RamRod

Week 8 - Rams at Dolphins

Goff had a very bad game overall but McVay deserves more  blame. 

McVay had no answer for Flores and he kept hanging out Goff to dry. It’s easy to blame Goff but this game was won on scheme. It reminds me of the Vikings game during McVays first year where he got completely outclassed by Flores. 

McVay needs to understand the strengths and weaknesses of Goff and start playing towards it. 

Goff cannot force stupid throws when he’s pressured. He needs to know better. It’s his 5th year 

• Like 2

Imagine arguing with Rams fans all week about Jared Goff and then watching this disaster of a game.

The defense played lights out. The running game was effective. There were drops by Everett and WR's....Jared Goff lost us this game.

Oh and Kai Forbath ISNT THE ANSWER EITHER.

First game where I can see we got dominated. Disgraceful. Worst lost of the season by far and possibly since TB last year.

1 hour ago, RamPackFan said:

Hate to do it but 

Toldyou so about Goff!! Lmao.

Ugh go away. Goff has been really good this year before today. If you really think Goff isn't a good QB, you don't understand the game. 

46 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm going about my business and turning this game off. Worst effort from Goff since the Chicago game in 2018, and McVay was absolutely embarrassing today. It was clear from early in the game that we could run the ball on these guys, but we could not sit back in the shotgun, especially empty, and throw on them. Yet, McVay insisted on trying. Goff deserves a ton of blame, and so does McVay. The most infuriating part of it all was watching Miami play 8 to 10 yards off, bring their heavy blitzes, and McVay not just burn them with quick screens to the WRs. I don't know why he refused to get it, but Goff needs to man up and check out of this atrocious garbage. Either ways, I'm done for today. Those two need to figure some crap out over the bye. Yet again, the Belichick defense outsmarts them. 

This.

43 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Would have been a 14-7 game with the momentum on our side imo if McVay didn't stupidly run empty in the red-zone after the fumble after getting burned by it multiple times earlier. I'm not excusing Goff. He's just hapless today. God effing awful. But McVay could have protected him. Instead, he only made matters worse. This is just like the 49ers game. McVay gets too smart and too cute instead of just grinding out a win, and Goff poops the bed. They need to figure their ish out over the bye week.

And this.

Goff was horrible today and Mcvay refused to adjust to it. #1 rushing offense vs the #32 rushing defense? Let's throw Goff 30 times in the first half. 

Mcvay needs to give up playcalling. He's fantastic at scheming them, but this isn't the first game he gets to cute. He always has, and it needs to stop. This game should've been run-run-run and for some reason, he wanted to throw against Jones/Howard. 

• Like 1

To the people who said the rams only beat the east and the bears... How can we honestly say they're wrong? Playing football on Sundays is how to prove things right or wrong.. what have the rams done to prove that they can win games and be a contender? Again, I try and see the good in everything and stay positive, but how many excuses need to be made? How many times will we keep falling to teams that clearly aren't as talented? I think todays game has officially put me on the opposite side. Until the Rams prove they can be a good team, im done treating them as one. Until Mcvay proves he can be a better play caller, I will stop treating him as a good play caller. Until Goff proves he's a Good quarterback who doesn't always crumble under pressure, I will stop treating him as a good QB.  

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Imagine arguing with Rams fans all week about Jared Goff and then watching this disaster of a game.

The defense played lights out. The running game was effective. There were drops by Everett and WR's....Jared Goff lost us this game.

Oh and Kai Forbath ISNT THE ANSWER EITHER.

First game where I can see we got dominated. Disgraceful. Worst lost of the season by far and possibly since TB last year.

Based on the plays and schemes McVay was running, no QB in the league would’ve won this game for us. 

Just goes to show you much most guys know about the position. Look at the stat sheet and automatically blame Goff. 

Goff was for sure to blame but not nearly as much as the HC 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Bye week, then Seattle, then the bucs. Rams are in trouble. 

If today is a sign of bad things to come then so be it. When 2021 rolls around I don’t want to see the same reoccurring problems with this team; the bad play calling and overall inconsistency is driving me insane.

