2021 MLB Offseason Thread

beekay414

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

But he knows the Mariners are manipulating his service time and refusing to call him up, and IIRC that contract also came with another Minor League Assignment clause. It was a no-brainer for him to not sign that. Maybe Evan White was different, or maybe Kelenic just didn't fall for the same trap others have. Idk.

Yeah they're not perfectly analogous situations, and like @redsoxsuck05notes because Singleton is still pretty much the same player, there is risk for the team. I just think it's worth noting that players don't seem to be viewing these type of contract offers as a no-brainer rejection like we might expect them to.

16 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Not sure how much you expect when Hader had a bad 2020 (I know I know SSS) and It's been 2 years since Cain was a good baseball player.

It's more the philosophical objection to turning very good baseball players into money that we aren't going to spend 1:1.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

What a bizarre signing. Brewers are in full WTF mode but I guess since nobody else is signing anybody either.

One of the weirdest off-seasons in memory.

Stearns does weird **** before anyone else does it lol. Remember when he traded for Mike Moustakas and moved him to 2B? 

The one good thing about him is that he's able to take square pegs and get them rounded enough to get through the holes.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:31 AM, FGK said:

This breakdown is absolutely insane. How did he think this is okay? This is DEEPLY private info. I mean, some of it is just "rich dude who thinks he's above everyone around him", but good grief. 

What a POS and look at all the other old dudes enabling him.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:28 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

When your owner essentially says no matter what happens they won't be up until X year (2022) or a certain date - yeah I'd say you have a legit grievance. This isn't a situation like with Vlad Jr. where he actually had to work on his defense - these guys are pro-ready and Mather just explicitly said they won't be getting called up until a calculated date. And he said that repeatedly.

God, I hate being a Mariners fan.

Are we still complaining about teams utilizing the rules to their advantage?  This isn't some new or unique concept.  Teams have been manipulating service time since the beginning of these rules.  This is why we need a revamp of all the rules.  And unfortunately one of several reasons why I think a work stoppage is unavoidable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Are we still complaining about teams utilizing the rules to their advantage?  This isn't some new or unique concept.  Teams have been manipulating service time since the beginning of these rules.  This is why we need a revamp of all the rules.  And unfortunately one of several reasons why I think a work stoppage is unavoidable.

Teams don't openly admit they're manipulating service time though.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:41 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Teams don't openly admit they're manipulating service time though.

Criminals don't openly admit their crimes either.  But they still do them.  I would rather they all just admit it because then it would lead to change, but instead people are throwing stones at the Mariners like they arent doing the same exact things to their prospects.  

• Like 1