Constantly blowing leads in big games. Again, how many leads Goff has blown under McVay? So I think at this point instead of focusing so much on Goff flaws because yes he has flaws but so does every QB let’s appreciate we have a real QB and we aren’t that team still looking for one or even worst that team that sorta kinda feel like they have one they just aren’t showing results like the Lions and Falcons right now. Stafford and Ryan are sorta kinda the guy except neither has been consistent. Ryan won MVP with Kyle as the OC but he also was a part of that epic Superbowl collapse. Falcons never been the same since. 

11 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Thought I’d stop by to see if any of y’all are eating your crow about that Dolphins team from last Week? And how bad of a loss it was? 

Nope? Nothing? Didn’t think so

Well if we are comparing games... 

Kyler Murray 21-26 283 Yards 3 touchdowns and ZERO picks. Fumbled once which was the only turnover all game... 

want me to throw up Goffs stats? I always thought it was dumb to compare other teams against other teams but if that’s what we are doing lol