Mock Offseason

MKnight82

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Per both Spotrac and OverTheCap, we currently have $22M in unused 2020 cap space that we should be able to roll over to next season. That should vastly increase the amount of financial flexibility they’ll have to make meaningful additions. 

This is a very good catch.  I swear I have seen them include carry over cap before, perhaps they don't add it until the season is over and they know the official numbers.  But you appear correct in that they haven't included it here.  

I’m really torn on Scherff and Roullier. Scherff is really pretty excellent when healthy, but can we really afford to pay him like a top 5 OG when he’s never staying healthy? I just don’t know. Roullier is a solid starting center, but do we really need to pay FA money for that level of play? I just don’t know. I want to invest in having an excellent OL, but I just don’t know if those guys are wise investments. Genuinely not sure what to do there. 

Totally agree here.  It is probably the biggest decision we have as a team other than the QB situation.  I don't agree with the advanced metric that claim Roullier is a top Center in the league.  I just don't see that production on the field.  That being said, he's a proven starting Center and someone is going to pay him relatively high money (just look at the money Moses got from us for being an average RT).  That is why I decided to retain just one of Scherff/Roullier.  I went with Scherff because when healthy I believe he is the superior player.  

Not a fan of Samuel for this team. I think it’s realistic, based on what I’ve seen from them so far, but it would be disappointing. I don’t think you can win long-term with all the east-west stuff, the screens and the jet sweeps and all that. And that’s what Samuel is. They tried to use him as more of a downfield receiver last season, and he was quite poor. We definitely need a WR2, but I think it has to be a more complete receiver who (like McLaurin) can effectively attack the defense at each level in the passing game. Don’t think we can be shelling out FA money for a gadget player. 

After watching this offense in action I actually think Samuel is an ideal fit for what they are trying to do.  You are correct in the east/west description, he's a get the ball in his hands and hope for YAC guy.  I think there is value in a guy that can take a 3 yard pass and turn it into 8 yards.  That essentially replaces the running game.  Add in the Rivera connection and he's another Ohio State guy and I think he could definitely be on our radar.  

Is Haason Reddick playing a 4-3 OLB type position? I thought he was essentially playing a 3-4 OLB spot with them. 

No he's still playing in their 3-4, but he's playing outside this year.  I think he would bring a pass rushing element our linebacking core doesn't really have.  I was hoping to add a new element to our linebacking core, and my initial thought was to look for an elite pass coverage guy.  But I didn't really see anyone in FA that fit that description, especially a younger guy that fits our timeline.  So I figured lets brining in someone who can get to the QB and play the run.  Hopefully Holecomb can get better in coverage, then I targeted some competition for Bostic in the draft.  

I like the Haskins trade, under the circumstances. I think a 4th and a player is about as good a return as they can expect given the way his value has been systematically destroyed. And I wouldn’t dare stand between a man and his VCU Ram.

Go Rams.

Overall, it’s a little conservative for me, but I think the team in reality is more conservative than I am, so it’s probably a good preview. We’d be a better team with these additions, I expect. Would the extra $22M (or the Kerrigan trade demand) change anything for you?

You can call it conservative but I think what the team needs is to continue taking baby steps instead of any major moves.  Our roster is really young and we should get better just from getting a little older.  

Regarding the $22 extra mil, Idk that would change my mind much.  The issue with FA wasn't the lack of money it was the lack of interesting targets.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ 

Here were my thoughts position by position:

QB - could we bring in a vet QB?  Sure.  But isn't Kyle Allen already that for us?  Plus we're going to want to draft someone.  I don't see the point here.  

HB - I'm not interested in spending money on this position.

WR - OK I think this is the most likely position we spend money on in FA.  But personally I think McLaurin is a legit #1, and I didn't want to bring in someone that undermines that.  So I was targeting someone who compliments him well and doesn't just take over his role.  That eliminated guys like Allen Robinson, TY Hilton and Sammy Watkins.  Also top end guys like that rarely even see FA anyways.  I don't think Tennessee lets Corey Davis hit FA, and John Ross is too unproven.  That left me with Will Fuller or Curtis Samuel.  I can understand the argument for Will Fuller as a deep threat, but McLaurin can be an excellent deep threat.  Curtis Samuel just gave us something different (plus I think he will be cheaper than Fuller). 

TE - Its basically Hunter Henry or a bunch of older guys.  Henry's injury history scares me so I went after Mo Allie Cox and made TE a priority in the draft instead.  

LT - Trent Williams?  Lol.  I kind of knew I was going with this in the first round of the draft so just skipped over this in FA. 

LG - I really want Charles to get a chance here so didn't want to block him with a high profile FA. 

OC - There's no one better ran Roullier other than maybe David Andrews (who's imo a lateral move) available in FA.  All the other options are old. 

RG - Brought back Scherff. 

RT - We have moses. 

DL - we have so much invested in the Dline I didn't want to spend money here. 

LBers - There are no MLBs under the age of 30 worth of note hitting FA.  Guys like Jarrad Davis, Raekwon McMillon and Reggie Ragland are available but all reclamation projects.  I would love to upgrade Bostic but I didn't see how.  So I upgraded KLP instead.  

CB - I decided to just stick with Darby.  Fuller is already pretty expensive.  I didn't see the point in spending more money here.  

S - Collins is already so expensive, that adding an expensive FS like Anthony Harris seems like a poor strategy to me.  We would have a ton of money spent into the two safety positions, which IMO are two of the least important positions on defense.  So instead I decided to just target a cheap FS option in the draft. 

So what would change with an extra $22 mil?  I would probably front load some of those contracts (Scherff, Samuel, Reddick), as right now I have them all projected to be backloaded.  I would also probably bite the bullet and retain Roullier on a 3 year deal.  Other than that not much.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

He was the next QB up on the mock I posted.  I didn't put much thought into it other than that.

No worries man. I really appreciate the mock and I know how much time you have to put into this to do it, so I'm very thankful for you posting it.

3 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

With out AB he is just a guy for the price he will comand.

He is a team guy and good attitudr though.

Well, we have Terry who takes most of the attention of opposing defenses so that would free up Juju if we got him to have more single coverage.

3 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

With out AB he is just a guy for the price he will comand.

He is a team guy and good attitudr though.

but we Have Terry, while not what AB was then for sure, good enough to be the 1 and let Juju eat at the 2.I'd love Juju if price was at all reasonable good compliment to Terry and Sims catching the ball and more then a willing blocker in screen and run game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well, we have Terry who takes most of the attention of opposing defenses so that would free up Juju if we got him to have more single coverage.

Rqther have a guy who can be 1 if Terry goes down. Robinson has shown he can be that guy and has played around less talent