2021 MLB Offseason Thread

beekay414

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Criminals don't openly admit their crimes either.  But they still do them.  I would rather they all just admit it because then it would lead to change, but instead people are throwing stones at the Mariners like they arent doing the same exact things to their prospects.  

The difference between what happened here and the rest of the league is that the dude openly admitted to manipulating service time for several prospects. We all know every club does it, but nobody openly admitted it - until now.

19 hours ago, beekay414 said:

1. No infielders in the outfield - HATE IT WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. You don't want to hit into the shift learn to hit the other way

2. Bigger bases - I'm intrigued. I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other as to whether it will be good, but I'm certainly open to trying it out

3. Step off before pick off - 100% for it. Left handers shouldn't have a built in advantage to pick a guy off and frankly 90+% of the time they are balking and it isn't called.

4. Limit of pickoff attempts to 2 - I get the impulse as consistently throwing over is frustrating, but I don't think this is the right way. I particularly don't like that simply stepping off is considered and attempt. I get that it's to avoid a loophole but pitchers step off for more reasons than that.

5. Pace of play rules - 2 minutes between innings I'm good with. Pitching clocks I don't care anymore, they get implemented for a season an then ignored. I actually think batters are going to be more effected with what is essentially a 7 second clock on them. Get ready for everyone asking for time on every pitch. Probably has the opposite effect.

6. Robot umps - I'll reserve judgment. I'm one of the few here that has been hesitant to it, not because the real umps are good, but because I don't know that the robot umps will be better. Some of those issues were seen. I've also still yet to see how they ensure the strike zone is right for every player since up and down are relative to the batter. Is that a human adjusting it? If they can get good I'm for it, I love hawkeye in tennis for instance, but I still have some concerns about whether we are there yet

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 12:34 PM, mse326 said:

1. No infielders in the outfield - HATE IT WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. You don't want to hit into the shift learn to hit the other way

Agreed. Bunt for God's sake. 

3. Step off before pick off - 100% for it. Left handers shouldn't have a built in advantage to pick a guy off and frankly 90+% of the time they are balking and it isn't called.

It's aggravating as hell. 

6. Robot umps - I'll reserve judgment. I'm one of the few here that has been hesitant to it, not because the real umps are good, but because I don't know that the robot umps will be better. Some of those issues were seen. I've also still yet to see how they ensure the strike zone is right for every player since up and down are relative to the batter. Is that a human adjusting it? If they can get good I'm for it, I love hawkeye in tennis for instance, but I still have some concerns about whether we are there yet

I'm also intrigued to see how it goes. 

OU predictions per William Hill:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-win-totals-each-teams-2021-projection-plus-10-best-bets-on-over-unders/

Dodgers

Yankees

Padres

Braves

White Sox

Mets

Twins

Astros

Athletics

Blue Jays

Rays

Cardinals