2021 MLB Offseason Thread

beekay414

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/rick-porcello-should-have-a-job-by-now/

At this point I'm only left wondering if the league will be dumb enough to attempt playing scabs at some point next year.

Agree 100%.  My Orioles are out here trying to resurrect the corpses of Matt Harvey and Wade Leblanc, and also trotting out a knuckleballer (without a decent defensive catcher.......). 

It makes absolutely no sense to me why they, or some other teams that just need innings pitched, didn’t go get him.  And every team is going to need innings pitched this year.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Agree 100%.  My Orioles are out here trying to resurrect the corpses of Matt Harvey and Wade Leblanc, and also trotting out a knuckleballer (without a decent defensive catcher.......). 

It makes absolutely no sense to me why they, or some other teams that just need innings pitched, didn’t go get him.  And every team is going to need innings pitched this year.  

He is still everything you want out of a league average above replacement 1.5-2 WAR 3rd starter and he can't even get a workout. Game is so broken.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/rick-porcello-should-have-a-job-by-now/

At this point I'm only left wondering if the league will be dumb enough to attempt playing scabs at some point next year.

Keeping a running total of how many times you predict we wont have baseball. Last year the season wouldnt last past two weeks according to you, then a month, then it was stupid to even start playing. Do you just keep predicting the same thing year after year until youre "right"?

31 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Keeping a running total of how many times you predict we wont have baseball. Last year the season wouldnt last past two weeks according to you, then a month, then it was stupid to even start playing. Do you just keep predicting the same thing year after year until youre "right"?

You seriously need to stop being such a bizarre obsessive weirdo it's ******* creepy.

Jon Heyman -    A quick polling of MLB people suggests Lindor should take the $325M. Management folks ranged from yes to “he’d be nuts if he didn’t.” Agents saw it as a good/serious offer though a few suggested he spend 2 days left upping it to $335M or $350M and one said he’d hold out for $400M.

51 minutes ago, Leader said:

Jon Heyman -    A quick polling of MLB people suggests Lindor should take the $325M. Management folks ranged from yes to “he’d be nuts if he didn’t.” Agents saw it as a good/serious offer though a few suggested he spend 2 days left upping it to $335M or $350M and one said he’d hold out for $400M.

And to think people are clamoring for them to make MORE money.😄

9 hours ago, Leader said:

Francisco Lindor wants more like 12 years close to $400 million, according to a source. The Mets offered 10 years at $325 million, which is their “best and final offer.”

This seems reasonable for both sides to me tbh. If I'm Lindor, I take it. It's to the point where the juice on the extra $25MM you may find out there isn't worth the risk, especially with the CBA looming.

Meanwhile the Astros offered Correa 6/$120MM, which is more like 2021 baseball. But at least the Mets and Padres are trying  - credit where it's due.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Gross.  There are always some guys you go ahead and overpay compared to what their expected production will be.  Rizzo is one of those guys.  But I'm not suprised that they are lowballing him.  That second Ricketts yacht is much more important than keeping around the longest tenured Cub; captain of the curse-breaking 2016 team; perennial Roberto Clemente Award nominee; etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This seems reasonable for both sides to me tbh. If I'm Lindor, I take it. It's to the point where the juice on the extra $25MM you may find out there isn't worth the risk, especially with the CBA looming.

Meanwhile the Astros offered Correa 6/$120MM, which is more like 2021 baseball. But at least the Mets and Padres are trying  - credit where it's due.

I take that if I'm Lindor as well. 

MLB -    The Mets have made Lindor an offer of 10 years and $325 million, which would more than double the largest previous commitment in franchise history. Lindor's camp is seeking a 12-year deal worth $385 million, which would be the largest contract extension in Major League history, topping the 12-year, $365 million deal that Mookie Betts signed with the Dodgers last year.

A source said the Mets' offer is their best and final attempt to sign Lindor, who has made it clear that he won't negotiate past Opening Day. The source said the Mets have put their own Opening Day deadline on their offer and stepped away from the negotiating table.

In other words, Lindor can take it or leave it.

///

Who's gonna blink?

2 hours ago, Leader said:

MLB -    The Mets have made Lindor an offer of 10 years and $325 million, which would more than double the largest previous commitment in franchise history. Lindor's camp is seeking a 12-year deal worth $385 million, which would be the largest contract extension in Major League history, topping the 12-year, $365 million deal that Mookie Betts signed with the Dodgers last year.

A source said the Mets' offer is their best and final attempt to sign Lindor, who has made it clear that he won't negotiate past Opening Day. The source said the Mets have put their own Opening Day deadline on their offer and stepped away from the negotiating table.

In other words, Lindor can take it or leave it.

///

Who's gonna blink?

Lindor

And this is one few contract negotiations in the past few years where both sides are being completely reasonable in their asking and offering so far. Ultimately whoever blinks doesn't get screwed. And I'd be shocked if they don't agree to terms at this point. They are far too close at such a high value already that I don't see both sides willing to just walk away

• Like 1