Mock Offseason

MKnight82

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.  I had the day off yesterday but had to watch my son all day inside because it was pouring.  Figured I'd waste time by doing a detailed mock.  

That sounds like a lot of winning bud!!! Great post and dad time it doesn’t get much better then that!!!

27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I took a stab at a Safety in the 3rd.  

We don't have as much cap space as people think.  Now that can change with restructures,  but I didn't do any of those.  I would imagine the biggest candidate for a restructure would be Landon Collins because his cap hold is huge.  I actually think Mo Allie Cox and Curtis Samuel are better signings than Stacey McGee.  Both are young with upside.  You state you want to add an elite player, those rarely hit free agency.  Take a look at this upcoming FA class, it isn't very good.  

I just got caught up on Cox and didn't really see the safety drafted.  I am not sure that guy is a free safety though.

I know 50M gets used quick, but we are at the top of the cap space food chain (top 5 I think) and you are right, we may need to do some restructures to really leverage the space.  We got to make at least one big move.  If we aren't paying an elite qb 30+ million a year, we need compensate with weapons.

I would not just look to free agency, I would try to trade for players.  The draft is going to be even more of a guessing game than usual this year.  There are lots of teams in cap hell this year.  Look at the saints, why not trade for Michael Thomas.  

But there are plenty of Free Agents available.  Hunter Henry.  Chris Godwin.  Allen Robinson.  Kenny Golladay.  Hilton.  Keenan Allen.  AJ Green.  

25 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If we aren't paying an elite qb 30+ million a year, we need compensate with weapons.

That's one of our biggest problems.  We ARE paying big dollars towards QBs right now.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/positional/ 

26 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I would not just look to free agency, I would try to trade for players.  The draft is going to be even more of a guessing game than usual this year.  There are lots of teams in cap hell this year.  Look at the saints, why not trade for Michael Thomas.  

Because when you do that you not only spend draft picks (for compensation) you have to double down with a ton of cap space towards that player too. 

27 minutes ago, offbyone said:

But there are plenty of Free Agents available.  Hunter Henry.  Chris Godwin.  Allen Robinson.  Kenny Golladay.  Hilton.  Keenan Allen.  AJ Green. 

The majority of these player will not hit free agency.  And a lot of them are older than the timeline of our rebuild.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That's one of our biggest problems.  We ARE paying big dollars towards QBs right now.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/positional/ 

Because when you do that you not only spend draft picks (for compensation) you have to double down with a ton of cap space towards that player too. 

The majority of these player will not hit free agency.  And a lot of them are older than the timeline of our rebuild.

We are going to cut Alex Smith though and even so we are spending way less than other teams.

I totally agree, not ideal to trade a high draft pick and pay top dollars for a player, but I also think it is paramount to our success to acquire an elite pass catcher.  

All it takes is one of those players.  A lot of those players are in their prime. 

I will never understand this whole "rebuild timeline".  Roster turnover is constant.  You should try to win every year.  Rivera already took 2020 off.  I am not giving him another year.  It is time to win.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

We are going to cut Alex Smith though and even so we are spending way less than other teams.

I totally agree, not ideal to trade a high draft pick and pay top dollars for a player, but I also think it is paramount to our success to acquire an elite pass catcher.  

All it takes is one of those players.  A lot of those players are in their prime. 

I will never understand this whole "rebuild timeline".  Roster turnover is constant.  You should try to win every year.  Rivera already took 2020 off.  I am not giving him another year.  It is time to win.

We have that elite pass catcher developing!!! Drafting that position high doesn’t translate to titles I can go forever on this topic that the teams that win have their number one drafted in the bottom half of the first or later a great TE and a good Corp. Terry is that guy we need that elite level pass catcher from the TE spot more then we need a #2 WR because you can make 3 different guys best trait your number 2 on any given play based on progressions and play design.

the rest I agree every year you try to win because losing is a hard thing to get out of the locker room. But there is no timeline for a rebuild. You either have a franchise QB and can protect him or you got a rebuild. Neither have came through these doors outside of RG before he got hurt. He had the chance to progress he chose to fight and his career is where it is due to his choices. But Terry and Pitts or Feurmouth as Knight said would be huge that was one of my most critical scouts this year he and Parsons from Penn st. But Parsons opted out.

• Like 2

According to spotrac we are spending the 10th most in the NFL at the QB position.  So definitely not way less than other teams.  

Don't we already have that in McLaurin?  I mean I can't see us acquiring someone and pushing McLaurin to #2.  We will likely acquire a #2 type of WR, which is what I did in this mock. 

If you aren't competitive that you can't be doing win now moves like trading draft picks for older players, which is what I meant by rebuild timeline.  

25 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

We have that elite pass catcher developing!!! Drafting that position high doesn’t translate to titles I can go forever on this topic that the teams that win have their number one drafted in the bottom half of the first or later a great TE and a good Corp. Terry is that guy we need that elite level pass catcher from the TE spot more then we need a #2 WR because you can make 3 different guys best trait your number 2 on any given play based on progressions and play design.

the rest I agree every year you try to win because losing is a hard thing to get out of the locker room. But there is no timeline for a rebuild. You either have a franchise QB and can protect him or you got a rebuild. Neither have came through these doors outside of RG before he got hurt. He had the chance to progress he chose to fight and his career is where it is due to his choices. But Terry and Pitts or Feurmouth as Knight said would be huge that was one of my most critical scouts this year he and Parsons from Penn st. But Parsons opted out.

