2021 MLB Offseason Thread

beekay414

11 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

You think Kelenic and Gilbert have a legit grievance now?

Imagine, you are a new President of a baseball team. And you decide to put your three best "face of the franchise' players (Kelenic, Julio and Gilbert) on blast to get gut chuckles from rich boat boomers. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:35 PM, redsoxsuck05 said:

You think Kelenic and Gilbert have a legit grievance now?

When your owner essentially says no matter what happens they won't be up until X year (2022) or a certain date - yeah I'd say you have a legit grievance. This isn't a situation like with Vlad Jr. where he actually had to work on his defense - these guys are pro-ready and Mather just explicitly said they won't be getting called up until a calculated date. And he said that repeatedly.

God, I hate being a Mariners fan.

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

When your owner essentially says no matter what happens they won't be up until X year (2022) or a certain date - yeah I'd say you have a legit grievance. This isn't a situation like with Vlad Jr. where he actually had to work on his defense - these guys are pro-ready and Mather just explicitly said they won't be getting called up until a calculated date. And he said that repeatedly.

God, I hate being a Mariners fan.

Hey, at least you have Kelenic instead of Edwin Diaz and Robinson Cano!

23 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Yeah, Jared turning down that extension (which if he hits his ceiling is absolutely the right call) does not bode well for him staying in Seattle longterm.  

And I mean, who can blame him? 

"Hey, we know you're MLB-ready but we're just gonna....not promote you this year, but please sign this extension?"

"Uhhh, no?"

"Wow, you greedy little bastard!"

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And I mean, who can blame him? 

"Hey, we know you're MLB-ready but we're just gonna....not promote you this year, but please sign this extension?"

"Uhhh, no?"

"Wow, you greedy little bastard!"

You got Evan White to sign a bonkers extension a few years ago with that exact move. 

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

14 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You got Evan White to sign a bonkers extension a few years ago with that exact move. 

Yeah like @redsoxsuck05 pointed out, Evan White wasn't nearly the prospect that Kelenic is - even though he was an elite defensive 1B prospect, Kelenic has future MVP potential written all over him.

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah like @redsoxsuck05 pointed out, Evan White wasn't nearly the prospect that Kelenic is - even though he was an elite defensive 1B prospect, Kelenic has future MVP potential written all over him.

Both Eloy Jimenez and Luis Robert signed extensions with 0 MLB service time, and I'd argue both of them qualified as elite prospects. This tactic is being propagated more and more after the Astros did it with Jonathan Singleton, and the reason is because it works.

IMO, the biggest thing that would keep people from signing those mega-deals is the amateur bonus they get. Kelenic got drafted 6th overall and got like ~$5MM as a signing bonus. He's not desperate (though Luis Robert also got a huge bonus and he signed an extension, so everyone is different).

25 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Both Eloy Jimenez and Luis Robert signed extensions with 0 MLB service time, and I'd argue both of them qualified as elite prospects. This tactic is being propagated more and more after the Astros did it with Jonathan Singleton, and the reason is because it works.

IMO, the biggest thing that would keep people from signing those mega-deals is the amateur bonus they get. Kelenic got drafted 6th overall and got like ~$5MM as a signing bonus. He's not desperate (though Luis Robert also got a huge bonus and he signed an extension, so everyone is different).

But he knows the Mariners are manipulating his service time and refusing to call him up, and IIRC that contract also came with another Minor League Assignment clause. It was a no-brainer for him to not sign that. Maybe Evan White was different, or maybe Kelenic just didn't fall for the same trap others have. Idk.

45 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I bet Singleton is glad he took that deal. White will last longer than Jon because he's a much better athlete and takes baseball more seriously, but he's like a Travis Lee that sells out for power. In other words I didn't think he'd ever get $8M on an open market when he reaches free agency.

Edited by redsoxsuck05