31 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

So a few weeks ago I was annoyed and I’m curious if the same excuses come up now. When do we stop making excuses for the rams? They’re an average team with a good defense and sometimes a good offense. I’m very upset with the fact that the Nfl actually allows players to sit on that sideline when it’s 140 degrees. It’s literally not safe lmao while I do think it had something to do with today’s performance, our defense didn’t choke and use that as an excuse to dominate. What happened by Goff today was inexcusable. Oline was so great this year and stayed in LA this week. Call it a bad game, but good teams don’t have bad games this often. No more excuses. We had our bad games already. 

The Rams arent an average team. They are a really good team. Tell me this. How many teams can travel east 4 times in a span of 8 weeks and end up being (5-3) one bad PI call away from (6-2)? Do you realize how hard that is ESPECIALLY during covid. The Rams traveled at minimum 1100 miles to Washington. Buffalo, Philly, and Miami are all at least 2500 miles each. The schedule early for the Rams didnt do them any favors, even Whitworth said all this traveling have been the hardest on him. So just that alone Im impressed with the Rams to be (5-3) having to travel across country 4 times. 

Now the Rams defense isnt good its great. Lets fix that. Besides a bad first half against Buffalo and a bad first half against the Niners, whats not great about the Rams defense? The offense isnt as explosive as we have seen McVay offense back in 2018 but its still efficient. The running game is top 10, the passing game is the most inconsistent but we know Goff does get hot. Heck he was starting to get hot in the 4th quarter. That drop by Everett hurt big time. Had Everett just held on to the ball the Rams would still be in business to score a td rather than settle for a long field goal that obviously Forbath missed.

With all that being said the Rams werent great today in the passing game and on special teams. Doesnt make this team average. The expectations is for this offense to be dynamic because of McVay and when its not people scream RAMS ARENT GOOD. People scream GOFF IS TERRIBLE. Well maybe we need to lower those expectations some or at least understand that Flores on the other side can coach the heck out of a defense and he has seen Goff and this offense before.

Ill play along though when you say the Rams are average. In 2018 when they went to the Superbowl they loss back to back games to Chicago and Philly late in the season where they didnt look good. They were so close to losing the Broncos and really got exposed by the Lions of all teams too even though they won that game. By the end of it all the Rams was still your NFC champs. People sold their stock after those back to back losses to the Bears and Eagles. Rams arent average. They are a really good team who had to travel across country 4 times in 7 weeks and they are (5-3) coming on a BYE where they can finally start to get some home games and west coast games. Should make for an interesting 2nd half but I still love the position the Rams are in. I think they are going to beat the Seahawks then lose to the Bucs before getting revenge on the Niners and beat once again the Cards. In a month or so the Rams will be sitting (8-3) when they have the Superbowl rematch with the Pats coming to LA for a TNF game. 

Edited by stl4life07

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Based on the plays and schemes McVay was running, no QB in the league would’ve won this game for us. 

Just goes to show you much most guys know about the position. Look at the stat sheet and automatically blame Goff. 

Goff was for sure to blame but not nearly as much as the HC 

It's useless to try to explain this to the ones that don't get it. They never will. 

Goff was horrible, but Mcvay put him in horrible positions as well. Both need to be a lot better. 

Edited by JonStark

Good luck the rest of the season, Rams fans! Goff is definitely better than what he looked like today. Yall should bounce back. 

• Like 3

Just now, El Ramster said:

I can honestly say Jared Goff is/was super trash today. 

He definitely was horrible today BUT he did start to heat up in the 4th quarter. Momentum was gone when Everett dropped that 3rd down pass. Those are the plays you have to make. Like Wentz struggles in games too but when it comes down to the 4th quarter and his team needs to make a play to comeback and win we see Fulgham and Scott make those plays. Not saying the Rams wouldve came back and win but who knows what wouldve happened if Everett caught that ball? Instead he didnt, Forbath missed that field goal and game officially over. 

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

It's useless to try to explain this to the ones that don't get it. They never will. 