I actually think there is a timeline, and that timeline is determined by your QB contract.  The minute you take a first round QB you are on a 5 year window to compete because as soon as they are eligible for a huge contract extension you are screwed.  That's why I think the best strategy is to build up a solid roster that is competitive, and then add a cheap talented rookie QB to that roster on a 5 year rookie contract.  

This would be the perfect off season for me in short.

Kyle Allen becomes a stud & we have our QB.

Right before the trade deadline, we trade for an outstanding wr & it only cost us a 3rd & 4th round draft pick. 

Hypothetically, let's say it's WR Julio Jones/Atlanta.

This in turn, catapults us to the Divisional title & we make playoffs.

1st round pick is let's say #20.

We draft that OT Leatherneck. Or some stud LT sitting there for us.

2nd round, we get a steal of a TE with a 1st Rd grade.

Free Agency, we address other holes...

That would be awesome for me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Personally, I am not a big of drafting WRs high.  It is a position that has a huge learning curve from college to nfl and you see a lot of busts.  That is why I want one in free agency.  Yes McClaurin is good, but he would be better if teams had someone else to defend and what if he goes down?  What do we have then?

I am all for a TE.  Sign Hunter Henry or trade cleveland for a TE.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

According to spotrac we are spending the 10th most in the NFL at the QB position.  So definitely not way less than other teams.  

Don't we already have that in McLaurin?  I mean I can't see us acquiring someone and pushing McLaurin to #2.  We will likely acquire a #2 type of WR, which is what I did in this mock. 

If you aren't competitive that you can't be doing win now moves like trading draft picks for older players, which is what I meant by rebuild timeline.  

That positional spending is very interpretive.  We could easily move that qb cap space around, but we are eating cap space this year to get rid of smith while other teams have pushed theirs years out.  

We need to stop resting our laurels on McLaurin.  We don't want to be a one trick pony.  McLaurin in my mind is still in between a #2 and #1.  That really doesn't matter, what does matter is that he will never realize his full potential until another WR on our offense draws the attention of the defense.  

You are certainly right, that being a top tier team will allow us more ability to attract vet free agents.  But we aren't going to get there by sitting on our hands.  

16 minutes ago, offbyone said:

That positional spending is very interpretive.  We could easily move that qb cap space around, but we are eating cap space this year to get rid of smith while other teams have pushed theirs years out.  

We need to stop resting our laurels on McLaurin.  We don't want to be a one trick pony.  McLaurin in my mind is still in between a #2 and #1.  That really doesn't matter, what does matter is that he will never realize his full potential until another WR on our offense draws the attention of the defense.  

You are certainly right, that being a top tier team will allow us more ability to attract vet free agents.  But we aren't going to get there by sitting on our hands.  

McLaurin is only in between cause he got no help on the other side !

I really enjoyed your write up dude but I do disagree with some aspects of it. There’s simply no way I’d go into next season with Kyle Allen as the starter and waste yet another year of McLaurin, Sweat, Payne, Gibson, Holcomb, Young, Fuller in doing so. I loved the pick of Pat F. from Penn State. Dudes a monster. Not so much the pick of Leatherwood but I’d have to see what you left on the board. I also really disagree that Chase Rouillier is an average center. I believe he’s one of the leagues best and I think PFF has him graded as such although I could be wrong there.  Outside of that and your sorta similar to Rivera approach to free agency I like it. You put in some good effort here and it was a nice read. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I really enjoyed your write up dude but I do disagree with some aspects of it. There’s simply no way I’d go into next season with Kyle Allen as the starter and waste yet another year of McLaurin, Sweat, Payne, Gibson, Holcomb, Young, Fuller in doing so. I loved the pick of Pat F. from Penn State. Dudes a monster. Not so much the pick of Leatherwood but I’d have to see what you left on the board. I also really disagree that Chase Rouillier is an average center. I believe he’s one of the leagues best and I think PFF has him graded as such although I could be wrong there.  Outside of that and your sorta similar to Rivera approach to free agency I like it. You put in some good effort here and it was a nice read. 

You are right sir. Roullier has been above average this year, we should keep him. I also don’t see a reason to not keep KPL. He’s also been good most of the time and we should keep around. You’d hope we have a younger player or a FA come in and beat KPL out, but he’s been our best LB this year - not a big enough sample size with Holcomb IMO.

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Personally, I am not a big of drafting WRs high.  It is a position that has a huge learning curve from college to nfl and you see a lot of busts.  That is why I want one in free agency.  Yes McClaurin is good, but he would be better if teams had someone else to defend and what if he goes down?  What do we have then?

I am all for a TE.  Sign Hunter Henry or trade cleveland for a TE.  

I feel like the 2nd and 3rd round is the sweet spot for WRs.  Looks at the WRs taken in the 2nd & 3rd in the past 3 drafts:

Tee Higgins

Michael Pittman Jr.

Laviska Shenault

KJ Hamler

Chase Claypool

Van Jefferson

Denzel Mims

Bryan Edwards

Devin Duvernay

Deebo Samuel

AJ Brown

Mecole Hardman