Goff was horrible, but Mcvay put him in horrible positions as well. Both need to be a lot better. 

Running an empty backfield offense was the DUMBEST ish they could’ve done this game; everyone knew the Dolphins D was good, so why would you run that kind of offensive scheme for a pocket QB??? 

• Like 1

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Good luck the rest of the season, Rams fans! Goff is definitely better than what he looked like today. Yall should bounce back. 

Congrats on the win. The Dolphins kicked the Rams butt so badly they really didnt ask Tua to do anything. That one pass for that td though was the Tua I saw at Bama being an LSU fan. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The Rams arent an average team. They are a really good team. Tell me this. How many teams can travel east four times in a span of 8 weeks and end up being (5-3) one bad PI call away from (6-2)? Do you realize how how that is ESPECIALLY during covid. The Rams traveled at minimum 1100 miles to Washington. Buffalo, Philly, and Miami are all at least 2500 miles each. The schedule early for the Rams didnt do them any favors, even Whitworth said all this traveling have been the hardest on him. So just that alone Im impressed with the Rams to be (5-3) having to travel across country 4 times. 

AGAIN with this excuse. Stop using it. Its old. 

Now the Rams defense isnt good its great. Lets fix that. Besides a bad first half against Buffalo and a bad first half against the Niners, whats not great about the Rams defense? The offense isnt as explosive as we have seen McVay offense back in 2018 but its still efficient. The running game is top 10, the passing game is the most inconsistent but we know Goff does get hot. Heck he was starting to get hot in the 4th quarter. That drop by Everett hurt big time. Had Everett just held on to the ball the Rams would still be in business to score a td rather than settle for a long field goal that obviously Forbath missed

Rams defense not the problem at all. Not once have I said that were. However, They haven't played anyone aside from Dallas with a good offense. They have been amazing in the second half of pretty much every game. I do think it took a bit to adjust to a tough scheme, and they still are. But I said good defense and thats what they are. Good/Great/ Whatever.. they aren't the problem

With all that being said the Rams werent great today in the passing game and on special teams. Doesnt make this team average. The expectations is for this offense to be dynamic because of McVay and when its not people scream RAMS ARENT GOOD. People scream GOFF IS TERRIBLE. Well maybe we need to lower those expectations some or at least understand that Flores on the other side can coach the heck out of a defense and he has seen Goff and this offense before.

So yet again.. "just wasn't our day" basically. Just a bad game. AGAIN. How many great teams have these "just a bad game" 3-4 times in the first 8 games?

Im not saying its over... but excuses need to stop. Its the halfway point now and theres no reason they shouldn't be clicking on offense. Traveling does not affect play calling abilities. The entire NFC west travels ALOT this year. The hawks more than the rams.. Good teams beat bad teams. We have looked bad offensively many times this year. NO MORE EXCUSES. 

EDIT: Extra thought-

Goff is 100% not as bad as today. He had .2 seconds to throw. The line didn't show up today unless they were running. Kupp with a few drops agin, granted some were way behind. Many players didn't show up on offense.. and neither did Mcvay. But to my point again, if they never prove they can be consistent, why do people get upset when we say they aren't a good team. A team is its players AND coaches. Cant show up once every few weeks and expect to be a "good team". 

Happy with the defense, even without Jalen. UNREAL by them

Edited by MDY10

8 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Mcvay needs to give up playcalling. He's fantastic at scheming them, but this isn't the first game he gets to cute. He always has, and it needs to stop. This game should've been run-run-run and for some reason, he wanted to throw against Jones/Howard. 

I struggle with this. There are a lot of games where McVay is brilliant. But then he has games like this and SF where he just refuses to take what the defense is giving him. When you can churn out 4 to 5 yards a pop in the running game, do it until they stop it. Make them bring guys into the box. And then you start hitting them with passing plays. McVay just seems unable and unwilling in certain games to stick with the run. But in a lot of other games, he looks like a total genius. I don't think he necessarily needs to give up play-calling, but I really wish Jared would start overruling him at the LOS. IMO, if we throw only 10 times in the first half against Miami, I think we're leading.